Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Have you been for a HIV test?

Default Have you been for a HIV test?

i went for a test back in october last year, when i thought i was done with j. the tests came back negative, which i was glad for.

but, silly me went and fucked j again last month and i've had to go for another one. it came back negative but i have to go back in november cos HIV can take up to 3 months before it develops into HIV. i went and got myself checked out for everything else too, they told me if i don't hear from them then the tests for the other infections are also negative. they contact you if your tests are positive for anything.

i was more nervous when i went for the test this time than i did last year. my ipod fucked up on the way there and my phone had to go and die on me, so i didn't even get to listen to some happy tunes on the way there or while i was in the waiting room. i got there at 8.30 am and i got seen around 10 am. it seemed like i waited there for hours cos i was so nervous with nothing to distract my attention, just faces of worried/nervous looking people. i didn't and still don't think i have it, but with j anything is possible cos he's a cunt.

from what i've seen on this forum, not many of you guys like to wear condoms. so, i was wondering if any of you have had a HIV test done before.
    Quote Originally Posted by Senator C. Palantine View Post
    you know Trixx is ODB, right?

Listen to Jay-z's last album, it's all there.

Decipher, son.

Don't want no puss filled yellowheaded dick man

{>____<}

I had the opportunity to have a free HIV/AIDS test earlier this year. I wasn't surprised at all that the results were negative.

I always get tested for HIV/AIDS at least every six months.

It IS true that some men do not prefer to use the safety of condoms during sex mainly because condoms decease the ability to feel.

Yes, sex is awesome but I'm not willing to die for it.
    Loyalty is Royalty. Strength and Loyalty

Munching eyes since 1989 Edgar Erebus's Avatar

Never. So what if I get AIDS? I'm gonna die anyway in, like ten years, and why should I care then if I infected anyone? (Kidding, I only sex my girlfriend and I was her first.)
    "The Devil is not the Prince of Matter; the Devil is the arrogance of the spirit, faith without smile, truth that is never seized by doubt. The Devil is grim because he knows where he is going, and, in moving, he always returns whence he came."

Is this a coming out of the closet thread?

Because I'm not in the closet.

HANKERING FOR SOME BEEF CURTAINS

DeeBlock

Below please find my 2003 interview with Dr. Dan Cohen, M.D. of Boston’s Fenway HIV/AIDS Clinic. (The interview was part of my research for The AIDS Debate series).

Liam Scheff: What’s the process at the Fenway when someone tests positive for HIV?

Dr. Cohen: When someone is tested positive, they get counseling before and after, regarding the test process, they’re counseled regarding the possibility of getting a false negative when they’re really HIV infected.

Liam Scheff: How do they get a false negative?

Dr. Cohen: The HIV test is testing for antibodies, not for the presence of the HIV virus itself.

Liam Scheff: How does that equal a false negative?

Dr. Cohen: If a person has become infected recently their body might not be making antibodies yet. This a problem if someone has become infected in last several weeks.

Liam Scheff: Do they get counseling regarding false positives?

Dr. Cohen: Well, this is less of a problem than it used to be because of the way the test is conducted. The first test is a regular screening test, called the ELISA, which is looking for antibodies against HIV. It is fairly specific, but not 100 percent. None are 100 percent.

Liam Scheff: I’ve read that ELISA tests are as much as 80 percent nonspecific.[1]

Dr. Cohen: Well, new tests seem to better. If the ELISA is positive, then they‘re retested again with the ELISA. If they test positive a second time, they move to a more specific test called Western Blot, which more specifically tests against certain antibodies against the HIV virus.

Liam Scheff: You’re diagnosing HIV based on two tests, the ELISA repeated twice and the Western Blot. If it’s a faulty test, what’s the purpose of repeating it?

Dr. Cohen: Sometimes it might turn up positive for reasons that don’t have to do with the test, such as human error.

Liam Scheff: But if the test itself is faulty – I’ve read that the ELISA test reads blood only after it’s been diluted 400 percent. But if it tests undiluted blood, then everybody’s blood tests as HIV-positive.

Dr. Cohen: Yeah, that’s the way the test works. (!!!!!!!!!!!!)

Liam Scheff: I’ve read that the Western Blot is faulty, and that it picks up many nonspecific antibodies.

Dr. Cohen: If it’s conducted by a lab that knows what it’s doing, it’s not likely to be a false positive.

Liam Scheff: What if the lab doesn’t know what it’s doing?

Dr. Cohen: Then anything is possible. If you don’t have confidence in your lab, then you can’t have confidence in your test results.

Liam Scheff: The Massachusetts Department of Public Health records the number of HIV-infections in the State last year [2001-2002] at 3,184. Their report states that “327 people reported with AIDS in Massachusetts died.” [ed - The report adds that this number includes deaths from motor vehicle crashes, drug overdoses, and suicides.] [2]

Dr. Cohen: That’s absolutely correct. I think a lot of people have an inflated idea of the impact AIDS is still causing today. But that doesn’t mean we should dismiss it.

Liam Scheff: No, we shouldn’t dismiss it. But we‘re constantly told that it‘s an epidemic. Why do we call it an epidemic?

Dr. Cohen: We shouldn’t be focusing our view on the U.S. because worldwide, AIDS is killing millions.

Liam Scheff: What do you think of the amfAR ads on buses which say “1 million treated – 40 million to go.” Is this part of the reason people have an ‘inflated idea of the impact AIDS is still causing today?’[3]

Dr. Cohen: Just because people have an inflated idea of AIDS today, doesn’t mean it’s not a huge problem.

Liam Scheff: You said it’s not.

Dr. Cohen: But AIDS disproportionally affects young people.

Liam Scheff: The majority of people infected in Boston are in their 30’s in 40’s.

Dr. Cohen: But the majority of people who are going to be infected are in their teens and twenties.

Liam Scheff: How do you know that?

Dr. Cohen: Because we’re seeing increasing number of other STDs in this young population, and it’s only a matter of time before HIV appears. That‘s especially true among people of color. That’s the reason it’s an emergency. The most important thing, just because we’re not seeing the numbers, doesn’t mean that we shouldn’t pay attention. It’s lurking beneath the surface; we must continue with the prevention message and strategies.

Liam Scheff: What are good prevention strategies?

Dr. Cohen: Condoms are the most important strategy. There are many people at risk who won’t use condoms. Avoiding anal sex without a condom would be another. Limiting the number of partners. Getting tested regularly for other STDs and getting tested for those will reduce the incidence.

Liam Scheff: What do you say to scientists who question the validity of the HIV=AIDS hypothesis?

Dr. Cohen: I’ve heard this HIV not equal AIDS message for years. I’m satisfied that the virus Montagnier’s and Gallo’s virus causes AIDS.

Liam Scheff: Montagnier disagreed. He’s stated that HIV, on its own cannot cause AIDS.

Dr. Cohen: I respectfully disagree; I’m satisfied that every who gets AIDS is infected with HIV but not everyone who has HIV will get AIDS.

DeeBlock

Quote Originally Posted by DeeBlock View Post

Dr. Cohen: Sometimes it might turn up positive for reasons that don’t have to do with the test, such as human error.

Liam Scheff: But if the test itself is faulty – I’ve read that the ELISA test reads blood only after it’s been diluted 400 percent. But if it tests undiluted blood, then everybody’s blood tests as HIV-positive.

Dr. Cohen: Yeah, that’s the way the test works. (!!!!!!!!!!!!)
    If they want you to test positive, they could make it happen!!!!

http://reducetheburden.org/?p=2937

{>____<}

Quote Originally Posted by DeeBlock View Post
    If they want you to test positive, they could make it happen!!!!

http://reducetheburden.org/?p=2937
    This is beyond messed up!

i go in biannually

I’m already predisposed to getting what Regain created to eradicate us so called undesirables
    went to the woods, spent time alone, meditated under a waterfall climb to the highest peak of the mountain; now I'm back, enlightened, fully trained, to be the greatest Jackass the Corp has ever seen. all hail Me, you fucking Skruds.

that article Deeblock posted is 7 years old.

i found a more recent one.

The different types of HIV test

Using a rapid oral HIV test

HIV antibody test

HIV antibody tests are the most appropriate test for routine diagnosis of HIV among adults. Antibody tests are inexpensive and very accurate. The ELISA antibody test (enzyme-linked immunoabsorbent) also known as EIA (enzyme immunoassay) was the first HIV test to be widely used.

How do antibody tests work?

When a person is infected with HIV, their body responds by producing special proteins that fight infection, called antibodies. An HIV antibody test looks for these antibodies in blood, saliva or urine. If antibodies to HIV are detected, it means a person has been infected with HIV. There are only two exceptions to this rule:

• Babies born to HIV infected mothers retain their mother's antibodies for up to 18 months, which means they may test positive on an HIV antibody test, even if they are actually HIV negative. Normally babies who are born to HIV positive mothers receive a PCR test (see below) after birth.
    • Some people who have taken part in HIV vaccine trials may have HIV antibodies even if they are not infected with the virus.

Most people develop detectable HIV antibodies within 6 to 12 weeks of infection. In very rare cases, it can take up to 6 months and there are nearly always very particular reasons for antibodies developing so late such as other auto-immune disorders. It is exceedingly unlikely that someone would take longer than 6 months to develop antibodies.

What is a window period?

The ‘window period’ is a term used to describe the period of time between HIV infection and the production of antibodies. During this time, an antibody test may give a ‘false negative’ result, which means the test will be negative, even though a person is infected with HIV. To avoid false negative results, antibody tests are recommended three months after potential exposure to HIV infection.
    A negative test at three months will almost always mean a person is not infected with HIV. If an individual’s test is still negative at six months, and they have not been at risk of HIV infection in the meantime, it means they are not infected with HIV.
    It is very important to note that if a person is infected with HIV, they can still transmit the virus to others during the window period.

How accurate are antibody tests?

Antibody tests are extremely accurate when it comes to detecting the presence of HIV antibodies. ELISA tests are very sensitive and so will detect very small amounts of HIV antibody. This high level of sensitivity however, means that their specificity (ability to distinguish HIV antibodies from other antibodies) is slightly lowered. There is therefore a very small chance that a result could come back as ‘false positive’.
    A false positive result means that although a person may not be infected with HIV, their antibody test may come back positive. All positive test results are followed up with a confirmatory test, such as:

• A Western blot assay – One of the oldest but most accurate confirmatory antibody tests. It is complex to administer and may produce indeterminate results if a person has a transitory infection with another virus.
    • An indirect immunofluorescence assay – Like the Western blot, but it uses a microscope to detect HIV antibodies.
    • A line immunoassay - Commonly used in Europe. Reduces the chance of sample contamination and is as accurate as the Western Blot.
    • A second ELISA – In resource-poor settings with relatively high prevalence, a second ELISA test may be used to confirm a diagnosis. The second test will usually be a different commercial brand and will use a different method of detection to the first.

When two tests are combined, the chance of getting an inaccurate result is less than 0.1%.

Rapid HIV tests

An OraQuick HIV-1/2 rapid test kit

These tests are based on the same technology as ELISA tests, but instead of sending the sample to a laboratory to be analysed, the rapid test can produce results within 20 minutes.
    Rapid tests can use either a blood sample or oral fluids. They are easy to use and do not require laboratory facilities or highly trained staff.
    All positive results from a rapid test must be followed up with a confirmatory test, the results of which can take from a few days to a few weeks.

Antigen test (P24 test)

Antigens are the substances found on a foreign body or germ that trigger the production of antibodies in the body. The antigen on HIV that most commonly provokes an antibody response is the protein P24. Early in HIV infection, P24 is produced in excess and can be detected in the blood serum (although as HIV becomes fully established in the body it will fade to undetectable levels).
    P24 antigen tests are not usually used for general HIV diagnostic purposes, as they have a very low sensitivity and they only work before antibodies are produced in the period immediately after HIV infection. They are now most often used as a component of 'fourth generation' tests.

Fourth generation tests

Some of the most modern HIV tests combine P24 antigen tests with standard antibody tests to reduce the ‘diagnostic window’. Testing for antibodies and P24 antigen simultaneously has the advantage of enabling earlier and more accurate HIV detection.
    In the UK, fourth generation tests are the primary recommendation for HIV testing among individuals, but are not offered by all testing sites.1 During June 2010, the FDA approved the first fourth generation test in the United States.2

PCR test

A PCR test (Polymerase Chain Reaction test) can detect the genetic material of HIV rather than the antibodies to the virus, and so can identify HIV in the blood within two or three weeks of infection. The test is also known as a viral load test and HIV NAAT (nucleic acid amplification testing).
    Babies born to HIV positive mothers are usually tested using a PCR test because they retain their mother's antibodies for several months, making an antibody test inaccurate. Blood supplies in most developed countries are screened for HIV using PCR tests. However, they are not often used to test for HIV in individuals, as they are very expensive and more complicated to administer and interpret than a standard antibody test.
    http://www.avert.org/testing.htm

i had the rapid test done. when it's time i have to go for another rapid test. if that test comes up positive then i'll be sent to the hospital to have another but different test done to confirm whether or not i have HIV.

the HIV tests are free here. do you guys have to pay for your tests? if so, how much does it cost you?
    Last edited by Ol' Dirty Trixˣ; 09-16-2010 at 03:00 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Senator C. Palantine View Post
    you know Trixx is ODB, right?

Listen to Jay-z's last album, it's all there.

Decipher, son.

Don't want no puss filled yellowheaded dick man

i wouldent trust that like a Vagina Dr
    Last edited by Dokuro; 09-16-2010 at 03:35 PM.
    went to the woods, spent time alone, meditated under a waterfall climb to the highest peak of the mountain; now I'm back, enlightened, fully trained, to be the greatest Jackass the Corp has ever seen. all hail Me, you fucking Skruds.

I don't believe in HIV or AIDS. i don't know ANYBODY who died from it. if so many people got it, then whats the deal? shit is like swine flu.

but i still get tested tho. lol

DeeBlock

Interesting.

{>____<}

Quote Originally Posted by WUnded Fox View Post
    I don't believe in HIV or AIDS. i don't know ANYBODY who died from it. if so many people got it, then whats the deal? shit is like swine flu.

Hmm. Most people don't believe that HIV/AIDS is real because they themselves aren't infected. HIV/AIDS is a social issue. The people aren't understanding the messages. Once he/she is infected, it's too late.

Also, HIV/AIDS IS a business.
    Last edited by IrOnMaN; 09-17-2010 at 09:56 AM.

but like hundreds of millions of people got it, and they are spreading it, so it would seem like more people would be dying daily from aids. i'm not saying it ain't real, i just think its commonly/purposefully misdiagnosed and the numbers are inflated. both due to the fact that is as business.

Quote Originally Posted by WUnded Fox View Post

damn, never thought about that before. i know and have known a shitload of IV drug users. no one i know has ever contracted, or died from, AIDS...