Thread: Madvillain-Madvillainy 2

king disguised as beggar. the silencer's Avatar

Default Madvillain-Madvillainy 2

this is the remix album done by Madlib....according to Stones Throw Records, Madlib couldn't wait for the official sequel to be released so he went ahead and remixed the first one..i think it has more to do with Doom's weirdness and apparently poor work ethic...

this special edition was released by Stones Throw in a big box set that includes the CD, a 7-inch vinyl of Madlib's remix of the song "One Beer", a cassette tape with the original demo of Madvillainy, a t-shirt, a comic book with the sequel to the ALL CAPS video, and a silver wrapped box......i love the way they put shit together like this (sorta like the re-release of Mm..Food) but i didn't actually buy the whole big package.....i just wanted to check out the album..

and i'm diggin it...

i'm still very new to Madlib's work but i like a lot of what I've heard...his style of sampling and mixing in all different kinds of shit is right up my alley and I find it even more interesting that he mostly just uses a Sp-303..

anyways, I'm gonna try and write more reviews of this kinda stuff (Doom's albums and other non-Wu stuff) just cuz i listen to it alot and might as well throw up some thoughts on the stuff for others to check out and see if they're interested in getting it....

Album cover: it's weird and different (no title or names or anything) but I love it...it's a simple-but-cool image which u can take however u want

1. Pow! (Intro)
    Madlib displays all kinds of cool, weird quotes and samples from old tv shows and shit all throughout this piece and this a great one to start off..

2. No Brain
    a cool lead-in of ppl tryin to flip through radio stations to no avail as all they can listen to is this pretty sweet track...i like the approach they took on this shit just totally mixing everything up from the first one---not staying in the same order or anything like that and changing up the track titles and everything...
    nice opening song and then the ending sample leads in perfectly to the opening sample to the next track
    3/5

3. Pearls
    "hey quick folks put another coin in the eggpla-- ah jukebox" (haha!) and then a cool little loop starts it off, this is great stuff from Madlib....when i first started hearin his music it kinda bothered me that he was weaving so many different beats in and out, i kept thinkin "oh your wastin that, it was dope" but the more i listen to his stuff it seems like he always creates this dope mood and atmosphere by flippin thru so many different sounds and quotes and noises and shit...(plus it works well with the short tracks on this album)
    this joint is short, a remix of one of my favorite tracks on the original....i like the beat on the first one better but this is still nice, some weird flutey sounds over a catchy clap drum..
    there's a few of these: dope, psychedlic fade-out beat on here
    3.5/5

4. Light of the Past
    a simple but very unique-sounding beat, TOTALLY different than the original version..Madlib/Quasimoto philosophizing on time among other things...
    3/5

5. Boulder Holder
    i love this track right here...one of my favs on the original Madvillainy and he flipped it beautifully on this version, Lib displays CRAZY skills on this even throwing in a different "old jazz standard" when Doom hits that note....
    one thing that's cool about most remixes and especially the ones on here--it usually serves to enhance the original lyrics and make u pay more attention to them, sometimes noticing things u didn't at first..
    5/5

6. Borrowed Time
    the beginning sample is CRAZY i fuckin love it, just a short snippet tho (and it reappears later so it's got a thematic feel to it on the album)...
    when the song kicks on it's a trippy beat to remix "Accordion" it sounds great but it ain't my particular favorite type of sound....still dope tho, nice to just play loud on the stereo while ur just chillin in the house...

the THIRD beat that kicks in later is another banger..
    4/5 (cuz the two beats surrounding the middle are one are DOPE)

7. Space Ho's Coast to Coast
    unexpected but still welcome addition to this trippy journey thru Doom joints and choppy beats---a remix of a track from DangerDoom..
    and even has the same kinda sound that DangerMouse brought on that album (Lib just keep killin it on this album)..
    3/5

8. Invazion (interlude)
    short, funky interlude...well-done

9. Drainos
    was never crazy about this joint on the original, this version might be slightly better but still not crazy about it...
    BUT i must say this: the song cuts into a SIIIIIIIIIIICK piano loop sample, probably the coolest sounds on the entire cd...i wish he would make a full track outta that shit cuz it is fuckin crazy ill..
    3/5

10. Fire in the Hole
    atmospheric, trippy type of beat that sounds sweet when ur high or just in full-out chill mode...
    this song is half remix, and then half yet-another-crazy-sample-loop..absolutely beautiful fuckin beat to close this track out "if you've got a dreeeeeam or twoooo"
    4/5

11. Heat Niner
    my least favorite track on the album...the sample is just kinda annoying, definitely far inferior to the original version of this track..
    2/5

12. Monkey Suit
    cool little intro and this a DOPE track....newish track, not a remix--i think it was on the soundtrack to a Cartoon Network show recently..
    beat is smooth and Doom is great on here:
    "Sane, some say he plumb crazy
    amazed at how he still get paid but dumb lazy
    That's for him to know and for u to guess,
    won't be caught in no suit vest or computer desk"
    5/5

13. Fluid (instrumental)
    some fluid-smooth dopeness from Lib with lots of crazy cuts

14. Can't Reform Em
    nothin too crazy, beat is kinda simple but i love the lyrics to this one no matter what..
    3/5

15. Redd Spot (interlude)

16. Running Around with Another
    loved the original joint (Fancy Clown), and I love this one too....Madlib fuckin skilled it, i think it's gotta be hard to make a fresh beat over an accapella sometimes---definitely requires some serious skill to pull it off properly and he does it here PERFECTLY...
    and then closes out with that same beautiful loop that set off Borrowed Time..
    5/5

17. Butter King Jewels
    takes a while for the song to come in (1:30) but this may be the best track on the album..absolute straight up FIRE, this is raw hip hop....beat is sick and Doom absolutely rips it with a crazy flow, energy and lyrics:

"The track was like a thorn in his back,
    as for the rhymes i'll give u fair warning it's crack
    whoever start to smoke it come back, quit or catch a heart attack
    in some bum's shack
    sharper than a thumb tack"

5/5 easily

18. Sermon
    the cuts from Madlib are fuckin hilarious on this one....then when it cuts into a song it's funky 80s-sounding sample..
    not one of my favs for sure..
    2/5

19. Roller Coaster Riders (instrumental)
    perfect title for this instrumental..

20. "3.214"
    nice smooth beat, i like this remix version better than the original (Great Day)...Doom's rapping on here is ridiculous..
    5/5

21. Confucius Spot (interlude)
    some crazy shit...

22. Never Go Pop
    i think this beat is super-boring compared to the original (ALL CAPS)...
    2/5

23. Savage Beast (instrumental)
    cool beat with all kinds of dope cuts..

24. Cold One
    doesn't touch the original Rhinestone Cowboy but still pretty nice...smooth calm shit letting the Villain take the spotlight it seems like..
    3/5

25. Cold One (reprise)
    closes out with the same instru as the previous song and then some tripped out crazy sounds...

OVERALL: 3.5 outta 5

doesn't sound like a great rating cuz i gotta reflect the track-by-track ratings, but it's still a real enjoyable listen...i've been spinnin this almost every day for the last couple weeks..
    Last edited by the silencer; 01-19-2009 at 01:09 AM. Reason: some editing..

Are U Watching Closely? 11th Chamber's Avatar

Good to see another Silencer review, of course.

I accually wasent too thilled over this remix album.

Im a pretty big Madlib fan and all, but the first album is near perfect in all aspects and I didnt really like hearing it being remade.

Thats just my feelings towards it

king disguised as beggar. the silencer's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 11th Chamber View Post
    Good to see another Silencer review, of course.

I accually wasent too thilled over this remix album.

Im a pretty big Madlib fan and all, but the first album is near perfect in all aspects and I didnt really like hearing it being remade.

Thats just my feelings towards it
    i feel where ur comin from..

i'm just wonderin what they're gonna title the real sequel....whenever the fuck we get that