Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: should hollywood stop with the comic book movies already?

A bit off topic but i think the same arguement can made about video game adaptions...

there were 3 punisher movies btw

One of my biggest problems is they set them in the wrong time. Captain American was a world war 2 super soldier. I don't want him updated and turned into a PTSD political statement or something. I want to see a one man army fucking shit up from D Day to Berlin where he personally rips Hitler a new asshole with the irreverence of Inglorious Bastards. You know, a proper ultra patriotic Nazi slam fest. Then in the last scene tosses his VE Day newspaper in the fire of a burning panzer tank and says something like "I'm thinking this Stalin bastard needs a fucking good lickin'." He should be like a young George Patton with super powers.

Ironman was fucking shit up in Vietnam. I want a patriotic view of Vietnam. These are superheroes, they represent the American spirit, my opinion is you don't shit on America, ever. And I want at least a Ghostface Killah cameo (cough War Machine cough). He deserves it... Tony Starks my nigga!

Batman should be set in either the 1920s or the 1960s in Chicago. You know, fisticuffs with the mob and shit. Beating down thugs with their own tommy guns and shit. Telling that "Untouchable" Elliot Ness to shove it up his ass. That's cinema.

I mean they don't try to do Sherlock Holmes in 2010. The only attempt at that was House MD which would suck miserably if Hugh Lauries wasn't a genius actor. As is its still stupid at times because you realize that every episode is solved and everyone expects him to kill the guy instead of saving him every fucking episode... but that's not really because of the setting.

You know what I'd like to see? A better version of The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen. For arguably the best idea ever in modern fiction, they made a second rate movie. I mean I love Connery so he can do no wrong, but that movie could have been a lot better. I'm a bit of a Victorian science fiction lover myself, so here's what I want to see for a "comic book movie":

The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen: War of The Worlds

Worthy of being written by Alan Moore. You know, Volume II. Since the original movie was loosely based on the first volume and there are 4 volumes (including black dossier) they can make an unrelated sequel without trampling on the first one or acknowledging its lackluster quality. Oh and make it R. I want to see hyde (who looks like a steroided out Nosferatu) rip someone in half/eat them... a little? I mean watchmen wasn't terrible, they can make decent movies with comic book heroes. I'm not sure it should be a Zack Snyder movie, but he's probably one of the only directors who has made comic book movie work almost to its fullest.

IMO, if it's Alan Moore, make it smart. If its DC make it over the top violent. If its Marvel make it feel good but not in a goody goody way.
    HANKERING FOR SOME BEEF CURTAINS

One of the problems is that comicbooks (graphics and the written word combined) is a strong medium in its own right, and allows for things that just aren't possible in a film (or at the very least very hard to pull off).

For example, a lot of comix will have a running naration which is hard to do on film. Also, comix can show you the thoughts of characters in writing, which is hard to pull off in film. There are many more examples.

A lot of the stuff that "happens" in comics, happens in our heads. To use Scott McCloud's example, when someone raises an axe in one frame, and then there's a head in the basket in the next frame, our mind creates the killing in that little blank column in between. This is happening time and time again throughout the entire comic. Tapping into that is virtually impossible in film.

Its like, yo every supes story you ever read happened partly in your head. Can a hollywood film ever really match that?

peace