Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: 'Iron Man' composer sues Ghostface Killah for millions over sample, name use

Banned

how did this old fart come across a Ghostface album? that's what I wanna know.. he heard his grandson playing supreme clientele one day and had an epiphany, "hey! that's my shit!" wtf

-Diamond in the Rough- 3rdEyeVizion's Avatar

Fucked up.

These people need to realise that when people use they samples its a sign of respect, they paying homage to the creation. Man it even gives them free pubilicity sometimes. But on the flip side , if you create something you would at least want to be asked by someone that wants to use it. You might not want your shit associated with it.. My opinion i think the 80yrold should drop this case, and try to understand why ghost used it.

Too many years too late..... LMFAO!!!!!!!!!!!.....
    image.php?type=sigpic&userid=55925&dateline=119951  8518

THE CHEF LOVES MY MASTERPIECE

I was wonderin' when or if it ever did happen.... LMFAO!!!...

I must say.... I don't have a hard time believin' that the label didn't sample clearances.... someone that worked at Sony when Ghost was doin' Supreme Clientele said that the head lady in charge of the Urban division of the label paid more attention to the R&B singers than the rappers that was signed there.... she didn't care about their projects, much less knew what they were doin'..... so the rap artists were pretty much on their own.... and sample clearances was most likely one of the main reasons that Bulletproof Wallets came out the way that it did.... and ultimately lead to Ghost leavin' Sony for Def Jam... They don't call Sony the dumbest record label for nothin'....

Secondly.... this dude's lawsuit has some merit... I love Wu... but I always wondered why and how they got away wit' usin' the Tony Starks, Ironman moniker for so long.... I don't believe this guy's estate owns the rights to Ironman itself, because Marvel does.... but the music he composed that they used.... I believe he does.... Marvel can intervene and claim the ownership rights and say state that they own the copyright, trademarks, etc.... but most likely I see them settlin' this out of court....

Quote Originally Posted by Rawticus View Post
    try to understand why ghost used it.
    lol? Why did ghost use it?.. I'll tell you why- I liked iron man, so when ghost associated himself with iron man, I liked ghost that much more, he deserves to pay for that shit.
    Ghost is a legend to us all, but dont be a hypocrite just cause beloved wu-tang is in the bad position.
    Pay the fucking man, ghost ripped the f0cking sh#$ outta the iron man theme.

Millions lol?
    Im sure they woulda paid change back in the ninties too.
    lol @ as high as wu tang get sometimes

PRODIGAL SUN

Quote Originally Posted by Rawticus View Post
    These people need to realise that when people use they samples its a sign of respect, they paying homage to the creation. Man it even gives them free pubilicity sometimes.
    Yeh damn right, I remember a song called Gunblast by El Da Sensei, it samples Inspectah Deck in C.R.E.A.M. I heard this song before I was a big fan of the Wu and it kinda got me more into them.

It seems in hip hop it's ok to sample other hip hop, but realistically whoever was running the samples on this Ghost album needs a slap.

The Chamber of Knowledge New-Yorks-Finest's Avatar

irony
    ironman

this is a funny situation
    "If a man hasn't discovered something that he will die for, he isn't fit to live."

I understand its business but who really was checking out for IRONMAN the cartoon or character? Maybe Marvel comic readers. Wouldn't surprise me if a good chunk of people who listened to IRONMAN never read the comic or knew who Tony Stark was. I could see if they insist that future copies of the album have to drop the sample but IRONMAN only became relevant again with the release of the movie. Considering that the comic-book industry was dying then, Marvel should of been happy that an artist brought attention to any of their characters. I doubt IRONMAN the comic was selling a million copies of its comic then.

What an idiot. Everyone in the industry knows you got to clear samples. Shit.
    "I hate them and I wish death among them!" - Mahatma Gandhi

BASCO

his old ass should take the L and move the fuck on. the nigga who made the amen break died a pauper i heard, that's what hip hop is all about