Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Do you have a soul?

Default Do you have a soul?

I suppose this question is directed more toward those who do not believe in a god. I fall into that catergory but i do feel as though i have a "soul". There is some part of me which i feel will always exist in some form even after my physical body dies. I cannot imagine my conciousness "dying" or not existing.

So you're a Buddhist?

Basically I think the idea of a soul is just a way to convince people to kill each other. If people knew they were utterly destroying one another from existence they'd think before they acted. If they just re-spawned its totally fine to kill them all. But shit ain't a game. People don't come back. They don't respawn. No one is camping their corpse waiting for it to rise again (presuming we aren't talking zombie apocalypse.)
    HANKERING FOR SOME BEEF CURTAINS

i dont believe in reincarnation if thats what you're getting at. but there are some elements of buddhism that i relate to. i would still be considered an athiest by most standards. i don't believe in a supreme being or a creator. i do feel like there is a strong connection between all things in the universe. don't know how or why it is, but i can't deny it exists.

Why wouldnt you have a soul? What is the "energy" keeping you alive, and what is it the consciousness which differentiates mankind from the rest of species? If there is an outer body, there must be an inner body. If there is a consciousness there must be an inner being.

Just because you do not appear in this realm in the physical form upon passing doesnt mean "resurrection" does not exist! You are basing all your conclusion on your 5 senses. We all know there is more to it then our 5 senses, it has been scientifically proven!

The Smell of The Future LORD NOSE's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Golden_Armz View Post
    We all know there is more to it then our 5 senses,
    how much do we know about it to be able to talk about it factually ?

it has been scientifically proven!
    really ?

Why wouldnt you have a soul? What is the "energy" keeping you alive, and what is it the consciousness which differentiates mankind from the rest of species? If there is an outer body, there must be an inner body. If there is a consciousness there must be an inner being.

Just because you do not appear in this realm in the physical form upon passing doesnt mean "resurrection" does not exist! You are basing all your conclusion on your 5 senses. We all know there is more to it then our 5 senses, it has been scientifically proven!
    im not disagreeing with you here, but what makes you think any of this is scientifically proven?

a "Soul" is one of those things that has no 1 definition.

You can't discuss it untill you agree on what a soul is.

I say it's simply your conciousness or identity.

Quote Originally Posted by ikke View Post
    a "Soul" is one of those things that has no 1 definition.

You can't discuss it untill you agree on what a soul is.

I say it's simply your conciousness or identity.
    at it's simplest, yes...

Munching eyes since 1989 Edgar Erebus's Avatar

I'm caucasian. I can't have soul.
    "The Devil is not the Prince of Matter; the Devil is the arrogance of the spirit, faith without smile, truth that is never seized by doubt. The Devil is grim because he knows where he is going, and, in moving, he always returns whence he came."

Quote Originally Posted by cutn' heads View Post
    i dont believe in reincarnation if thats what you're getting at. but there are some elements of buddhism that i relate to. i would still be considered an athiest by most standards. i don't believe in a supreme being or a creator. i do feel like there is a strong connection between all things in the universe. don't know how or why it is, but i can't deny it exists.
    Our Protons, Electrons, and Neutrons are shared with all matter. The very fabric of matter is universal. At the sub atomic all is one. In Greek Atom means indivisible because all matter is made of the same sorts of electrons, neutrons, and protons.

Why would I have a "soul". The energy that keeps me alive is in the form of electricity. Energy simply is. Its more implied then observed. I can't see what moves the particle but I see that it moved. We can't see why it moves (energy) we just know that it does. Energy is there and we can observe its effects but not something you can look at under a microscope.

My consciousness is different because I'm uniquely made of parts of two different people who are totally unique. On top of that my brain has been rewiring itself to deal with the specific data that I've collected with my senses. My brain is totally different from any other brain on earth but its similar enough that its capable of thinking like other brains. Its also capable of thinking uniquely. Basically how my brain is wired and how it processes is why I'm not you. My brain sees differently because it is different. So my "soul" isn't your "soul" for the same reason one penny is not the same penny as another penny. They're essentially identical, but they're mildly different and exist simultaneously.

So basically there is no "soul" but there is you and there is a me. We exist. Well, you know you exist and I know I exist. I think therefore I am. But I can't prove you exist, I just assume you're real. And basically that's my breakdown.

the same light that shines on you is also in you because you have a sol/sun in your solar plexus - lmao - your SUN is hot - light and sound given off by your sol/sun > Solar - if you don't believe me, breath on your hand - don't blow, but Breath - ......................

you see - you have a Soul

now how do you get it to super nova ?

You do realize soul and sol are not related etymologically. Soul is derived from Sawol which probably means "bound in death" due to etymology (and the fact that the Germanic burial practices bind the body so it will not come back to haunt the living) in Anglo Saxon Old English.

Sol is Latin for Sun. Sun is derived from the Old English word Sunna which is closely related to Sonne in modern German.

You have no idea what you're talking about. Have no knowledge of linguistics or metaphysics in general. The body is an organic machine. That's all there is. Yours is apparently damaged.

Peace,

Indeed this is a big ocean and much of it does boil down to interpretation, perception and experience.

I wasn't saying the soul is scientifically proven but the fact that our perception is limited to our 5 senses is scientifically proven. It is scientifically proven that our sight perception occurs internally within our brains, as we do not see through looking out of our eyes but through the reflective image at the back of our brain. Therefore our vision is limited to this reflection and "true vision" is alien to it. We all know we use only a portion of our brain to our advantage.

This was the point I was making - but it was not to prove the existance of the soul, rather to prove that the physical body is somewhat of a "cage" to a true inner being.

Quote Originally Posted by TheBoarzHeadBoy View Post
    You do realize soul and sol are not related etymologically. Soul is derived from Sawol which probably means "bound in death" due to etymology (and the fact that the Germanic burial practices bind the body so it will not come back to haunt the living) in Anglo Saxon Old English.

Sol is Latin for Sun. Sun is derived from the Old English word Sunna which is closely related to Sonne in modern German.

You have no idea what you're talking about. Have no knowledge of linguistics or metaphysics in general. The body is an organic machine. That's all there is. Yours is apparently damaged.

Soul/Sol/Sun - i don't need a degree in linguistics or metaphysics to make the connection

disrespect me again in here and you post will begin to disappear

It is scientifically proven that our sight perception occurs internally within our brains, as we do not see through looking out of our eyes but through the reflective image at the back of our brain. Therefore our vision is limited to this reflection and "true vision" is alien to it. We all know we use only a portion of our brain to our advantage.
    yes - and we can guess how these things that we cannot detect effects us

there are "things" that exist that we are obviously blocked off from

if my guess of what these things are is different than yours, should i be labeled an unbeliever and killed ?