Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: should i go to see gran torino

The movie was good IMO. It's more of a drama. It ain't Dirty Harry though.

You know, i thought Gran Torino was a good movie when i saw it.

Maybe even a really good movie.

My only qualm (apart from a small amount of poor acting from the asian guy) was that i felt watching it that a lot of people enjoyed the racism more than the point of the movie.

Admittedly, i laughed mildly the first few times he utilised some racist terms which you don't normally encounter in cinema, but after the first 10 minutes i got over this.

It seemed to me, the majority of the other cinema goers did not.

I guess it's the same with any movie, all you can do is put the material out there and hope that people take away what you intent from it.

I remember an American guy i went to school with thought Team America was purely a pro American film.

A lot of guys my age rated the film as one of the their favourites of the year.

But i wonder whether this is because they got a kick out of seeing racism to that level on the big screen or because they appreciated the narrative.

The fact that the film receive universal critical review, to me, made it easy for people like that to comment that it was a great film, while the only parts they enjoyed were when Eastwood's characters was racially abusing those around him.

Not sure what my point is here.

It was essential that his character behaved and spoke like that.

Without it, the movie would have lacked realism.

I just despise people who see a movie like this, miss any deeper point it may be communicating, but hail it as great because they got a cheap laugh out of some 'funny' racist insults.

Veteran Member

Quote Originally Posted by Pat Bateman View Post

My only qualm (apart from a small amount of poor acting from the asian guy) was that i felt watching it that a lot of people enjoyed the racism more than the point of the movie.

Admittedly, i laughed mildly the first few times he utilised some racist terms which you don't normally encounter in cinema, but after the first 10 minutes i got over this.

I guess it's the same with any movie, all you can do is put the material out there and hope that people take away what you intent from it.

I remember an American guy i went to school with thought Team America was purely a pro American film.

But i wonder whether this is because they got a kick out of seeing racism to that level on the big screen or because they appreciated the narrative.

The fact that the film receive universal critical review, to me, made it easy for people like that to comment that it was a great film, while the only parts they enjoyed were when Eastwood's characters was racially abusing those around him.

I just despise people who see a movie like this, miss any deeper point it may be communicating, but hail it as great because they got a cheap laugh out of some 'funny' racist insults.
    nice comment man
    peace

this movie was alright but i dont know if you want to see it go

ahead
    Trip

Veteran Member

i have seen it yet
    nice movie

You are not your job Tyler Durden's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Pat Bateman View Post

I hope this wasn't aimed at me.
    I loved the film, true about the little asian kid though (Someone told me he wasn't even an actor or something but I'm not sure if thats completely true)
    I didn't laugh midely at the racism though, I laughed my dick off, it really fell off.
    But I still check out the acting and meaning to the film (all films).

"She had these little stubby wings, like she could've glued them on, you know, like I'm gonna believe she's a fairy." - One of the best scenes in film history.

Wobbling Totem Poles

I walked out of this film.

Clint Eastwood was playing a bad version of himself.

None of the asian dudes could act their way out of a paper bag, with scissors in they hand.

I thought this was a brilliant film, one of the best films id seen in a while. The character development was really good, despite Clints character being a rasict fuck, you seen him changing throughout the film, and really felt for him when he rang his son, but he was too busy to talk to him.