Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: How's Raekwon's book?

Yeah the Cilvaringz book was cool cos it was basically just an ongoing story about one event. I think I quite enjoyed it.

I didn't know about that Buddha Monk book. I'll probably get that too. I read a shit tonne of musician's (auto) biographies, but very few hip hop ones. Ice-T's autobio is the final book I'm still waiting for in the mail tho, and I'm pretty keen to read that.

Just googling about hip hop autobios, not many I'm interested in, but one I did think might be interesting is Scarface. Cheap too. Anybody read it?

I just ordered it.

Ordered the Buddha ODB one too

^I saw that one n tossed up whether or not I'd wanna read it. Maybe one day. I'll def keep it in mind.

All the hip hop books have co-writers (it’ll say “Raekwon with…”) because they can’t write an entire book by themselves. Same thing with sports books. So the voice is theirs, but the actual writing is done by the co-writer, who’s a professional author.

The Prodigy book is good, Raekwon is decent, and the Cilvaringz was interesting. I haven’t read any others. I’d read a biography on Big Pun, Ghostface, Roc Marci, Big L, Slick Rick

I was thinking today how MF Grimm would be an interesting one, and then I remembered there was the graphic novel about his life, which was pretty cool from what I remember. Dunno if I bought that or dl'ed it. Think I just dl'ed it. Don't remember ever having a physical copy of it.

Quote Originally Posted by noel411 View Post
    Yeah the Cilvaringz book was cool cos it was basically just an ongoing story about one event. I think I quite enjoyed it.

I didn't know about that Buddha Monk book. I'll probably get that too. I read a shit tonne of musician's (auto) biographies, but very few hip hop ones. Ice-T's autobio is the final book I'm still waiting for in the mail tho, and I'm pretty keen to read that.
    I actually read the Ice T autobio, but this was like 20 years ago. Together with the one about LL, and the one about Corey/Monster. That last one is real good. As far as I recall both Ice T & LL's book were entertaining. They were properly written, but I could be off since this is like 20 years ago.
    http://img110.imageshack.us/img110/6476/adjeod2.gif
    :: Wu-Tang Mountain is no more ::

Wu-Tang: failing the internet tubes since 1997

I think this Ice-T one might be more recent. I think he's maybe written a few. Not sure.

I've read Monster too. Was a very good read.

That is no the one I read. Because I finished mine 10 years before this was published. lol. FOUND IT! I read The Ice Opinion (https://www.amazon.com/Ice-Opinion-T...p%2C329&sr=1-4) Which in Dutch had the subtitle Sex, God & Rap: The World According To Ice-T. Might want to pick both that old & new one to read. I recall Ice-T being a smart guy, so both these might be interesting reads.

Monster was good starting point for anyone interested in gang culture.

Couple years ago I read Notorious C.O.P., book I randomly came across in a shop for cheap. The book is also referenced in the Buddha book. That one is not very well written, and just sort of an account of all the people this guy met along the way. He did point out the drug connections in the JMJ murder before they actually picked up on it. All the stuff about Pac & Big is a bit meh. The story abut The Comission, and putting that into retrospect with rappers begin robbed & killed again is interesting.
    Btw, did anybody get that comic book form the last bobby digital album?
    http://img110.imageshack.us/img110/6476/adjeod2.gif
    :: Wu-Tang Mountain is no more ::

Wu-Tang: failing the internet tubes since 1997

Just googling about hip hop autobios, not many I'm interested in, but one I did think might be interesting is Scarface. Cheap too. Anybody read it?
    I can't imagine a scarface one being good lol. He's a good rapper but his personality comes off unnecessarily bitter and off. I can imagine it being an unusually non-specific novel about him being tired of ppl thinking he's a rapper. That's the type of shit he's on in interviews I've heard lol

Rapper books are more entertaining than any other bio genre I can think of but they usually lack self reflection and self awareness and are written like a guy who's never read a book trying to sound like what he thinks a book sounds like. Rzas are of course exceptions.

50 cents is really fucking good. Very surprising and multi-dimensional. He's honest about his flas and mistakes and has a generally interesting way of thinking

I saw The Ice Opinion when I was browsing. Figured I'd go for the more up to date one.

I've never watched or read a Scarface interview or anything. Only know him from the Geto Boys albums and his first 3 solo albums. But I was heavy into that early to mid 90's southern rap in the mid 90's, so I'm interested to read about that whole scene. The first 3 (proper) Geto Boys albums, and South Park Psycho still rank among my favourite hip hop albums.

I saw the 50 Cent one. I can see that it'd be potentially a good read, but just not interested in the guy, or his music. I'd buy it if I saw it for a couple of dollars, and put it aside for when I have nothing else to read. But not gonna actively buy it online or anything.

”Still craps and lies” Andy Warhov's Avatar

All the Raekwon highlights prolly came out on the press tour of him dissing RZA as he likes to do