Thread: RZA co-executive produdcd a movie

Banned

Default RZA co-executive produdcd a movie

Bokeem Woodbine: Life of a Champion

By: Clay Cane
    April 14, 2006

Bokeem Woodbine is the legendary supporting actor in films like Jason’s Lyric, Life and Ray. His aggressive performances and commanding presence on the silver screen is undeniable even next to superstars like Jada Pinkett-Smith, Eddie Murphy and Oscar-winner Jamie Foxx. In the fickle land of pale Hollywood, Woodbine has managed to maintain fourteen years in the business with an impressive resume and solid perspective on life. In the straight to DVD release of Blood of a Champion, co-staring R&B singer Deborah Cox and co-executive produced by RZA from Wu-Tang Clan, Woodbine is flexing his acting muscles in this action flick meets love story.

In an interview with VIBE.com, Woodbine discusses African-Americans in Hollywood, his ever growing career and Blood of a Champion, which hit stores March 7th.

Vibe.com: Tell us about your new project with RZA from Wu-Tang Clan?

Bokeem Woodbine: It’s something RZA hipped me to about two years ago – he knew I was trying to make a full reign into action. He said he was producing this project with a fairly new director who's talented and it might be something I would be into. I read the script and the very next day I said, "Hey man – I dig it, so how can we work it out?” To make a long story short – we worked it out.

What is the movie about?
    B.W.: The movie is really a love story with an action back drop. My character, Shadow, is trying to adjust from being locked to being free. He can box and before he went in the pen he was a boxer. He gets into the whole underground fighting scene and his girl, Sharon (played by Deborah Cox), doesn’t want him to do it, but she still stands by him. One thing leads to another and the drama ensues.

When I first got the role I thought it was an action piece more so, but the more I participated in the film I saw, it’s really a love story first. I think people are going to enjoy it and Deborah Cox puts in a really good performance. It’s going to have some nice surprises for folks.

Were you a fan of Wu-Tang Clan?

B.W.: Oh, hell yeah! Not only am I a fan, but they are like family members to me. RZA is kind of like a big brother. I’m a huge fan and remain so.

Do you feel your acting career is where you expected to be, or has it surpassed your expectations?
    Print
    Email
    Comment

B.W.: I’ve never really had any kind of set date of where I wanted to be so I am not disappointed. I do think the momentum is starting to gather, things are picking up and I’m being propelled forward – particularly this year. This year is really starting to be a groundbreaking one for me that really allows me to utilize my potential. Like I said, I never really had any date set as when I'm suppose to be here – so I’ve just been pleasantly surprised the whole time.

Many people think with Denzel, Halle and Jamie Fox wining Oscars within the past few years that it’s much easier for African-Americans to excel in Hollywood -- do you agree?

B.W.: No – if you say much easier, that’s a lie. If you say it has improved minutely then that’s the truth, but I’ve been in the game for a second, and there can be backlash to all of the so-called strides being made. There’s still plenty of powerful people in this business who don’t want to employ African-Americans in films, and will take this as an opportunity to say ‘look, we’ve given them Negroes plenty of Oscars in the past couple years, lets not give them a goddamn thing in the next couple. ‘ There’s still people like that so we’re going to have to wait and see how that plays out. I do think it’s definitely gotten a little better, but not a lot better. Winning a few Oscars doesn’t necessarily change one of the fundamental things that create a barrier for us, which are people’s attitudes. People who cast these films still have negative, disparaging views about African-Americans so they’ll block us from time to time, or whenever they can because of how they feel about us.

What do you think about the current black movies that are successful now,like Tyler Perry’s movies?

B.W.: I think Tyler Perry’s success is fantastic. I think it shows how innovative and determined a person can be and I think that is definitely one of the most beneficial things we’ve had happened in black Hollywood in the past five to ten years. His ability to come from basically nowhere and have such huge success is more substantial than us winning Oscars in recent years.
    What has been your favorite movie that you’ve done so far?

B.W.: Wow – I can’t say, I don’t have just one. My favorite movie is probably in the future somewhere.

Which character that you’ve played is most like you?

B.W.: Very tricky question (laughs) … I’m going to say Can’t Get Right for the movie Life – he was talented, good looking dude, didn’t say a whole lot and knocked up the warden’s daughter. (laughs)

How were you discovered?

B.W.: Forrest Whittaker gave me my first break. I was an extra in a picture called Juice and a lady called me out of the blue about a year and half later and said, “Hey, if you’re not doing anything come on down for this open call.” I had no idea what an open call was – I went to the open call and to make a long story short, I met Forrest. That same day he cast me in Strapped and 14 years later -- here I am.

Are you dating, or involved with anyone?
    B.W.: I’m about to get married next year.

Who is currently in your CD player?

B.W.: I got this record with John Coltrane and Thelonious Monk playing live somewhere in Europe. I got The Killers, Bob Marley and my band’s demo.</B>

What type of music do you play?

B.W.: Rock music and I play guitar.

What actors would you like to work with?

B.W.: I’d like to work with Morgan Freeman, Sean Penn, Johnny Depp and Forrest again.

What’s your favorite movie of all time?

B.W.: I like Conan the Barbarian (laughs) … that isn’t necessarily an actor’s movie, but it’s one of my favorites.

What advice would you give to other actors?

B.W.: I would say try to keep the light on in your heart because it’s so easy to let this town crush that light. Try to maintain the smile in your heart, keep the light in your soul and learn from everything, and use every experience you have from day to day. Try to keep as much stuff that goes on in your regular life clear in your mind so you can draw on it in the future for whatever role you have to do.

Tell me the first thing that comes to your mind when I say these words – Hurricane Katrina …
    B.W.: Conspiracy.

Three 6 Mafia …
    B.W.: Victory.

Brokeback Mountain … B.W.: Comedy!

Thanks for that