Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: The Chronic or 2001?

I like them equally...maybe Chronic by a hair but I was in the middle of high school when 2001 dropped. I don't know if I qualify as a "young hip-hop fan", thats subjective. To some fans 2001 is "old school"....lol.

Quote Originally Posted by BRONZBODY View Post
    Chronic 92>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> >>>>>2001
    Thats how it is.

Let's try an analogy

The Chronic is to the invention of the wheel as Chronic 2001 is to the invention of the electric toothbrush.

2001, without question. I find the production on The Chronic a bit predictable when listening to it (still a great album though). Doggystyle was better if you ask me.

Still Dre, The next episode, Fuck you, Forgot about dre, Xxplosive, Big ego's, What's the difference and Bitch niggas (that's cinematic as fuck, the production was used in a scene in Bad boys 2) are my favourites.

I also like the lyrics of 2001 better. It has Nate dogg doing great, Eminem's humour and darkness, Dre telling more personal stories etc. Xzibit bringing a good verse too.

The album is 11 years old now. Stop "accusing" people of being young if they don't share the same opinion as yourself.
    "Motherfuckers say that I'm foolish, that I only talk about jewells, do you fools listen to music or do you just skim through it?" - Jay-Z

i think both of them are pretty shitty on a lyrical level, but the songs are catchy and usually delivered with enough flair and charisma for it to fly (and they can easily be sung along too...their both party albums)

i liked 2001's production better as well as the cleanliness of the mixing; also it created it's own sound, which, for better or worse, has become identified with dr dre every since. basically, every song doesn't sound like a derivative of 'mothership connection' or 'funkentelechy vs the placebo syndrome)...both albums are milestones and classics due to their impact.

but really there basically the same album, just in different eras. west coast funk rap with large doses of violence, misogyny, gay bashing, drugs and humor. one has alot of sampling because that was the thing to do in 92, and one has alot of keyboards and instruments because...

lol @ 'i'll look at what it says about you as a person'

i was a freshman in high school when '2001' was released, and i think people fail to remember how huge and ubiquitous '2001' was (for over a year, this was played at every house party i went to) and how this and SSLP and MMLP made Dre a legend to people who were still nickoledeon when the first chronic dropped.

Quote Originally Posted by beautifulrock View Post
    Let's try an analogy

The Chronic is to the invention of the wheel as Chronic 2001 is to the invention of the electric toothbrush.
    that analogy doesn't work though...how is 'the chronic' comparable to 'the invention of the wheel?'...i guarantee anything that 'the chronic' did that could possibly be regarded as 'innovative' had already been done on other albums that are also regarded as classics.

Yea, I guess you're just smarter than me. I mean, you really told me.

By the way, that wasn't at all where I was going with that analogy, but like I said you know better than me, you always know better. In fact, you are the smartest person I ever met. Thank God you aren't so humble as to not correct the things I say even when I'm not wrong. It's these little moments that allow me to get up in the morning and make life worthwhile.

Man in the sky bless you.

Slurm Hostep

^or you know, you could've debated it with me, or clarified your viewpoint.

spazzing works too, i guess.

Both great inventions, one slightly more necessary than the other.

That was slightly sardonic.

Clear enough?

Why do actual discussions on this forum always get derailed by gen chat fags engaged in e-beef?

Quote Originally Posted by CharlesJones View Post
    Thanks for your hate hahahahahahahahahahahahahaha.

There's no beef, relax faggot. Pandemic is a good guy, a bit overzealous, but I don't think he throws cats in the trash or nothin'.

Quote Originally Posted by Divine_Complex View Post
    Why do actual discussions on this forum always get derailed by gen chat fags engaged in e-beef?
    Yeah, its stupid at times.

I dont see a problem making analogies of what an album brought to a genre through a known invention timeline. Preferences have nothing to do with whose smart...especially with rap records.

You could compare Miles Davis' Kind of Blue and Bitches Brew but even then thats not even close to parallel with Dre's 2 LPs being discussed.

Starvin' individuals kill Tommy's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by JakobR View Post
    Doggystyle was better if you ask me.
    Agreed.

I love both albums, but I'm going with 2001 for the fact it was one of the first hip hop albums I bought and I've kinda grown with it. I've got good memories of some of the tracks from 2001 coming on at parties and such and just absolutely loving them.

Two hip hop classics definitley, though.

Quote Originally Posted by beautifulrock View Post
    There's no beef, relax faggot. Pandemic is a good guy, a bit overzealous, but I don't think he throws cats in the trash or nothin'.

I'm all for fuckin' around on teh webz, but it's always gen chat regs that go 20 post bouts with each other on threads outside of gen.

That subversive bullshit ain't funny.

Quote Originally Posted by CharlesJones View Post
    Thanks for your hate hahahahahahahahahahahahahaha.