Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Inception!!!!

i dont wanna argue about how good or bad it was, im just saying what im thinking.
    Ok, everyone after watching this movie were shocked, full of questions etc... but what about the story? will you remember it after few years? i dont think so
    Dont get me wrong, the idea of the film is brilliant, but the delivery could have been way better.

And one other point. Everyone seems to "get" it afer watching it and thats the main point why this movie is not brilliant
    The mindblowing movie, like someone calls it, shouldnt explain every last detail.
    Last edited by Fright; 12-14-2010 at 02:33 PM.
    Stay Off The F*&?%$' Flowers

Banned

it was a pretty unique movie, i have never seen one like it.

I dont know where anyone is thinking they are smart because they "get it".

Some people don't like movies like this, some do.

I found it very interesting, it allowed you to interpret things many ways and it leaves you thinking if you got that deep into the story.

if you didn't than so be it.

Quote Originally Posted by Fright View Post
    Ok, everyone after watching this movie were shocked, full of questions etc...

Everyone seems to "get" it afer watching it and thats the main point why this movie is not brilliant
    yeah... ok. lol

Movie of the year 4 me.

crushed out heavenly Ghost In The 'Lac's Avatar

alllll day

avatar was a good movie no doubt. not much in terms of storyline or depth of character tho. it was fun to look at for a few hrs.

idk how you rate ur flicks but yeah... you're wrong.

. how many movies these days display impressive amounts of character depth. no mucho.

the problem people have with Avatar is, they like to compare it to every single type of movie that ever came out. youre all basically paying it a massive compliment. you dont compare T2: Judgement Day to Mullholland Drive, but everyone would agree T2 is a classic movie.

We're talking about film making. And no other Film in history of film making has ever created anything like Avatar before. Thats all that needs to be said about that.

Quote Originally Posted by Ghost In The 'Lac View Post
    no other Film in history of film making has ever created anything like Avatar before.
    wait...what?

what do you mean by that exactly?

if we're talking about creating immersive worlds beyond our own with fully realized non-human characters...star wars did that over 30 years ago, 'brah'.

let me say...
    I LOVE AVATAR...for what it is.

BUT

the technical aspects of how avatar was created all stand on the shoulders of the work lucas did for Ep 1,2 &3.

and so now we r supposed rate avatar on a sliding scale cause most movies suck in terms of character depth?

but even there you are dead wrong.
    book of eli
    get him to the greek
    Scott Pilgrim

showed more character depth and story telling innovation than avatar.

"TOY STORY 3" and "UP" ...two movies that dealt with the same challenges that Avatar did. (animated characters) had waaaaaayyyy more character depth than avatar.

just say that you like the movie cause its a personal preference.
    not for some made up bs argument for the sake of being different on wutang-corp.com

^well the 'characterization' in avatar was so broad and rooted in archetypes (some might say cliches) of 'adventure' films, that i assumed it was a conscious decision on cameron's part, so he could focus on the aspects of the movie that were more interesting to him and so that the basic aspects of the movie could be grasped and understood by anyone.

technical innovations don't make a great movie anyway. they're a bonus.

i also don't think inception was abstract or ambiguous on the level of a david lynch film, but it definitely dealt with some provocative concepts in greater depth than most films do. The brilliance of the movie for me is that, while there were complex ideas at play and fun maze-like construction to it...the story was still rooted in real human emotions and behavior.

Like Style said, there was stuff going on with Cobb's dead wife (her decline could be viewed as a metaphor for drug addiction), his estrangement from his family, his psychological problems...to say nothing of the technical aspects, acting, art direction, cinematography, etc...it was very well written and constructed, and the fact that some smug 'faggits' are both underrating and over-rating it shouldn't detract from that.
    Last edited by Dr. Simon Hurt; 12-14-2010 at 10:46 PM.

i felt the father/son relationship of fisher and his own projection of what he believed to be his father was interesting.

then there is the concept of inception itself. did they really plant an idea? i'm beginning to think that they didn't. they just cleared a path for fisher to receive his own inspiration.

this ties in closely to the akashic record that i'm studying now. basically, all timelines of all possible realities and universes in a multiverse quantum model, are connected in the zero point field and that one can access the knowledge of everything by "downloading"data from this field.

it is said that this field is where inspiration, ideas and dejavu come from.

Quote Originally Posted by Pandemic View Post
    wait...what?

what do you mean by that exactly?

if we're talking about creating immersive worlds beyond our own with fully realized non-human characters...star wars did that over 30 years ago, 'brah'.
    reach

Quote Originally Posted by STYLE View Post
    let me say...
    I LOVE AVATAR...for what it is.

BUT

the technical aspects of how avatar was created all stand on the shoulders of the work lucas did for Ep 1,2 &3.

and so now we r supposed rate avatar on a sliding scale cause most movies suck in terms of character depth?

but even there you are dead wrong.
    book of eli
    get him to the greek
    Scott Pilgrim

showed more character depth and story telling innovation than avatar.

"TOY STORY 3" and "UP" ...two movies that dealt with the same challenges that Avatar did. (animated characters) had waaaaaayyyy more character depth than avatar.

just say that you like the movie cause its a personal preference.
    not for some made up bs argument for the sake of being different on wutang-corp.com
    lol so what book of eli and get hm to the greek sucked so who cares avatar is a better movie stop comparing it to every genre of film that you wanna cherry pick for attributes of film making

Quote Originally Posted by Pandemic View Post

technical innovations don't make a great movie anyway. they're a bonus.

yeah they do, and no theyre not.

when you create an entire planet in the detail and lushness Avatar did, it goes waayyyyyy past mere "technical" innovation my dear watson, step your game up.

As for Inception, I watched it twice at the cinema, 2nd time I was more than slightly bored by the end. Its a pretty boring and shallow movie. Yeah, he had a "clever" idea, but the way you lemonheads cream your pyjamas because he came up with the idea of dreams within dreams, is embarrasing. Its really not that clever, but I can see it being very hard to film, he did pull that off well, techinically, it was a big success in organisation and editing.

then again, maybe it wasnt, because it confused everybody, but then he can fall back and say well, that was the idea hurp durp, and once again im chris nolan and im not good enough to think of good endings so ill just leave the ending completely open and hope people call me a genius for it.

Banned

The Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer portrayed by Phil Hartman on SNL in the 90's had more character depth than anyone from avatar

so now you wanna nit pick about the type of movie avatar is compared to?
    okay lets put Star Wars Episode 3 (the last one made) up against Avatar.

tell me how avatar did anything new besides the facial camera stuff.

alien worlds? SW had like 5 of em in one movie.
    creatures?....uhhh yeah
    action? epic fight scenes. as a matter of fact avatar's fights were pretty weak.
    interesting concept? planetary lifeforce (avatar) vs universal force (SW)

man why am i even wasting my time? you're an idiot.

tell me how avatar did anything new besides the facial camera stuff.
    lul wut foo

He literally invented a whole new way of filming a film. 70% of Avatars footage was CGI, 0% of that was noticable. His camara also renders the environment in real time on his screen as hes shooting, allowing him to "move around" the world as if hes really there. Rather than filming something on a green screen, then going back to a computer where it renders, and then editing it from there.

Cameron developed a way to actually BE in Pandora, with his camera, in real time. Not to mention he took filming in 3D to a whole new era, with brand new advanced methods not before seen.

as a matter of fact avatar's fights were pretty weak.

When Quaritich jumped out the ship with his suit on = ultimate epicness
    When Tsu'tey launched onto the ship from his banshee and bitch whipped a few soldiers before dramtically being tossed off = ultimate drama
    The final battle between Quartich and Sully, pure tension
    When Sully jumps onto the ship and chucks a few grenades into the air ducts, =epic
    When the planets animals ccome together and appear out the forest = epic

The last half of the film had so many epic battle scenes, you lost boy.