3 21.43%

2 14.29%

6 42.86%

2 14.29%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Reks - Grey Hairs

Default Reks - Grey Hairs

1. Grey Hairs [Prod. by Blaze P]
    Great opener, beat reminds me of the Stillmatic intro, catchy hook, and Reks is lyrically on point. 4/5

2. The One [Prod. by Statik Selektah]
    Beat gets really annoying quickly, Reks attemptin to drop some knowledge, this track really doesn't stick out or have much replay value. 3/5

3. Say Goodnight [Prod. by DJ Premier]
    You already know, the best Premo beat we've seen in quite some time, and of course Reks is off the wall on this shit too. "East coast boom-bap, PM to the AM!" track is straight fire. 5/5

4. How Can It Be [Prod. by Statik Selektah]
    I'm feelin this track, the snare thumps pretty sharp, Reks hungry as a motha fucka again, this has a lot of replay value. 4/5

5. Stages [Prod. by Large Professor]
    Crazy beat, Reks spittin about the various stages of hip-hop and the changes of the game. A little preachy but still lyrically right. 4/5

6. All In One (5 Mics) (w/ Lil Fame (of M.O.P.)) [Prod. by Blaze P]
    Reks shows that he can write a good song on this, this track is a tribute to some of the greatest the games seen, Reks incorporates the style of the MC's at hand and does them all justice. 4.5/5

7. Next 2 Me [Prod. by DC The Midi Alien]
    This beat & hook are hard as fuck, as usual Reks "Spits tighter than virgin vagina". 4/5

8. Money On The Ave (w/ Skyzoo) [Prod. by Soul Theory]
    This sample is so nice, CREAM of 2008, first mellow track of the CD (much needed) really smooth vibe to this. 4/5

9. Black Cream (w/ Big Shug) [Prod. by Statik Selektah]
    This is one of my favorites, "From chains & whips, to chains & whips" this one is deep as fuck . "Kids wanna stunt, smoke blunts n impress broads, sip on syrup cuz they idle got his cup". 5/5

10. Love Sweet Misery [Prod. by Statik Selektah]
    Track isnt exactly note worthy, nothing original about it to make it worth much detail. Beat is decent, sample is annoying as fuck. 3/5

11. Rise [Prod. by Statik Selektah]
    The album is noticeably startin' to decline in quality, tracks are beginning to sound very similiar at this point. Beat is pretty basic, kind of goes without saying that Reks is gonna murder it though. 3.5/5

12. Telescope (w/ Jon Hope & Lucky Dice) [Prod. by Statik Selektah]
    The first clubbish track, Im beginning to get really bored of these Statik Selektah beats, in dire need of some change-up soon. Lucky Dice's verse is mad nice, better than Reks. 3.5/5

13. Day 2 [Prod. by Statik Selektah]
    Another pretty basic beat, no real replay value on this one, nothing really sticks out at all. 2.5/5

14. Premonition (w/ Termanology & Consequence) [Prod. by Statik Selektah]
    Ah finally somethin different, both guest appearances are mad nice on this, Reks comes correct too, little preachy though. 3.5/5

15. My Life (w/ Paula Cambell) [Prod. by Blaze P]
    I'm feigning interest, 10 songs with hooks from Reks is really gettin boring. Atleast this beat is somewhat original compared to the rest, still nothin really noteworthy about this track. 3/5

16. Cry Baby [Prod. by Statik Selektah]
    Smooth beat, pretty deep picture Reks is paintin', another really annoying hook though but all in all a good track. 4/5

17. Long While [Prod. by 1914]
    Ugh, this is def a skip in my books, nothin note worthy at all, annoying ass hook. 2.5/5

18. Big Dreamers (Lawtown Remix) (w/ Termanology & Krumb Snatcha) [Prod. by Statik Selektah]
    A slight pick up in quality before the end, beat is pretty simple, both guests come correct. Another Reks hook, annoying as fuck. 3.5/5

19. Isiah [Prod. by Demo]
    The most original beat on the whole album besides Premo's, this track is definately a good ender, wraps up the album quite nicely. 4/5

20. Pray For Me [Prod. by Statik Selektah]
    I'm pretty sure this is a bonus, track is FIRE, beat is very well-made Reks rips this to shreds. 4.5/5

IN CONCLUSION
    I was highly dissapointed with this, Reks shoulda kept this a 13-14 track CD, there was a lot of useless filler that seemed misplaced and bland. There are far too many Statik Selektah beats on here, the same jazzy keys and drums get boring fast. There are also far too many Reks hooks that all sound the same, he should have reached out to other artists for guest hooks or just leave em out.

The album takes a very noticeable fall after the 10-11 song mark where the quality just drops. The main cause for its sub-par rating is the lack of diversity and originality, little to no replay value on quite a few tracks leads for a decent album at best. FAR from the "Illmatic of 08" predictions.

OVERALL RATING 75/100 - 7.5/10, rounding down to 7/10 for little replay value.
    Last edited by JamSix; 07-20-2008 at 12:52 PM.

really heavy album, taking it back to a time when hip-hop was focused on mic skills, ill scratching and heavy production. if you're a fan of '95 New York boom-bap you will love this and I sure do.. Reks is really impressive on the mic throughout the album and the beats is nothing but bangers; though the first half is harder and the second one a bit more mellow. i won't rate this yet (only listened to it like 1.5 times yet) but it's definitely no less than 8.5/10..

daily updates: news, articles, reviews, the best compilations on the net. that true skool street hop!

r.i.p. Johan D, Kaddu, Ricke a.k.a. "Slick Rick" and the rest of the fallen soldiers - you'll never be forgotten!

Golden Child Shaolin Bloody Sword's Avatar

The second 1/2 has about 3 radio friendly tracks that are dope (Telescope, Premonition & My life). I'm really feeling Reks !!!

Alright, updated with full review.

I thought it was pretty fucking good.

some tracks could have been culled though.

Ill give a proper review after a few more listens

Im still giving it some more spins but im inclined to agree with the thread starters review. I will drop my thoughts later.

"I pledge allegiance to the hip hop"
    Method Man

Banned

god damn ... totally disagree with the thread starter ... first listen this shit is fuckin banana's ... maybe it's cos i just finished listening to cappatlize project n that was so shit it's makin this seem better than it is but ATM im givin it an 8
    Posts by The Hound are signed TH.

Quoting ≠ Agreement.

still waitin' for my copy...

Quote Originally Posted by Tonearm Terrorwrist View Post
    god damn ... totally disagree with the thread starter ... first listen this shit is fuckin banana's ... maybe it's cos i just finished listening to cappatlize project n that was so shit it's makin this seem better than it is but ATM im givin it an 8
    I felt the same way after the first listen, my review was written after 3-4 spins.

VZA

Something strange about reading in detail about an album right before you hear it....

I got a boner when I heard this was leaked.

"Telescope" is a dope radio friendly track ! I'm really feeling this joint. I love the album !
    It has tracks for eveybody. The 1st half obviously has more hunger ! The 2nd half is still dope though.

August 12th, don't forget to support Elzhi.
    Last edited by Shaolin Bloody Sword; 07-21-2008 at 09:58 PM.

"Long While" is a dope track man ! U trippin'. The beat is ill and Reks killed too. There is absolutely nothing wrong with that hook. There is nothing more annoying that having Dexter Wiggle & Thea on a hook like RZA does.

i dont no much about reks, is this album worth picking up, i looked at the tracklist and i was thinking illmatic, but the reviewer crushed my dreams

Quote Originally Posted by Jasjit View Post
    i dont no much about reks, is this album worth picking up, i looked at the tracklist and i was thinking illmatic, but the reviewer crushed my dreams
    Don't take my word for it homie, thatd just be ignortant. Give it a spin on your own terms then see how you look at it.

reks came to the cop shop yesterday but i left because he was at the sizzler (seriously) and i did not feel like waiting for him. lol