Yeah that's a bold statement, but we all know Pete Rock is the fucking king, and it's been almost 10 years since DiLLA passed now, and as far as instrumental album goes NO ONE can do it LIKE THIS... fuck an Apollo Brown, a Bronze Nazareth, a Black Milk, a 9th Wonder, a RZA, a DJ Premier in this regard in 2015. The only one I can think off might be Extra-P but his "Beatz" album wasn't all that hot (listning to his instrumental LP of the Cormega project is incredible though and reveals a lot of cool shit).

I'm talking about "PeteStrumentals 2" which dropped today on Mello Music Group and while the singles were dope (especially "Cosmic Slop"; GODDAMN!!!) it's when you hear the whole album from front-to-back in good headphones that you'll truly get blown away. I haven't heard beats like this from Pete Rock since 2001 when the original one dropped... and it's not so strange bc he uses the same formula again, old unreleased beats from the '90s made on the SP1200, for the most part, which has then been remixed and rearranged in 2015... there's a lot of great musical intermissions like on the CL Smooth albums too. Man what a good way to start the day, first thing I did when i woke up and now I'm on my second listen. Buy this one or go fuck yourself!!!!!

Describing Pete Rock’s productions do them little justice. They resonate in your gut, heart, and brain. The title of one of these beats says it all: “Makes Me Feel Like.” You fill in the blanks based on your personal experience and current mood.

Petestrumentals 2 conjures memories of BBQ cookouts and 70s Blaxploitation scores, rattling summer jeep cruises and blunted Jamaican vacations. There’s a gorgeous requiem to Dilla (“Dilla Bounce (R.I.P),” where the originator pays tribute to the prodigy. You see the full range of Rock’s gifts on display: the meticulously chopped horns, unquantized drums, and air raid sirens. It contains the emotion of a thousand eulogies.

No record can’t be resurrected. There’s no sub-genre or era that can’t be converted into Rock’s singular brand of soul. His music is the closest thing we’ll ever get to a time-traveling DeLorean, effortlessly shifting between past, present, and future.

https://mellomusicgroup.bandcamp.com...estrumentals-2