Q-Tip - Amplified

We all know Q-Tip as the 'lead' MC and self professed producer of A Tribe Called Quest, but when he struck out on his own with Amplified and later Kamaal The Abstract he caught a lot of undeserved shit. It's obvious most people wanted a return to Tribe's glory days of jazzy beats and abstract, friendly lyrics but that's not really what Tip was about at this stage... in any case, Amplified and Kamaal The Abstract remain two of the most underappreciated hip-hop albums around because of what Q-Tip had done before, so give them another listen before you deny the man his props. Dilla co-produced all but two of the songs on this album, and it shows. His sound was really forming and he was a fantastic keyboardist.

1. Wait Up - It's pretty easy to tell that Tips flow, voice & the beats are gonna overshadow his lyrics themselves... Tip is a talented cat, he can write songs really well. The beat is strange but still damn good. 4/5

2. Higher - Great beat, great hook, great lyrics. 5/5

3. Breathe & Stop - Was this the single or something? I might just be a fan of Tip and the beats but 5/5

4. Moving With U - Dilla was a genius with the keyboards on this shit... this is like that old school (it's old school now at least) NY sound. 4/5

5 - Let's Ride - This is the shit though. Best song of the album, that beat is brutal. 5/5

6 - Things U Do - Really chill, like the rest of the album. Tip shows off his hooks too. 4.5/5

7 - All In - This one I'm not feeling so much. 3/5

8 - Go Hard - Those keys at the start are great, it really sets the mood. Really simple, catchy beat. 4/5

9 - Do It - See #7. 3/5

10 - Vivrant Thing - Pretty good.. just not great 3.5/5

11 - NT (w/ Busta) - This album really changes sound in the 2nd half. This is a banger unlike the last couple of tracks, and that piano is nice. 4/5

12 - End Of Time - WHAT? This doesn't fit the mood of the album at all. It's still an alright track I guess. But the bonus track really shines. So the first track = 3/5, the hidden track is 5/5

This is x-posted from the AHH review forum, but it's a great album that shouldn't be overlooked. Next time I'll review Kamaal The Abstract (and hook a few people up, considering it's unreleased)