Thread: KRS-One & True Master - Meta-Historical

Default KRS-One & True Master - Meta-Historical

1. Intro
    2. Murda Ya’
    3. Madonna & Child (Skit)
    4. Unified Field (f/ Dr. Oyibo)
    5. Gimme Da 90’s
    6. Revelation (Skit)
    7. Knowledge Reigns Supreme (f/ True Master)
    8. My Mind (Skit)
    9. Palm & Fist
    10. One Of Them Days
    11. Ancient Hip Hop (Skit)
    12. Old School Hip Hop (f/ Jersey)
    13. Naga (Skit)
    14. 1-2, Here’s What We Gone Do (f/ RZA)
    15. Freeman (Skit)
    16. Meta-Historical
    17. The Struggle (Skit)
    18. Street Rhymer (f/ Cappadonna)
    19. He’s Us (f/ True Master)
    20. Outro

Veteran Member

Skits bring it down Chamber Music style, but I def enjoyed some of KRS's verses & RZA's especially

i love this album, straight up. ever since i got it early there hasn't been a day that i haven't played this through at least once, in fact i have a free day today and i'm banging the CD loud as fuck on my system right now lol. for my mp3-player i deleted some of the skits but not all, "Intro", "Outro", "The Struggle" and "My Mind" is kept. the skits are good but they will get tiresome after a while of course, but it doesn't really bring the album down that much for me. "Chamber Music" had more and longer skits, overall there's more music on "Meta Historical" and some of the skits are brilliant in it's own right.

KRS-One and True Master is really a powerful MC/producer combination to me, Tru really brought out the boom bap on this one; utilizing a lot of dope chopped up samples in True True Mas style. The way he chops up The Dramatic's "In The Rain" on "Palm & Fist" had my head popping off my shoulders at first and "Murdah Ya" compliments the raw hardcore ragga flavor Kris comes with perfectly. i wasn't sure what True Master was gonna bring to the table since we haven't really heard much from him since 2005,2006 but in my opinion he hasn't lost a step. these beats are on the level of tracks like "Biscuits", "Fast Cars", "Damascus" and others he dropped in the new millenium. KRS can be real boring when he picks weak beats but once he's backed by something on this level it's easy to see why alot of peeps hold him as one of the best MC's in the game. he touches on a variety of topics on here and pulls it off wheter it be hammering on sucker MC's on "Murdah Ya" or speaking metaphysical teachings on "Palm & Fist" and the title track, etc.

the 3 guest MC's from the Wu all ripped the shit too, RZA had a ill verse altho his energy didn't match Kris but Cappa and True Master? goddamn!! i would love if True produced an entire album with him MCing on it (but alot of guests on there as well). i'ma let this album sink in for a while so i ain't rating it but at the moment it's easily in my top-3 of the year so far.

daily updates: news, articles, reviews, the best compilations on the net. that true skool street hop!

r.i.p. Johan D, Kaddu, Ricke a.k.a. "Slick Rick" and the rest of the fallen soldiers - you'll never be forgotten!

Veteran Member

"Chamber Music" had more and longer skits, "

Nope, there equal in amount. Both had 9 total skits.

"we haven't really heard much from him since 2005,2006 "

Umm 2007, 2008 & 2009 were his last productions actually. Damascus, Alphabets, Paper Plates & Fat Lady Sings
    Last edited by Jin10304; 09-02-2010 at 06:05 AM.

yeah but "Chamber Music" had 8 songs and 9 skits, i think if you take out the skits on both "Meta Historical" is about 10 minutes longer.

daily updates: news, articles, reviews, the best compilations on the net. that true skool street hop!

r.i.p. Johan D, Kaddu, Ricke a.k.a. "Slick Rick" and the rest of the fallen soldiers - you'll never be forgotten!

Quote Originally Posted by claaa7 View Post
    i love this album, straight up. ever since i got it early there hasn't been a day that i haven't played this through at least once, in fact i have a free day today and i'm banging the CD loud as fuck on my system right now lol. for my mp3-player i deleted some of the skits but not all, "Intro", "Outro", "The Struggle" and "My Mind" is kept. the skits are good but they will get tiresome after a while of course, but it doesn't really bring the album down that much for me. "Chamber Music" had more and longer skits, overall there's more music on "Meta Historical" and some of the skits are brilliant in it's own right.

KRS-One and True Master is really a powerful MC/producer combination to me, Tru really brought out the boom bap on this one; utilizing a lot of dope chopped up samples in True True Mas style. The way he chops up The Dramatic's "In The Rain" on "Palm & Fist" had my head popping off my shoulders at first and "Murdah Ya" compliments the raw hardcore ragga flavor Kris comes with perfectly. i wasn't sure what True Master was gonna bring to the table since we haven't really heard much from him since 2005,2006 but in my opinion he hasn't lost a step. these beats are on the level of tracks like "Biscuits", "Fast Cars", "Damascus" and others he dropped in the new millenium. KRS can be real boring when he picks weak beats but once he's backed by something on this level it's easy to see why alot of peeps hold him as one of the best MC's in the game. he touches on a variety of topics on here and pulls it off wheter it be hammering on sucker MC's on "Murdah Ya" or speaking metaphysical teachings on "Palm & Fist" and the title track, etc.

the 3 guest MC's from the Wu all ripped the shit too, RZA had a ill verse altho his energy didn't match Kris but Cappa and True Master? goddamn!! i would love if True produced an entire album with him MCing on it (but alot of guests on there as well). i'ma let this album sink in for a while so i ain't rating it but at the moment it's easily in my top-3 of the year so far.
    Overall I'd give it a Good rating but its one of those albums imo you reaally need to listen to a few times. RZA's verse was good but almost half assed especially at the start

Cilvaring's Father deezGlazedTonsils1981's Avatar

sick sick sick album

8.5/10 - Superior

Both True Master and KRS compliment each other on this one. I was a bit worried at first because I didn't know if Wu/off beat sounding production would suit KRS style but to me it fits perfectly. Some of the True beats are mesmerizing. I find myself zoning out to the beat at times and then snap back to listening to the lyrics.

as everyone has said the skits are a bit much. maybe if they had cut out 3-4 of them or added different instrumentals to each one they wouldnt be as annoying but the stuff KRS is saying is still some good thought provoking stuff so I don't mind it all that much.

I'm loving this album though, this is straight hip hop, non watered down in it's purest form and I'm glad i copped.

Veteran Member

"yeah but "Chamber Music" had 8 songs and 9 skits"

Musically yeah Meta has more, I was just saying both albums share the same amount of skits.

Drunk Off Titty Milk!!!! BRONZBODY's Avatar

supreme album man.

i like the skits actually, they all go with the song that comes up next.

cappa went hard as shit for once. RZA verse was dope even if he kinda phoned it in. and True should rap more!!

9/10 easy.

this and marcberg are my albums of the year.

listening to some tracks on youtube. In dont have any KRS albums because he annoys me but Im copping this. He sound great of true master beats.

Mauling Panda's Rampage Dominus Santorini's Avatar

I had to give it a "Good" rating because in my mind Superior is damn near perfect while Classic, would be perfection.

Great album, a must buy but it does have it's obvious flaws.

dope album in my opinion..straight up hip hop to me...album grows on ya over time ..
    Last edited by J-Cee; 11-08-2010 at 09:59 AM.

Prince of the Non Ignorant weirdos

Banging l.p.;though I am disappointed that we finally get a project produced entirely by True Master and it is not with somebody from Wu Tang but is all True Master produced so that should leave no doubt about the quality as True Master is the best at dark beats out of all Wu Elements; yes, even better than Rza in my opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by BRONZBODY View Post
    supreme album man.

i like the skits actually, they all go with the song that comes up next.

cappa went hard as shit for once. RZA verse was dope even if he kinda phoned it in. and True should rap more!!

9/10 easy.

this and marcberg are my albums of the year.
    Cappa has been going very hard and been very entertaining/mad consistent past few years imo, check out Slang Prostitution if u havent done already 'Fire' with MK is dope. His verse on 10 Bricks owned everyone else on the track, hard to do on a Ghost/Chef track!

imo

peace

True Master is dope as hell on the mic. his verse on "He's Us" is easily in my top 3 favorite verses on the album.