Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Guillotine and 'Glaciers of Ice'

For the future, you can find where, who, what is sampled at whosampled.com It's a pretty dope website. It tells you which part of the song is sampled for both the sampled and song using the sample.

yeah that site is pretty cool, i found a lot of samples there!

is it just me or at the beginning of "guillotine" are they talking about how that intro always leads to nothing and how they're finally gonna give us the full track? i seem to recall something like that being quietly discussed in the background (listen to it in headphones to really hear it)
    "We accept tires" - Cappadonna

Hello, everybody! DR. NICK RIVIERA's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by MaskedAvenger View Post
    I dont know what the fuck RZA sampled for Glaciers Of Ice but thats one of the illest beats ever.
    ghost gauntled. the video game
    bring back begongo!!

crushed out heavenly Ghost In The 'Lac's Avatar

^ you wanna come with anything to back up your claim?

hahahah make that six different samples ive heard that rza supposedly used for glaciers now
    havent heard the ghost gauntlet one before tho

he sampled the theme song from Punky Brewster

Here, I'm handing out late passes

Banned

http://www.2d-x.com/the-night-castle...lan-owned-nyc/

The night Castlevania and Wu-Tang Clan owned NYC
    By Jeffrey L. Wilson On 20 Apr, 2012 At 12:35 PM | Categorized As Features, Slider | With 0 Comments

I don’t fancy myself a hardcore hip hop head anymore, but I do like some phat beats and tight rhymes. It’s hard not to appreciate such matter growing up in New York City during the ’90s when rap was at its pinnacle. Onyx slammed. EPMD broke up, but we still rocked their records. Snoop and Dre conquered the charts. Mobb Deep created a new level of hardcore. But it was the 10-man team from the borough of Staten Island that changed everything.

Wu-Tang Clan dropped the seminal Enter the Wu-Tang 36 Chambers in 1993, fusing New York City-style underground tracks with smart lyrics, street knowledge, and Asian martial arts and philosophies. The crew, nearly a dozen deep, announced that each member would break off to drop a solo album, stampeding the industry in a revolutionary way. The best solo effort was Raekwon the Chef’s Only Built 4 Cuban Linx, a mob-strong album that saw Wu deep dive into street tales over producer RZA’s most varied and experimental productions.

But does this have to do with Castlevania?

The album’s first single was “Glaciers of Ice,” a track featuring Rae, Ghost, and Masta Killa flowing over only what can be described as aural insanity. Listen.

I was tuned into NYC’s Hot 97 the night that Funkmaster Flex unveiled “Glaciers of Ice” over the radio airwaves. The collective hip hop populace lost it. Not only was the track absolute fire, but radio callers (as well as my friends and me) were throughly convinced that RZA sampled Castlevania to create what sounded like an organ from hell. We couldn’t remember which particular Castlevania game that the sample came from, or the specific level music, but we were certain the “Glaciers of Ice” had part of its origin in a video game.

RZA is known for digging through the crates, grabbing obscure samples, chopping them up, and sometimes distorting them. This is crew that referenced anime and martial arts flicks, so this had to be a Castlevania sample, right?

Maybe.

The official samples are:

“Bless Ya Life” by KGB (Klik Ga Bow)
    “Children, Don’t Get Weary” by Booker T. & the MG’s
    “Guillotine (Swordz)” by Raekwon
    Castlevania is M.I.A. That doesn’t mean, however, that it wasn’t used. It could’ve went unlisted for a variety of reasons, such as not wanting other producers to know the sample origin, or to avoid potential lawsuits for not clearing the sample with Konami. It doesn’t really matter in the big scheme of things, really.

It was the hot topic of the discussion the next day. My boys and I analyzed the track for hours trying to discover its Castlevania origins. This led to us playing Castelvania, Castlevania II: Simon’s Quest, Castlevania III: Dracula’s Curse, and Super Castlevania IV in hunt of the sampled composition. We never found it.

I can look back now and realize that it wasn’t just the sample hunt that intrigued us, it was the validation. The validation that our hobby, one frequently seen as the activity of basement-dwellers, was cool, exciting, and revolutionary.

Just like Wu-Tang Clan.

This used to be one of my favorite RZA beats and it still is. It is probably my #1 RZA beat. Incredible how he flipped it.

Banned

but do you like the rza beat?

Quote Originally Posted by THE GENIUS View Post
    This used to be one of my favorite RZA beats and it still is. It is probably my #1 RZA beat. Incredible how he flipped it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Artie Ziff View Post

but do you like the rza beat?

yeah man its a hot beat too

LOL I always heard it was Tetris. Listening to it I'm half convinced of it.
    As for myself: I had come to the conclusion that there was nothing sacred about myself or any human being, that we were all machines, doomed to collide and collide and collide.
    - Kurt Vonnegut