2 20.00%

3 30.00%

5 50.00%

0 0%

0 0%

0 0%
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Common - Be

i would give commons albulm 4 mics! i liked the albulm alot! it had some hot tracks. i would of gave it 5 mics but is was lacking in producers. i would have to say kayne did a good job tho! common is aan incredible MC. common got a poetic style and thats wassup! i liked the albulm alot but i dont kno if it could be a classic! some 1 let me kno!

When I got this, I felt robbed for weeks, Then I read an article where Common said that it was a classic and I listened again in spite....... He was right. Even tho it only has 11 tracks or whatever. Guess he was keepin it ol' school. *shrugs*

One.

To Me This Is His 2nd Best Album...resurrection First(of Course) This Right Behind It...i Loved The First Two Lp's But From One Day....to Electric...he Kinda Lost Me....this Is The Common I Love...cant Wait For His New Album Hopefully Droppin Round September I Think

SHAOLIN STUDENT

Default Go

I don't like this album at all..

Lyrics are average, commons flow is boring.. only real pluspoint is the production.

My rating: 5/10
    ________
    Kizashi
    Last edited by beardman; 02-01-2011 at 07:59 AM.

The outro for the album is enough to uplift anybody.

i think its a strong album, i can listen to it a whole and not skip

-

I haven't liked Common since Resurrection album so i didn't even bother to listen to Be. Ever since he got with Erykah Badu, she turned him into a bitch and the clothes he wears is gay. He also needs to get off Kanye's dick and work with some other producers who can give him some hard beats instead of these gay Kanye beats he's been rapping over the last 2 albums. How is it that people never mention his first album Can I Borrow A Dollar? That album and Resurrection are his best albums.

Classic...

YOUR KING OF WUTANGCORP. Tony Bandana's Avatar

The Food is one of the most soulfull hiphop tracks i ever heard.

4/5

ONGH!!!! SHIT STINK BIG GATORZ , MY DETROIT PLAYAZ ONGH!!!

i don't know how you gonna say Common are an average lyricist, he got great lyrics with a lot of thought put into them and when he's on that shit he can flow his ass off. "Be" was a good redemption from the over-produced and over-blown experiment that was "Electric Circus". this has been said to be Com's most 'safe' album yet and i could definitely see where that statement is coming from, getting Kanye West to produce the album using his traditional production style aŽla 2005 with the soul samples.

neither lyrically or production-wise it's on par with "Like Water For Chocolate" and "Resurection" but that doesn't mean it's weak by any means. it's a very solid effort and i like the fact that it's a old-school 11 track 40 mintues long album without any wack songs on it. i think the album could've benefitted from some more Dilla production though, his two songs "Love Is" and "It's Your World" are the two best joints off the album and heavily outhsines West's production work.

4/5

daily updates: news, articles, reviews, the best compilations on the net. that true skool street hop!

r.i.p. Johan D, Kaddu, Ricke a.k.a. "Slick Rick" and the rest of the fallen soldiers - you'll never be forgotten!

I definitely enjoyed this album.

Kanye West has done a great job at the board while Common seems to be at his best; smooth flow and clever lyrics. When speaking of lyrics, I really think Common has done it his own way as he "paints" pictures with his lyrics (especially in Real people). His creative mulitisyllabic rhyming makes it easy for the listener to relate to what he's saying imo.

In general I just like his melodic style.

8/10
    Last edited by JakobR; 03-31-2010 at 08:00 AM.

since my CD-drive is fucked up and can't rip my Cd's i downloaded this album in order to put it on my iPod. it just so happened that i got my hands on an advance copy of the LP that i didn't even knew existed; it had a studio version of "The Food" featuring a third verse from Common, the song "They Say" still had John Legend and Common's vocals but instead of KanYe's weak verse there was one from Consequence (which was better imo). The kids was not featured at the end of "It's Your World" and the production on Part 2 was slightly different i think. anyone heard this?

daily updates: news, articles, reviews, the best compilations on the net. that true skool street hop!

r.i.p. Johan D, Kaddu, Ricke a.k.a. "Slick Rick" and the rest of the fallen soldiers - you'll never be forgotten!

Your fav. artist's artist fatboybrandon's Avatar

Common's Be maybe more simple in it's composition than some of his other albums, but that is what makes it good. It is an example of how hip hop music can be at it's greatest, to near classic level based on the simplicity of how it is made, taking from the basic structure of our Golden Era albums.

I feel Be is a good album within the total range of Common albums, even when you compare it against the other more raw sounding, sample based ones. The album was a little overhyped because of that review in XXL and the standard of music were lower, maybe because overall quality of hip hop reached a low point back in the mid 2000's.

Nevertheless, Be pushes the envelope in the way hip hop songs are made, Kanye and Jay Dee tap into the traditional elements of sample use and manipulation to bring a cohesive, soulful sound. The vivid street poetry and writing effort of Common is at a new height on Be, showing you he is one of the most talented MCs to describe the passion of ghetto experience, bringing cinematic images of history, music and Black culture forth in writing.

Be's release came at a great time. Unfortunately there wasn't much traditional hip hop coming out that sparked interest on a classic level, coming after a period where the music & culture was raped and exhausted by an industry concerned with mass materialism. I feel like Be is an answer to that time by bringing back the essence in the music of appreciation for the opposite of what was glorified in the media. This album helped to bring back focus on things the average hip hop head can relate to in everyday life such as love, community, hope and happiness of simple things in life.

From a production standpoint, Be might have been Kanye & Common's best effort to bring back that feel of raw hip hop in general and simplify Common's music back to basic samples, breaks and loops coming after the deep musicality of LWFC.

Common has been good at giving us variety in songwriting while extending a bit of himself each time by providing his own life experiences and guidance. The musical bed determines how his messages come across each time, so if you like a more raw, straightforward sound from Common, I'd say this is the album to go with.

Last edited by fatboybrandon; 03-31-2010 at 09:40 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by claaa7 View Post
    since my CD-drive is fucked up and can't rip my Cd's i downloaded this album in order to put it on my iPod. it just so happened that i got my hands on an advance copy of the LP that i didn't even knew existed; it had a studio version of "The Food" featuring a third verse from Common, the song "They Say" still had John Legend and Common's vocals but instead of KanYe's weak verse there was one from Consequence (which was better imo). The kids was not featured at the end of "It's Your World" and the production on Part 2 was slightly different i think. anyone heard this?
    nah didn't know it existed. i was about to make a thread askin if they made a studio version of "the food". i would want to hear that

An act of God

Although I'm not a fan of Common, out of his discography the only album I'd down was Electric Circus.
    This was a solid cd and to say otherwise is just rubbish.

As for average lyrics, Common has NEVER had average or below average lyrics and he never will. He cares too much about his craft.