Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Wu-Tang Clan - "Necklace" off ABT

Why are people acting like Ron O'neal and Keep Watch are bad songs or wack beats. Both of them would be pretty damn good if not for the hooks. It's crazy that Rza doesn't see that those hooks mess up the songs completely, but it is what it is.
    Emotions are for the weak, so I sold mine to the highest bidder.

Corny Nuh! Capitalizing Cilvaringz's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by fortyglock View Post
    Nah.

Cilva, would you say Necklace is the most vintage Wu sounding (and hardest) track on the album?
    Uhm, nah.. I think the song FELT is the most vintage Wu sounding.. here's the crazy thing about that song, which I think goes for most of the album. When it starts off, it almost sounds like it's going to be a dubstep track, but soon as the emcees kick in, here come the haunting eerie pianos and harps, that real dark '95 shit. Miracle is amazing to me, not sure how yall will like it because there's a beautiful singing part that starts it off, almost in '88 Michael Jackson ballad style (not Nathaniel). Don't take that the wrong way, because it's not modern R&B style, just a very beautifully sung part, at least I think so. Then the hard drums come in and it's all harps, piano, flutes, very minor key, eerie, dark and great verses from Deck, Killa, Rae & Ghost.

I've been listening non stop and it's definitely an album you need to listen to from beginning till end, no skipping no hopping from track to track to check what they sound like. It's one of those albums with an emphasis on cohesiveness. Like 'Preachers Daughter', that is a track that you might not pick as a favorite, but how it plays into this album, simply makes sense and it fits. And soon as Meth comes in, it's like ok, only the Wu could rock shit like this and actually make it work.

Someone posted a video of RZA talking about the album, I think he said it best when he said he was looking for a Wu-Tang sound, but a new version of it. There's dark elements in it, there's funk, there's eerie shit, hard shit, memphis soul inspired shit, and emotional shit. It's Wu-Tang shit, nobody could do this type of shit, but it's simply another chamber, we're still in the temple.

What I like about it as well, is RZA's talent again. I kind of felt over the years that as a producer I could come quite close to mimicking his older work pretty well. Then I hear this and it's like, ok I can't do this, this is another level right here.

FRESH FISH

Quote Originally Posted by Mythrandir View Post
    I think it's high time the Abbot concentrates on making movies and moving in his elevated circles; doing interviews where he name-drops all the celebs he hangs out with.

I want an album produced entirely by 4th Disciple (laced with a few classics from True Master... if someone bails him out). "Necklace" proves you can retain that gritty, blood-spattered, Wu aesthetic without sounding too dated or too nostalgic. Great track!!
    Im not saying that RZA can't do great things behind the boards, it's just that he chooses not to; producing hip-hop doesn't capture his imagination anymore (for a long time now).
    I find comments like these a little obnoxious.

RZA is the only reason why any Wu-Tang albums happen. He's not just a "producer" in terms of making beats. He's a "producer" in terms of producing the album. No other Clan member, in 20 years, has shown that they have this ability, or that they have any interest.

There's a recent NY Times interview, where RZA says he spent HALF A MILLION DOLLARS on recording, and the sales probably won't recoup. What other Clan member would do that? If you're putting in the work, and putting in the money, you get to call the shots. RZA's said in many interviews that he listens to his brothers, when they have creative concerns.

What you're suggesting seems odd - what is stopping the Clan from working with 4th Disciple? They could get beats from him any time, but they do not. Why would RZA spend half a million dollars, and put in all the work to produce a Wu-Tang album, just to use beats from other producers? A creative dude like him should just be calling and scheduling studio sessions? You want him to produce the album but not be creatively involved? Why would he do that?

Cilva made an album with the Clan. The Revelations and Lil' Fame made two albums with the Clan. What's stopping 4th? What's stopping Rae? If they want to do it, they can do it, but they obviously don't.

I wasn't feeling Ron O Neal or Keep Watch 100% at first, but the new versions are cool, with the hooks toned down. Ruckus and Necklace are fire. I hope Cilva's right. I hope the album is a nice balance of old and new.
    Last edited by FakeAlias; 11-22-2014 at 09:40 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Soulless View Post
    Why are people acting like Ron O'neal and Keep Watch are bad songs or wack beats. Both of them would be pretty damn good if not for the hooks. It's crazy that Rza doesn't see that those hooks mess up the songs completely, but it is what it is.
    I actually always liked Keep Watch, because of the beat and the verses. Ron O'Neal' s beat is not bad, but Nate fucks it up for me, he makes it sound mad corny overall.
    STAY TUNED.

Nice review Ringz. I'm actually really looking forward to Preacher's Daughter, it sounded ill on the listening session snippet.
    STAY TUNED.

Veteran Member

Quote Originally Posted by Cilvaringz View Post
    Uhm, nah.. I think the song FELT is the most vintage Wu sounding.. here's the crazy thing about that song, which I think goes for most of the album. When it starts off, it almost sounds like it's going to be a dubstep track, but soon as the emcees kick in, here come the haunting eerie pianos and harps, that real dark '95 shit. Miracle is amazing to me, not sure how yall will like it because there's a beautiful singing part that starts it off, almost in '88 Michael Jackson ballad style (not Nathaniel). Don't take that the wrong way, because it's not modern R&B style, just a very beautifully sung part, at least I think so. Then the hard drums come in and it's all harps, piano, flutes, very minor key, eerie, dark and great verses from Deck, Killa, Rae & Ghost.

I've been listening non stop and it's definitely an album you need to listen to from beginning till end, no skipping no hopping from track to track to check what they sound like. It's one of those albums with an emphasis on cohesiveness. Like 'Preachers Daughter', that is a track that you might not pick as a favorite, but how it plays into this album, simply makes sense and it fits. And soon as Meth comes in, it's like ok, only the Wu could rock shit like this and actually make it work.

Someone posted a video of RZA talking about the album, I think he said it best when he said he was looking for a Wu-Tang sound, but a new version of it. There's dark elements in it, there's funk, there's eerie shit, hard shit, memphis soul inspired shit, and emotional shit. It's Wu-Tang shit, nobody could do this type of shit, but it's simply another chamber, we're still in the temple.

What I like about it as well, is RZA's talent again. I kind of felt over the years that as a producer I could come quite close to mimicking his older work pretty well. Then I hear this and it's like, ok I can't do this, this is another level right here.
    Thanks for the info. I read in a recent interview that Felt and Miracle are Masta Killa's favourites joints from the album.

From what you wrote here this album sounds like it should be listened to like both of Adrian Younge's recent albums with Ghost and Souls Of Mischief, i.e. start to finish without skipping.

After watching that vid of RZA talking about that album it seems as though this album is on some grown ish, I guess kinda in the same vein as Cormega's Mega Philosophy.

If anything this seems like the kind of album that RZA was striving to make with 8 Diagrams - making use of live instrumentation and making music for a wider audience.

I really feel this album is gonna bang. I don't mind Keep Watch or Ron O'Neal either....ya the hooks a little corny and I wish he could have but on maybe blue ras....or tekitha.....but it is what it is. Other than that sounds like the darts are there and the beats are on point. 8 diagrams was such a scattered album. This sounds like solid effort was put it to make it sound cohesive. I still wish we could hear OUATIS lol
    I'm the Greatest Scientifically Inclined Mind Since Einstein!!!!

THE QUIET SOLDIER

As we haven't heard anything about any guests on ABT are we to expect just the core 10 Generals plus a couple of singers on this album? No Priest? No Redman? No Islord? Better that than Cher auto-tuning I guess....

Corny Nuh! Capitalizing Cilvaringz's Avatar

Just Clan, no Red, no bees, I don't think I even heard Street Life

THE QUIET SOLDIER

Any idea of the Production credits for all 15 tracks? And who in your opinion is the standout MC on ABT?

iam not the biggiest fan of wu tang, but after two last singles i preordered this shit. hope no delays with shipping :|

Veteran Member

I think RZA produced all tracks apart from Crushed Egos (Adrian Younge), Necklace (4th Disciple) and Keep Watch (Mathematics).

Perhaps some co production here and there such as with Rick Rubin.

Veteran Member

Not sure if this was posted before, but it's an interesting read:

http://green-label.com/sound/wu-tang...somehow-works/

Veteran Member

http://fusion.net/story/25397/wu-tan...group-therapy/

Then there’s the rest of the Shaolin (Method Man, GZA, Raekwon), who keep it hard-hitting on the album as well, particularly with the track “Felt.” As RZA said last night, the group titled it so “because [they] don’t give a f**k how other people felt” about Wu-Tang’s intra-group drama.

Doesn't street do the hook on mistaken identity?