0 0%
  • DOPE (3STARS & TIME WILL TELL)

1 33.33%
  • NOPE IT'S FUCKING WACK

1 33.33%

Thread: Ras kass-adidas album review

aka The Chaotica SHEEPISH LORD OF CHAOS's Avatar

Default Ras kass-adidas album review

You know when Ras Kass dropped the West Coast version of “Illmatic” which was properly titled called “Soul On Ice” whom would have thought the “Waterproof EMCEE” would still be spitting at the level or near the level he did almost 16 plus years ago. Now on his 3rd or 5th album if you count the oft delayed and shelved “Golden Child” & “Van Gogh” albums then you'll see why the A.D.I.D.A.S (All Day I Dream About Spitting) is very important right now in this day and age in rap music. The album is packed with that lyrical coldness and dope production by DJ Rhettimatic of the Beat Junkies, Danja and The Futurisktics whom round out the album with some of the best songs.

With tracks like the Fergie sampled “3008” and the banging drums that smash that song, spitting by Ras Kass showing why lyrically he's ahead of the pack. And as you cycle through the double disc album you have the ill dark ominiussssss song by the Horsemen better known as Killah Priest, Canibus, Ras Kass & Kurupt where they spit flames withhilariousrious Kat Williams sketch mixed in to give it that snatch and grab feeling on the song entitled “That Shit Right Here”. Where the album really shines it's golden halo is on tracks like “Goldyn Child”, “Where Did She Go”, and the declarations to hip hop on tracks like “Linguisticsss” featuring Skillz and “State of the Union” featuring Jean Grae & Nino Bless.

This album purely is a work for the fans, because it was spawned by the fan outcry lead to the use of the website Kick-starterr to make this happen, and I think Ras Kass was the artist that has had the insight from a business aspect to spearhead this effort and show the industry you don't need label backing you can do it yourself if you have the right attitude.

This album may have the lyricism aspect down locked but the combination of west coast underground vibe on a level only Ras Kass can do, is the cometh of this cup that hasn't runth over at all. Overall this album is a solid 4 out of 5, still the double disc curse is apparent hear with too many features, too many track yadda yadda but at the same time Ras hasn't a real album out besides his mix-tape/street albums in a long while so this is a time where I can turn one eye away and bump to my minds desires.
    Last edited by SHEEPISH LORD OF CHAOS; 07-26-2010 at 07:33 AM.

this is uploaded to the mp3 player but i have yet to listen to it but based on the good reviews i've seen on it (like yours) it will be an enjoyable listen.

daily updates: news, articles, reviews, the best compilations on the net. that true skool street hop!

r.i.p. Johan D, Kaddu, Ricke a.k.a. "Slick Rick" and the rest of the fallen soldiers - you'll never be forgotten!

The album is one of the best this year in my opinion. Definitely one of the first albums to check for in the record store. I've only heard about 10 tracks but they're all gems.

aka The Chaotica SHEEPISH LORD OF CHAOS's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Sense-A View Post
    The album is one of the best this year in my opinion. Definitely one of the first albums to check for in the record store. I've only heard about 10 tracks but they're all gems.
    it's not in the record store you have to go to savetheraskass.com to purchase it or i think it's on itunes

gotta say, while every track isnt a winner, whats good is really good on this.

best ras album i've heard in a minute. good guests and ras is on point. def worth checkin out.
    "Fuck Wu Tang Corp" - The GZA/Genius

https://soundcloud.com/gptent/tito-lo-blak-hell

Sleepyheaded Nonsense Dr Sleepwalker's Avatar

I thought this shit was pretty weak.. aside from a handful of tracks, this was major soft effort. I mean, it's a 22+ track deal, and theres only a few bangers... smh

-

LOL@Dr Sleepwalker dissing Ras Kass's new album hahahahahahahahaha. I wouldn't be surprised if it's wack and i haven't heard it yet. His albums aren't good but he's a ill mc. LOL@the writer who reviewed the album saying his Soul On Ice album is the west coast version of Nas's Illmatic album hahahahahahahahahahaha. Soul On Ice doesn't even come close to being as good as Illmatic LOL.

NOt a great album but has some great songs.

Love that HRSMN Track

I think all you are still sleepin'.

I'm STILL loving tracks such as 'Where Did She Go' talking about the status of hip hop.

And 'Linguistics' is fucking fire

And 'Scenario 2012' has a sick beat and a dangerous fucking lineup!

Then 'Visine" just has a sick beat and I actually like the funky hook.

Then 'In My Lane' goes hard

'Me and My Twins' got some young cat going back and forth with Ras over what sounds like a Dr. Dre beat...

'Release Yaself' is fucking dopeness

And we haven't even talked about DISC 2 yet!!

You got 'Heatwave' poppin off disc 2

'Mind Control' with Ice T!

I could go on and on...

I really don't even skip a track on this shit and its 2 CDS!!!

The guest appearances, DJ Rhettmatic doing it like a pro, the witty punchlines, Ras Kass putting this out himself, etc.

I still uphold this as one of the top 5 hip hop album releases this year. I haven't liked a Ras Kass album this much since soul on ice over a decade ago. You could argue that the album would be better without disc 2 but when is that ever NOT the case?

Okay 7 years later I'm digging this back up. Album was slept on. Still slept on.

Why didn't this album get more love?

It deserves 4/5 stars in my opinion.