Thread: Will Wu ever get back to the popularity they had in the mid 1990's?

Banned

Default Will Wu ever get back to the popularity they had in the mid 1990's?

Ever since (what some people say) the wu fell off in the late 90's, i have been waiting for them to get back to where they used to be as far as popularity goes. i thought this would happen so many times. for example:

1 world according to rza -i thoght this idea was so new and innovative, but it got no big push in the u.s.

2. raekwon and his new labe -universal never gave him the support

3. ghostface signing to def jam -same shit as rae

4. 36 records formed under loud -loud went out of business soon after that

5. ODB's death -seemed to help biggie and tupac

6. rza scoring movies

and with all this shit, wu never got back on top

now with the following, can it happen, or will wee dissappointed again

1. raekwon being executively produced by busta rhymes

2. muggs vs. gza

3. ghostface and mf doom

4. ghost and his 2nd release under def jam

5. wu vs. indie culture

6. new clan album

Default Re: Will Wu ever get back to the popularity they had in the mid 1990's?

its possible but no very probable.

the only shot they have at getting back their commercial success is with a grossly ill wu tang clan album, and that is an absolute long hail mary shot.

the hiphop audience has changed from what it was when wu blew up more than 10 years ago. a wu-tang forever type album isnt gonna sell 2 million records in todays hiphop climate.
    Christianity = White Supremacy

Veteran Member

exactly, the hiphop audience has changed

there have been some absolute classic hiphop albums since the late 90s

for example, Cannibal Ox, the cold vein, although critically acclaimed in the underground, nobody in the mainstream knows about them or that album

like GZA says on Grandmasters, "i make music from the heart, and not for the charts"

maybe if they appear on chappelle show again right before they drop a dope group album

Veteran Member

chapelle show isn't happening anymore

Niggas Against Society Ironman Starks's Avatar

^^^^lol is it canceled altogether or is he just takin his time with that???

but yeah i doubt it

i voted "no"

FRESH FISH

No fucking way will they ever regain their 90s popularity. Even if they make some occasional dope music here and there (and somedays I think even that's a stretch) they're never gonna be that big again. They blew their last chance at real popularity in 2000 or 2001.

Its like when you have an old girlfriend who no matter how much you loved her at the time, she just kept on fucking up and fucking up so that years later even if she seems like she might actually get her shit together, by then its too late and you've moved on and you just don't care anymore. (yes I speak from experience haha)

Also people gotta remember that every music act has a shelf life in terms of mainstream acceptance. Why should Wu be any different? Wu-Tang Forever is an album title, not reality. And while hip-hop in general has gone to shit and peoples tastes have changed for the most part, Wu has played their part well in their slump from popularity by making a lot of BAD music since 1999 or so. Nothing exists in a bubble. Yes people don't check for them anymore...but maybe they would if they didn't get this wack?

Remember a million people bought The W. People WANTED to still like Wu. If they didn't well, can't place all the blame on the fans.

It's absolutely impossible.
    As for myself: I had come to the conclusion that there was nothing sacred about myself or any human being, that we were all machines, doomed to collide and collide and collide.
    - Kurt Vonnegut

it doesnt matter as long as they is the wu tang clan

no

fuck it..why give up hope for the ones you love so much..anything is possible..something big could happen that ppl would recognise them,and they could make another wu album that suits to ppls taste these days and could be big again..shits possible.

FRESH FISH

they are making another album and what you said will happin

its more a a rock album with gutars from redhot chillies and people from S.O.A.D

more pople are into rock these days

i will say they will blow the fuck back up.
    and if they dont there still in million of peoples minds no matter what

W.T.W. O.G.

Not to act like a pathetic hopeful, but I think yall underestimate the clan.

I'm not sayin that I think its gonna happen, so don't try to argue with me for saying this. But really, who's got a stronger crew in the entire hip hop industry? All it takes is cooperation from everyone, generals and affiliates. Remember how much the Wu was all over HipHopSite the other week just from a couple of weak releases? Now picture them comin full-strike, floodin shit, song after song. Nobody could outshine that. They really have the strength in both skills and numbers for a takeover if they really strived for it.

"They couldn't be more wrong, my clique was all strong
    Fit together seamlessly, 'til you all gone."

Men walk around with a thousand fears.