• Mediocre

2 3.45%
  • Wack

1 1.72%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Ghostface killah-apollo kids review

aka The Chaotica SHEEPISH LORD OF CHAOS's Avatar

Default Ghostface killah-apollo kids review

While the rap world gushes at all the radio singles and boastful colorful culture that hip hop has morphed into far from the b-boy and park jams, Ghostface Killah manages to show and prove why he’s one of the “Apollo Kids”. And if the title does sound familiar it’s because it was the lead single with Raekwon off of Ghost’s stellar second effort that today is considered a classic, “Supreme Clientele”. And while some can complain that Ghost’s last effort was too experiemental and all that stuff with the R&B wasn’t needed if you look at how dope “Ghost Dini” was and what it took to make a brave album like that then your not hearing what dope rap sounds like.

When you jump off an album like Ghost did with this with the Frank Dukes Produced “Purified Thoughts” featuring GZA & Killah Priest all murking the track with Wu-isms and lyrics that a purified thoughts that cannot be bought just absorbed. And this album is filled with guests some expected like Method Man, Raekwon, Cappadonna, Trife, Wiggs, GZA and Killah Priest to some unexpected like Black Thought, Jim Jones, The Game & Joell Ortiz, bu all in all the album works because Ghost beastly flows, hard rhymes, ear for production all make the album work like an well oiled machine.

Even though it’s a too short album with not enough of solo Ghostface for this listener, it still has hard rhymes on tracks like “How You Like it Baby”, “Together Baby”, Starkology” to even the hard knock beat thumping punishing rhymes and lines on the four Wu-Featured “Trouble Makers”, “Ghetto”, “Black Tequila” and the aforedmentioned “Purfied Thoughts” all bring Ghost’s dopeness out all while still doing what he does best and it shows.

One of strong points of the album is the production and how it all vibed and gelled together, and again this is showing Ghost’s A&R skills as with a lot of his previous efforts and if you look how well done “Wu-Massacre” was done, then it should be no shock in how good this album sounds. But on of the flaws from a short album with heavy features is not enough solo stuff and one of the tracks I felt was dope but should have been a solo was “Handcuffing them Hoes” featuring Jim Jones, it just felt like it didn’t fit the mix of the album with him on the vocals. Overall this album is a hard 4 out of 5 even with the blemishes, you can scratch out the flaws and put this album on consistent rotation a few times and never get tired of it.

Rating: 4 out of 5

I'm too lazy to write me a full review right now,
    but I agree with your rating - the album bangs! Solid 4/5 release

I pre-ordered the album about a month ago, but haven't received it yet...
    anyone else got the physical copy yet? I hope their ain't issues with distribution, my retailer usually gets releases earlier than the set release date

"Can't believe you on the canvas, I'm just throwin jabs" - Inspectah Deck

Blueminati

I complained about not getting my CD here, and a few hours later I receive an email from the music store that I can pick up my pre-order!

"Can't believe you on the canvas, I'm just throwin jabs" - Inspectah Deck

Blueminati

Purified thoughts- 4.5 / 5 (would of been cool to get rza on this, would of been a 4th chamber reunion)
    Superstar- 3.5 / 5 busta and ghost rip it. Hook brings the track down a little.
    Black tequilla- 4/5 Dope. All three go in. Cap sounds hungry. Trife's voice is deeper and better. Spits a dope verse.
    drama- every verse ghost spits is ill. he hasn't lost a step. Ortiz is nice. Game best verse since that track he did with nas.
    2getha baby- 5/5. nothing else to say
    starkology- 4.5/5. the awkardness reminds me of the block rock track from more fish.
    in parks- 4/5. black thought got the edge on this one which aint saying much because they both came with that ill shit.
    how u like me baby- 4.5 / 5. Starks has so many quotable on this songand album.
    handcuffin them hoes-3.5 / 5 nice tack. ghost got the edge over jones. He had a good little verse though. I liked his verse on dopium better though..
    street bullies- 4/5 sheek ripped this track to shreds. one of the best verses on the album. wiggs and sungod just cant get on that level. They were alright though.
    ghetto- 4.5/5 I like what they did with the hook and the verses. I like hearing these 4 guys on one track.
    trouble makers- 4/5. meth tore this track. Red had ill lines. Ghost and rae always sound fresh together.

I pretty much agree with sheepish.
    This needs to be released on vinyl!

Standouts: In Tha Park, Purified Thoughts, Ghetto, How You Like Me Baby, Troublemakers, Black Tequila, Drama, Superstar (am i the only one feeling this?)

Score: 4.25/5

FRESH FISH

Apollo Kids is Ghosts best album since Fishscale!!!

aka The Chaotica SHEEPISH LORD OF CHAOS's Avatar

i love this lp just wished we had more toney starks solo shit though and less jim jones

Superior..

Purified Thoughts.. what an opener!!

all the Frank Dukes tracks are fire..

In tha Park fuckin BANGS!..

also i think Street Bullies could have been some classic shit if Ghost would've took a verse instead of Wiggs..

Allow me to demonstrate M-Dizzle's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by RynMur View Post
    I pretty much agree with sheepish.
    This needs to be released on vinyl!

Standouts: In Tha Park, Purified Thoughts, Ghetto, How You Like Me Baby, Troublemakers, Black Tequila, Drama, Superstar (am i the only one feeling this?)

Score: 4.25/5
    Nah man, I really like superstar too, it's a hype track

Don't grab my jacket dunn Hollow Dartz's Avatar

1. Purified Thoughts (Feat. Killah Priest & Gza)
    This is a nice joint to open up the album, this beat is pretty dope. Ghostface Killah opens this shit up with some ill ass rhymes, he sounds better than he did on Big Doe Rehab IMO. He sounds refreshed on here, to me it sounds like he is swaying away from the "Trife" style rapping, it's still there but you can tell he's starting to do some Ghost shit now. Priest comes in and smashes his verse, sounds like something off "The Exorcist" mixtapes, he ripped it though, glad to see him on a clan member album besides Gza & ODB. Speaking of Gza, he definitely surprised me on this one right here, ill dartz, but most of all he sounds energized!! Thank you Gza. Overall this is a solid Track. 4/5

2. Superstar (Feat. Busta Rhymes)
    This my shit right here, this is the first track I always play off this album then I go back to track 1. I just like the vibe of this one, you just feel like you that nigga when you play this. The beat is nice as shit, Ghost just comes in on the track and start kicking rhymes going in with the flow. The hook is "aight" but besides that this flows well. Busta Rhymes deliver a great verse on here, he sounds great over this beat. Pretty solid track. 4/5

3. Black Tequila (Feat. Cappadonna & Trife)
    LOL at Ghost making that horse sound at the beginning, that's the best part about this track. Besides that this jawn is nice. Ghost does his job and just dips off. Cappadonna delivers a good verse, something we havent heard from him in awhile, he definitely is entertaining on this one right here, i'm loving it. Trife delivers a "Trife" verse to end it off just right. 3.5/5

4. Drama (Feat. Joell Ortiz & The Game)
    This is one of my favorites on the album. First off this beat is just chill, I'm loving it.Ghostface at the beginning is funny as shit lol. Ghostface just is throwing punches on the mic, he does this shit effortlessly his verse just is nice on here, I'll tell you Ghost is that nigga in Wu-Tang, tells stories effortlessly. Joell Ortiz drops a nice story on this one, I like the picture he paints on here, I see this shit clear as day, I'm definitely loving the vibe of the track. The Game just went off on this shit real talk. Like every bar on this verse gets better by the end of the verse. He has the best verse on this track arguably on this album. 4.5/5

5. 2getha Baby
    This is another one of my favorites. This beat is real nice, I'm not gonna lie the lyrics make this track sound like this is supposed to be a club joint, but this track just got that vibe to it, maybe it's the sample. But this shit is nice in the whip. Can't wait to see the video for this. Ghost just does what's necessary on this one, his mic performance wasn't all that but the overall vibe of this track is nice.. 4.5/5

6. Starkology
    What's wrong with this track? This shit is fire, especially in the whip I bang this shit with no problem. Ghost is hardbody on this shit for real. That beat is nice, shoutout to Scram Jones for this one. Ghost shows these little niggaz he still got the rhymes. This nigga 40 still spitting shit like this, catching bodies on the mic. SMH. 4/5

7. In The Park (Feat. Black Thought)
    I'm not gonna lie, I'm not into this beat too much, I can't blast this in the whip. It's still is a nice track though. Ghostface just spits some dartz and jumps off the track on here, I'm not feeling that BS hook on this one. Black Thought spazzed out on this shit, he caught bodies on here for sure, definitely outshines Ghostface on this one, but I doubt Ghost cares. But Black Thought just shows he's one of the last real lyricists alive for real. Philly shit for yall niggaz. 4/5

8. How You Like Me Baby
    I still feel the same way I did when I heard this awhile back. Pete Rock on the beat. Solid Ghostface. Solid track. Won't go in too much on this one. 4/5

9. Handcuffin' Them Hoes (Feat. Jim Jones)
    I like this shit, you can tell this some radio shit, but this is smooth. I'm feeling it. The track is straight up about niggaz wife-ing up these hoes. Ghost and Jones give it to niggaz straight up on here. I was expecting much worse to be honest but this shit is nice. 3.5/5

10. Street Bullies (Feat. Wigs, Sheek Louch & Sun God)
    This beat is fucking Nasty. This shit goes hard in the whip. Wigs is fucking wack as shit. He starts off good on here, but by the end of his verse, youre like "ok get this nigga off the mic" especially with that "buttnaked by the sink" line. Anyways Sheek Louch bodied the track. Best verse on this shit for real, this shit gets me amped everytime I hear this shit, I feel like getting up and smacking a nigga. Sun God comes solid on, nothing really else to talk about. I think they should've replaced wiggs with Jadakiss, and Ghost should've had a verse instead of Sun God and I would've gave this a 5/5, but it is what it is. 4/5

11. Ghetto (Feat. Raekwon, Cappadonna & U-God)
    Another hot joint. Overused sample but this is pretty nice. I'm feeling the concept of this one. Raekwon sounds fresh off CLII/Wu-Massacre, can't wait for his new shit. Cappadonna drops another raw verse on here, I'm definitely feeling that right there, adding a nice vibe to the track, Ghost drops a solid verse on here about rat niggaz lol, U-God ends this off nice, his flow sounds choppy on some parts but this is pretty solid. 4/5

12. Troublemakers (Feat. Raekwon, Redman & Method Man)
    My favorite track off the album. Beat is fire first of all. Raekwon is killing shit left & right, he comes in this shit just rippin it, Ghostface drops a solid hardbody verse on here on some "Big Doe Rehab" shit, Redman just bodies this shit effortlessly, it's my favorite verse on the track. Method Man ends this shit off just right, I wish this nigga drops a solo before he hits 45. 5/5

Beats - 4/5
    Lyrics - 4/5
    Overall -4/5

Ghostface Killah IS the most consistent member in the Wu-Tang Clan.
    Last edited by Hollow Dartz; 03-12-2011 at 09:22 PM.
    Only a few years ago Hip Hop purists may have felt superior listening to hard core while their less enlightened companions snacked on commercial rap. As Shaolin research began to point out the overwhelming benefits of raw production, true hip hop enthusiasts started turning back to traditional styles. Wu-Tang in particular, has been shown to myriad beneficial effects, from warding off ignorance and poverty to reducing the risk of incarceration and death.

Good review couldn't agree more this album is flames, tfuck that the wu is back, the wu never left.

OL'DIRTY BASTARD (R.I.P.)

This is defo the best ghost album hes done in a while, he's sounding re-energised for sure. I only have one qualm and yeah some of you might tear into me for this ,or call me a nerd,,but the sound quailty of the album wasnt sounding right,if only it had that Supreme Clientelle shine to it no matter what I do with my equaliser I cant get that nice balance of sound, it would of been totally balastic if it had that supreme feel cos the beats and lyirics are fire. But anyway on a positive note, if this is the shape of things to come then blue and cream, SC2 and whatever else he gona drop in the future is gona be even sicker.

Default gfk

why when a ghost album released , everyone are like fools???? and say his best album since supreme clientele?

there are only 3 dope ghost album, in order;
    supreme >= ironman and bulletproof wallet ( razorsharp and rza supervisor)
    i dont understant how people are masturbate on fishscale or more fish or worst rnb shit album
    since ghost have give up wu fam production ( rza true math carlos bess blaquesmith....) he do average track and not perfect album

i am waiting for master crafstman, masta, and rza the cure and liquid sword 2
    maybe pillage 2 if true master entirely produced it, and heavy mental 2 if credit by Disciple
    dont forget bronze , able to produced wu song like 95 96 97 98 gold years
    ropes knive reakwon shit is dope , look like wu tang forevere beats

Quote Originally Posted by Hollow Dartz View Post
    7. In The Park (Feat. Black Thought)
    I'm not gonna lie, I'm not into this beat too much, I can't blast this in the whip.
    in my opinion that was one of the hardest beats on there!..

Quote Originally Posted by Rawticus View Post
    But anyway on a positive note, if this is the shape of things to come then blue and cream, SC2 and whatever else he gona drop in the future is gona be even sicker.
    yea.. SCII i cannot wait!..

and i hope he sticks with Blue & Cream.. i love that title..

Quote Originally Posted by truemath4th View Post
    i dont understant how people are masturbate on fishscale or more fish or worst rnb shit album
    since ghost have give up wu fam production ( rza true math carlos bess blaquesmith....) he do average track and not perfect album

maybe pillage 2 if true master entirely produced it, and heavy mental 2 if credit by Disciple
    what?..

Fishscale was wack?..

Ghost's beat choice is average?..

Last edited by issues; 01-07-2011 at 10:18 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by truemath4th View Post
    why when a ghost album released , everyone are like fools???? and say his best album since supreme clientele?

listen to mush mouf ova here