Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Land Of The Free, Home Of The Brave...Really?

threadstarter got owened

Quote Originally Posted by LadiesLoveCoolDan View Post
    Because the United States offers people so much personal freedom and is a society based on individualism, people are more likely to deviate.

If you give an inch, people will take a mile.

People commit more crimes in the US.

Imagine what would happen if people got caught committing the same crime in the US, Russia, and China.

Who would be the most lenient?

Well, yeah maybe.

But i'd say the USA's high level on incarceration is more related to it's criminal legislation.

Harsh criminal penalties and mandatory sentencing would be the main causes.

There is no point comparing the US to countries like Russia and more particularly China.

The human rights records in both countries is reprehensible.

Compare the USA with other western nations, and there is a huge discrepancy in levels of incarceration.

To end up in prison here, you really need to continually fuck up and fuck up badly.

Quote Originally Posted by Slang Gargoyle View Post
    Exactly. I heard about that going down. Imagine being the CEO of a company and your production line workers fuck up the milk and now your gonna get executed.

Talk about sharing the blame.
    Not really.

The senior employees who were executed knew about the contamination and did nothing about it.

Which is why, they were executed.

Quote Originally Posted by TSA View Post
    ^ahahahahhahaha

the Us gov has to keep a certain amount of ppl in prison so that the unemployment rate won't look bonkers, our population is too big to have a reasonable unemployment rate if there's a reasonable amount of prisoners.

also, alot of politicians use arrests as political statistic manipulation tools, a professor that worked for the statistic burdue told me

on top of that americans are fucking nuts.
    the combination of drug culture and gun culture plus the emphasis on enforcing the law fuck it all up.
    Quote Originally Posted by whitey View Post
    ^if muh fuckers had reasonable employable skills it aint no thing. who the fuck wants to higher some drug dealing ass no skilled muh fuckers for a real job? they may be capable of more shit, i dont doubt that, but they make choice to go that rout, so its not that the gov needs to keep them in prison. they make the choice to break a clearly defined law that they know will put them in prison. if the drug dealing population chose to take up an illegal act that they know has the possibility of putting them in jail thats their fault. thats no fault of the government. i, personally dont think they should be arrested for drugs, but isn't to up to me, its up to the gov, and the laws are clearly defined.

most all other laws, people deserve to be behind bars for breaking. and this country does a pretty good job of getting those fuckers behind bars.

but dont bullshit where this country purposely puts people behind bars. yea they may put some people there that are actually good people and can do other things, but they still clearly disobey the law, a law that can clearly land them in jail.

i dont cry for those Argentinians.
    well if everyone had skills in the us, like everyone, with educations and shit, there wouldn't be enough jobs to go around.

the unemployment would be 3rd world looking if we didn't manipulate the definition of unemployed and used statistic and population redistribution methods like jail.

welfare is also a way used to keep jobs open, as well as public housing and sometimes war.

with out all that, even if, and expecially if, everyone was a skilled worker we would collapse.

sure they should be punished, i'm not saying they're innocent, im just telling you that a long time ago the gov found the advantage to locking ppl up and has kept it real ever since.
    Hm, interesting idea.

You may be correct.

Although i'd think that off shoring and out sourcing in the US is the main cause of unemployment.

In reply to your last point, and whitey's in part.

I'm not so sure.

Jail pretty much just encourages people to re offend.

Criminals who spend prolonged periods in prison are much more likely to re offend.

Harsher sentencing has never been proven as an effective disincentive to crime.

Conversely, it just contributes to a cycle of criminal activity and incarceration.

Banned

on top of that americans are fucking nuts.
    the combination of drug culture and gun culture plus the emphasis on enforcing the law fuck it all up.
    People do not realize how terrible crack is and how it single-handedly ruins communities. Add guns to the mix and the dealers just are more fearsome. Plus its pop culture and glorifyed with every rapper and their mother talkin about they sold crack, like its some rite of passage and thats normanl.
    Problem is...it IS normal and thats not normal.

Quote Originally Posted by LadiesLoveCoolDan View Post
    China has a collectivist culture where differences and atypical behavior is frowned upon. There is great institutional pressure for people to be the same, or they are shunned by society.

Chinese feel such pressure to blend in, they are less likely to be deviant. And their punishments are much harsher.

In the USA, Chinese kids can pretend to be black and spraypaint buildings in the gayest city in the world, and still have a couple of nerdy white friends to play D&D with.

With personal freedom and individualistic culture, a human is likely to be more fulfilled, but is also more likely to engage in deviant behavior.
    oooooh shit

In alot of ways the U.S. is still like the Wild West only 'modernized'....its a vast country with so many different types of people here and the whole society is based on individualism, free expression and private enterprise and making money if you can.

Its a pedal to the metal type of culture.......its just the way it is here.