Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: The Chronic or 2001?

Default The Chronic or 2001?

Today I look at the discussion of which album people like better and what it says about them based on their preference

http://www.reppghhiphop.com/2010/08/...ronic-vs-2001/

Recently I bumped The Chronic, as I always do at least once every summer as even though it was a winter album, it’s perfect for those hot summer days. After also seeing a discussion regarding which album was preferred, The Chronic or its follow-up, 2001, I was quite surprised at some of the responses. So for the purposes of completely reducing hip hop fans to one of two trivial labels, it seems that people are either a Chronic fan or a 2001 fan, and the differences define the type of rap fan you are.

For starters, there’s the obvious generation gap. While The Chronic came out in 1992, it wasn’t until 7 years later that 2001 was unleashed on us by the diggy-diggy Doc yall. This means that for swarms of fans, The Chronic is only heard in historical context. However even with the large gap in time, the similarities in the albums as well as the differences are part of what defines the two sets of hip hop fans.

I’m a Chronic fan. I bumped that album start to finish countless times in my youth and although I definitely didn’t understand every message or anecdote, I still loved every second of that record. From the way Snoop dominated that album to the way the guests like RBX and Lady of Rage and obviously the Dogg Pound contributed, that was and still is one of the most important records in hip hop history. Fast forward to 1999 when a new generation of kids had grown up knowing of “Nuthin’ But a G Thang” as being one of those “old school” tracks and here they get a full album of Dr. Dre complete with another lineup of guest artists and that Cali funk production. Their experience may have been similar to mine back in 1992 and subsequently, their opinion of the Doctor was formed and hung more so on “2001” than the album they were mere infants for.

I personally think 2001 sucks. It’s boring, it’s nowhere near as good as its predecessor, the guests are terrible (aside from the west coast legends as well as Snoop and Xzibit) and the production is decent but it doesn’t come close to the potential Dre can (could) offer. But is that only because I grew up with The Chronic? Is that why these younger fans love 2001 because to them, that’s when Dr. Dre was big? Or does it really say something about a person’s taste when they say The Chronic is ok but that 2001 is better?

It’s funny how similar the albums are, especially as far as the guest appearances. The way Hittman and Knoc’turnal are completely irrelevant is sort of like how we all loved RBX and the first lady of the Row (after Michel’le, #milkcartonstatus) but never bought their albums. The Dogg Pound makes their appearances on 2001 but it’s not like they really blew up with “Dogg Food” and by 1999 people had stopped checking for them anyways (pause). Add in that same g-funk feeling and the familiar subject matter and it becomes a defining question, which one do you prefer, the debut or the follow-up? Does your preference have to do with your age or entrance into hip hop? Does your preference come from a completely unbiased listen to both albums or does it stem from a personal meaning that one album has to you over the other?

To me it says something when you ask the question and the response is “oh I like 2001 better”. It tells me a lot about the person, whether or not that’s being superficial I really don’t care, it basically tells me that this person will probably disagree with more of my views on hip hop than they will agree. It doesn’t bother me, it just provides insight to the type of fan I’m dealing with. At the end of the day I can throw in The Chronic any time and enjoy the memories of MTV Beach House and a top 20 videos that actually consisted of entire clips being shown, but you won’t catch me reliving the Y2K madness anytime soon with 2001. But nevermind my arrogant opinion, which one of these records elevates YOU more?
    "We accept tires" - Cappadonna

The Chronic ignited the East Coast gangster rap era. It is legendary. 2001 was a side note.

Quote Originally Posted by beautifulrock View Post
    The Chronic ignited the East Coast gangster rap era. It is legendary. 2001 was a side note.
    haw haw

I understand that it's a west coast album. I didn't misspeak. Many east coast gangster albums were influenced by The Chronic, including 36 Chambers.

The Chronic is the better album by far.
    I personally think it's one of the best produced albums.

Quote Originally Posted by beautifulrock View Post
    damn, that was perfectly summed up right there. 100% agree

Are you joking? The Chronic of course.

Quote Originally Posted by MaskedAvenger View Post
    Are you joking? The Chronic of course.
    you'd be surprised how many people say "2001". young'ns

Quote Originally Posted by buckshotstheone View Post
    you'd be surprised how many people say "2001". young'ns
    I know, I was actually going to post that anybody who was already a hip hop head when the Chronic came out would never say 2001 is better than the original Chronic.

Drunk Off Titty Milk!!!! BRONZBODY's Avatar

Chronic 92>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> >>>>>2001

i like 2001 more...the only song thats really bangin on chronic is nuthin but a g thang, fuck wit dre day and bitches aint shit are also good, but i think the other songs are kinda boring....i was a little disappointed by the chronic when i listened to it the first time, i heard so much of "dopest album ever" and shit but i didnt really like it...pprobably bedause i grew up with still d.r.e., what will always be the definition of a motherfuckin classic to me

Drunk Off Titty Milk!!!! BRONZBODY's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by E-Z View Post
    i like 2001 more...the only song thats really bangin on chronic is nuthin but a g thang, fuck wit dre day and bitches aint shit are also good, but i think the other songs are kinda boring....i was a little disappointed by the chronic when i listened to it the first time, i heard so much of "dopest album ever" and shit but i didnt really like it...pprobably bedause i grew up with still d.r.e., what will always be the definition of a motherfuckin classic to me
    ok i can respect that. Chronic was before ya time and is not to ya taste.

Quote Originally Posted by E-Z View Post
    Deez Nuts, Let Me Ride, Stranded On Deathrow... but if it was before your time than i guess that's understandable.

i grew up with "The Chronic" but "2001" is close to equal for me, how the fuck is that not one of the best produced albums of all time?

daily updates: news, articles, reviews, the best compilations on the net. that true skool street hop!

r.i.p. Johan D, Kaddu, Ricke a.k.a. "Slick Rick" and the rest of the fallen soldiers - you'll never be forgotten!

-

E-Z, shut the fuck up LOL. How can you say The Chronic has some boring songs? Every song on there is tight. Only song i don't listen to that much on there is Little Ghetto Boy. The Chronic is better than Chronic 2001. Chronic 2001 wasn't all that good to me. He has a few songs on there i like. Let's Get High song on Chronic 2001 is the shit. I love that joint. Kurupt, Dr Dre, a guy and a female rap on that one. My only problem with that song is it's too short. I like the beginning of the song when some guys say all these niggas and all these hoes in here, somebody here gon fuck LOL. Some LA Niggaz song is tight too. My boy MC Ren talks at the beginning of the song. I wish he would've rapped on that song. Still Dre song is the shit too of course and The Next Episode song is tight. The Chronic has so many hard ass songs that i love like Dre Day, Let Me Ride, Nuthin But A G Thing, A Nigga Witta Gun, Rat Tat Tat Tat, Lyrical Gangbang, High Powered, Stranded On Death Row. The Chronic album cover is classic too. Nice picture of Dr Dre looking hard LOL.