Thread: New Rae GQ Interview

Illest Killa Bee
    Bring back the essence...

The running joke in sports and hip-hop is that rappers want to be basketball players and basketball players want to be rappers. Raekwon, however, wants to be a fencer. While recording his sixth solo album, Fly International Luxurious Art, the legendary member of the Wu-Tang Clan became friends with the 2013 Individual Foil World Champion, Miles Chamley-Watson. A longtime fan of the Wu, the 23-year-old U.S. fencer and burgeoning fashion plate first bonded with Raekwon at a studio session with Akon—and was invited back for some impromptu fencing lessons. There's always been a deep connection between swords and the Wu-Tang Clan, from their kung fu-inspired imagery to group architect the RZA's latest film. Hell, Raekwon even has a song called "Guillotine (Swordz)," with the lyric, "I bomb facts / my sword is an axe / to split backs invisible, like dope friend tracks." In other words, Rae's sword is his tongue. Later, he told me straight-up, "We mastered the sword-style of rhyming."

So you can imagine Raekwon's excitement when learning to wield the physical manifestation of his sharp flow. "You see motherfuckers getting hit; shit be going through their arms, popping out, you know what I mean?" he said. "You have to be tough to really fuck with fencing." There, in the live room at NYC's Platinum Sound Recording, before an impromptu appearance by Rick Ross, we watched Chamley-Watson teach Raekwon the way of the foil. After he gifted Rae with fencing gear and a personalized lamé that read "The Chef," the two dueled. Really. Raekwon's swiftness in tongue translated to the weapon. He was parrying far too quickly for a 43-year-old rapper who had long sworn off skinny jeans. "I'm not gonna lie, he was actually good," said Chamley-Watson. "He's a natural." After the lesson, we sat down in the mixing room to talk about what just happened and what it all meant. And in the process, we covered everything from the new album of "stadium music" to the Chef's most-prized style tip.

···
    GQ: Raekwon, you just tried fencing. How does it relate to rapping?
    Raekwon: To me, it's the sword style: Your sword is your tongue. It represents your ability to move, think, and be on point. That's how we look at it when we spit rhymes; it's like I'm challenging you in a verbal way. In hip-hop, everything is about the sword—who's faster, who's sharper. Before a fencing match, they say, "En garde." Same thing for an MC: Be on point. I might get you.

GQ: The world champion fencer in foil bumps your music during practice, so there's another crossover. Miles, which tracks are your go-tos?
    Miles Chamley-Watson: "Glaciers of Ice," "10 Bricks," "C.R.E.A.M." When I moved to the U.S. from England, the first rap group I listened to was Wu-Tang Clan. I was in love with them. And then when I met Raekwon, we made a connection, and he showed me so much love. He's the first person I listened to when I moved here, so it's only right that I gave him some fencing lessons.

GQ: How did you meet Miles?
    Raekwon: Through my management. I was at the studio, and he came through. He was like, "Yo, I'm a big fan of your music," and I told him how I think fencing's one of the illest contact sports. Sometimes we watch it on YouTube and you see motherfuckers getting hit; shit be going through their arms, popping out, you know what I mean? You have to be tough to really fuck with it.

GQ: On the cover of Enter the Wu-Tang: 36 Chambers, the whole team's decked out in ninja gear and masks that resemble fencing gear.
    Raekwon: It's so crazy, because when we put the masks on, it was almost like we was feeling like fencers. We wanted to be seen as some new pirates. We mastered the sword-style of rhyming.

GQ: Miles, what did you make of Rae's fencing instincts?
    Miles Chamley-Watson: I'm not gonna lie, he was actually good. I'd tell him if he was bad, honestly. He held it amazing the first time. When I tried to go around, he had a real good reflex, so he's a natural. But then, he's amazing at his craft, so I'm not surprised. I can say that from me being not too bad myself. [Laughs]

GQ: Speaking of the Wu-Tang Clan, I noticed the team's brand Wu Wear has been popping up a lot lately, especially on Drake.
    Raekwon: I'm very humbled that we're seen like that, because that's how I looked at my heroes in rap. People ages 10 to 50 come up to us and do this [gives Wu-Tang hand sign], and I think, "Where's my crown and gown at?" It's a great feeling. It shows that when you work hard at something you believe you're good at, people acknowledge it. I guess they look at us like the real gods of hip-hop. Though that's how I look at us, too. We the Greek Gods; I could've been Hercules or something.

GQ: Hell yeah. And Miles, you're also into fashion.
    Miles Chamley-Watson: Yes, I'm a big fashion person. I like wearing different things—you never want to be put in a box. It could be a long tee or a tight suit—whatever feels right. Today, I've got Auston Bjorkman from Sir New York keeping me looking good in black and gold.

Raekwon: Yeah, a black and gold look—that's what I'm saying.

Miles: Exactly. Hey, that's why I did it. [Points to bleached blond hair]

Raekwon: You've also got on high-top wingtips; I've never seen that.

GQ: Raekwon, what are your style rules?
    Raekwon: People used to ask me, "Yo, would you wear a kilt?" And I'd be like, "Yeah, I'd wear a kilt." I'd wear a kilt if I'm in Ireland, you know? Style is what you want it to be, and it ain't what people always want to see. My mom used to tell me, "Yo, you don't have to have a lot of clothes; it's just how you wear them." And if you don't got nothing, at least come outside with a clean T-shirt on. Just a white tee, and you'll make it through the day.

Miles Chamley-Watson: I don't necessarily have a don't—if it looks good to me, I'll wear it.

Raekwon: That's what's important: if it feels good. You won't see the Chef with skinny jeans on. Last time I wore skinny jeans I was probably like 10 years old, and I didn't have no clothes. I'd wear my uncle's clothes, which were mediums. I was still a chubby dude. At the end of the day, it's what you feel good in.

GQ: Miles met you at a recording session. Tell me about the new album.
    Raekwon: I named it Fly International Luxurious Art, because I feel like it's a lifestyle project. I did so much in my career that now it's all about me at my best. I've managed to mature musically, but still keep that Wu sound. I connected with some powerful producers, like Jerry Wonda, people who I really looked up to and did so many fucking hit records, you know? We got another classic on our back. It's stadium music. You want to make music for everybody, not just the underground cat. I'm not gonna give you just one dish—that's never been my thing. That's why the Wu made me the Chef. I'm always dealing with different flavors of music. I wasn't scared to do a Justin Bieber record with Kanye. At the time, everyone was like, "Rae, don't do it, don't do it!" But it's all about taking chances and believing in what you believe. I always want to come out a winner, but sometimes you've got to lose to win. Fortunately, I ain't lose on that one.

GQ: That's a good ending note.
    Raekwon: Let me tell you something: A true champion has to take at least one loss. At least. It's a learning factor. If you're not willing to take a blow to give a blow, then you don't really know what you're doing. This ain't the sport for you then. Some albums is gonna hit, some ain't. It's all about getting back up. That's the true champion right there, a true warrior.

Miles Chamley-Watson: Said by a true warrior.

Raekwon: Respect.

Raekwon's first single off Fly International Luxurious Art, "Sound Boy Kill It," is out December 10th.

New album named "Fly International Luxurious Art", interesting...

Veteran Member

Cool.

Raekwon shouldn't wear skinny jackets though.

Quote Originally Posted by diggy View Post
    Cool.

Raekwon shouldn't wear skinny jackets though.
    maybe the largest size they had.... or raekwon had one custom made in china cuz fencing jackets don't come in 5XL.

Had to.

it's begun.