Thread: Common - Universal Mind Control

student of the culture White_Mouse's Avatar

Default Common - Universal Mind Control

So my copy of this joint just got destroyed by my friend's children so I thought I'd write a brief review on what I thought of this joint. In my opinion, although it may be Common's worst Cd I would say its by no means wack, in total I rate it 3.5 outta 5 mics but lemme break it down

1. The INtro is cool to me, I don't know what the Spanish chick is saying but the opening track is sick as fuck to me, Common's flow is biotic as he describes it so it feels both natural and electronic and sets the tone for the whole album 5/5

2. Punch Drunk Love gets a little boring after a while but Common is solid on the mic only thing is he doesn't really have a lot of lines that are quotable on this track, as with the case with the majority of the project for me

3. Make my day, 2.5 forgettable

4. Sex for sugar is one of my fav tracks for sure, the hook is catchy and Common brings some of the best double entrendes here 4.5/5

5. Announcement is aight not really my fav tho, Pharrel got some good lines tho 3.5

6. Gladiator, also one of my favorites "And a fist a pain, ARE YOU NOT ENTERTAINED" fucking dope track battle rhymes are way sick on this 5/5 for me

7. Changes has a nice hook again forgettable rhymes 3/5

8.. Inhale again forgettable but ok don't remember a lot about it and can't use youtube rite now so fuck it 2.5/5

9. What a World, Is catchy to me the hook use to be a little weird to me but off the strength of the way the whole song is put together about 4/5

10. And Everywhere is a good outro nothing really stand out tho no rating on that for me

So those are my thoughts, post yours on this slept on slightly forgettable dirty gem
    My Musik @
    www.myspace.com/mousetheprodigy
    grace&piece

-

Didn't this album come out in 2006 or 2008? Last album of his i liked was Resurrection LOL. His albums got too soft after that. Can I Borrow A Dollar and Resurrection are the only albums of his i listen to. I did like his Sweet song that came out several years ago when he dissed Drake. I wish he would do more hard songs like that. It's really sad that he had to come out with that song to let people know he got skills because people seem to think he's soft because he's done soft songs for a long time now. I never slept on his skills when he started doing soft songs because i know he's a good rapper. You see how he shitted on Ice Cube on The Bitch In You and Ice Cube didn't respond LOL.

Quote Originally Posted by CharlesJones View Post
    The TV dinners I like is macaroni and cheese with fish and rice with chicken and broccoli. I also like Stouffer's microwaved spaghetti.
    I also like the food U-God talked about. He said he can cook spaghetti and fried chicken and i would like to taste it to see if he's a good cook. I like spaghetti and fried chicken.

^ i think it was released in 2008... i bought it for the equivalent of like 1 or 2 dollars, and in my mind this is an absolute horrible album. by far Common's worst album ever, i like pretty much all of his albums but this was real wack. lyrically he didn't talk about anything important as he usually does, and the club type of beats really don't fit him at all. "Nobody's Smiling" where he also tried to update to the new Chicago sound was a much better effort to say the least

daily updates: news, articles, reviews, the best compilations on the net. that true skool street hop!

r.i.p. Johan D, Kaddu, Ricke a.k.a. "Slick Rick" and the rest of the fallen soldiers - you'll never be forgotten!

-

LOL@you think this is his worst album hahahahahahahahahahahaha. I'm surprised you didn't say Electric Circus is his worst album LOL. I didn't like Come Close song at first from that album but the song grew on me and i think it's a nice love song. I don't know why he wore wack clothes in the video LOL.

The TV dinners I like is macaroni and cheese with fish and rice with chicken and broccoli. I also like Stouffer's microwaved spaghetti.
    I also like the food U-God talked about. He said he can cook spaghetti and fried chicken and i would like to taste it to see if he's a good cook. I like spaghetti and fried chicken.

^ yeah "Come Close" is a pretty nice love song, i prefer the remix called "Closer" with the "Bonita Applebum" sample that also features Q-Tip, Pharrell and Erykah Badu.

daily updates: news, articles, reviews, the best compilations on the net. that true skool street hop!

r.i.p. Johan D, Kaddu, Ricke a.k.a. "Slick Rick" and the rest of the fallen soldiers - you'll never be forgotten!

-

Claaa7, it seems like you like any rap music because I rarely hear you diss rap albums LOL. You know I'm not that type of guy because I'm not afraid to diss a lot of rap albums and I don't care what people think about my opinion. You gotta admit Common has done a lot of wack albums. That's why I laugh at some of his fans who say Can I Borrow A Dollar album isn't as good as his other albums. That's his best album and it's his hardest album. He's gotten too soft after that album and Resurrection album. He's still a good rapper and rappers need to think carefully before dissing him because you saw what he did to Ice Cube and Drake. I was very impressed with Sweet song because he hadn't made a hard song like that in a long time and that's why I don't understand why he won't do more songs like that.