Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: David Banner Clarifies Context Of Sharpton Rant

Quote Originally Posted by blackwisdom View Post
    We lack proper foundation and infrastructure. A lot of our true Hip Hop leaders are marginalized, silenced, bought out, or knocked out. We have some great leaders but unfortunately their voices don't carry as far and as strong (at this time) as we need them to in order to saturate to the point where they will be maximumly effective. This is a very partial reply.

fuck a voice, build. use your hands, im sick all voices, all these faggots do is talk, buy land, shoot cops back when they shoot at you, protect your own property and your set.

these white ppl are trying to kill you. period.

Quote Originally Posted by CharlesJones View Post
    I agree with you about whites discriminating against blacks on the job. They've been doing that for a long time and they haven't changed. I hate filling out job applications too because it takes them forever to call me and most of the time, they don't call me at all. Like Willie D of the Geto Boys said on If I Was White song, last hired and first fired, that's us LOL. Man i'm sick and tired of these prejudiced bastards LOL. One million niggas in the NFL and not one black owner. Willie D speaking the truth. Ya'll should listen to that song. He speaks the truth about white people. At the end of the song, he talks and he says when a white man goes to court, the jury look at him different because he's a upstanding citizen because of the color of his skin but when they look at a black man, they say he's a slave slave slave nigga nigga nigga hahahahahahahaha.

its the truth i don't look at anyone that sells crack as dumb anymore, they ain't trying to hire us, it's not our country, might as well make some fuckin money off it, shit.

fuck if it's illegal, Us voting was illegal.

Walk Like a Warrior blackwisdom's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ThaShaolinAssassin View Post
    fuck a voice, build. use your hands, im sick all voices, all these faggots do is talk, buy land, shoot cops back when they shoot at you, protect your own property and your set.

these white ppl are trying to kill you. period.
    True but we have a long way to go before we can pull a "Spook That Sat By The Door."

"Read everything, listen to everybody, don't trust anything unless you can prove it with your research." - William "Bill" Cooper
    Myspace Libradio Prison Radio/Mumia Fourty-Two/Seven

i agree with you, shaolin, that blacks have come a long way in terms of the opportunities available to the average black man today versus 30 years ago. but the civil rights movement has essentially been a periodic renegotiating of the terms of enslavement and there is a limit to how much can be accomplished with such a strategy. not because white people are out there actively "trying to kill you," but because in order to get employed and move up the social ladder through the standard means, black people have to conform to white culture or live a dual reality to some degree: white in the workplace and black in the hood.

honestly i believe it's a lose-lose situation for blacks. conform your view of success to align with those of white people and slowly but surely black culture is replaced by at best a watered down version of the original culture. see the current state of hip-hop music for a taste of that trend. that interview with 50 cent (the one where yayo claims superb wrote SC) is a great example of what i'm talking about. 50 basically dismissed the idea of music having any artistic merit and stated plainly that if an album is a commercial failure than it's just bad music. period. that idea did not come from the original culture; it's based on a view of what white people have defined as a quality cultural product and 50 (along with countless others i'm sure) have been conditioned to believe that's how good music is defined. and generally speaking any black person in a position of power has most likely had to compromise some aspect of their original culture to make it to where they are today. and thus you can expect black culture to become further perverted by the influence of white culture (as in the example of 50) or almost fully compromised (condi rice).

the other option calls for a total rejection of white culture and its values. this cannot be done through compromise and thus would necessitate a radical displacement of old white people from positions of power in the media and government in order to preserve the original black culture and you know what, that's a losing proposition too.

i dunno am i being too pessimistic?

more akbar

Naw. NYOIL and Nas has it right. We don't need the (Hip Hop) industry, the (Hip Hop) industry needs us. That goes for most things in America. Once we realize that and unite then it's a wrap. Unfortunately, the old trick of whipping the biggest baddest Nigger infront of everyone worked too good. The murders of El Hajj, Martin, Fred, Lumumba, etc put most Blacks back in their place. We had something going for a while. When I hear of my elders talking about how everyone, White / Black / whatever, was peace, I dig that. Not to say it was all peace, but it was a united struggle. Du Du Duuu. Then the big bad GOVT came in a squashed it. Divided us with the big bad US economy machine. Stomped out our leaders (El Hajj, Fred, H. Rap, etc) and replaced them with drug dealers. Bought crack into the streets, guns into the streets, fueled gang wars, and pissed on us worse then the Pide Piper of R&B. We were fired up to go and do something, but when it came time to move the tip of our spear had a change of command.

The civil rights movement was a strategy that was to be morphed as the climate morphed. Some of us see that.

Your assessments are accurate in my eyes. I'm just adding a bit on. We (the Black community) need to start almost from scratch in order to get this thang together again. I see a lot of blood shed to really get it right, even though all we need to do is be ourselves. When we become ourselves, we will see that it's hindering us to be like someone else. We can do it but a vast majority of us must make the first decisive move. Marching ain't gonna cut it, talking ain't gonna cut it. The music of the 60's was just the drum cadance to the movements of the people. Without the movement the music was just noise. The drummers (rappers, artists, etc) can set a tone but the foot soilders must be organized, equipped, trained, ready, willing, and able to move on our objective. Until we get those components together we're just mentally masturbating.

"Read everything, listen to everybody, don't trust anything unless you can prove it with your research." - William "Bill" Cooper

Quote Originally Posted by CharlesJones View Post
    when a white man goes to court, the jury look at him different because he's a upstanding citizen because of the color of his skin but when they look at a black man, they say he's a slave slave slave nigga nigga nigga hahahahahahahaha.
    you sound like you feel the same way?

Quote Originally Posted by blackwisdom View Post
    Naw. NYOIL and Nas has it right. We don't need the (Hip Hop) industry, the (Hip Hop) industry needs us. That goes for most things in America. Once we realize that and unite then it's a wrap...

...We can do it but a vast majority of us must make the first decisive move. Marching ain't gonna cut it, talking ain't gonna cut it. The music of the 60's was just the drum cadance to the movements of the people. Without the movement the music was just noise. The drummers (rappers, artists, etc) can set a tone but the foot soilders must be organized, equipped, trained, ready, willing, and able to move on our objective. Until we get those components together we're just mentally masturbating.
    i admire the attitude but it's not that simple. there are many obstacles in uniting a people. perhaps most importantly, there aren't any crises that you can use to rally the people around. slavery, segregation, no suffrage, severe discrimination in the workplace - those are all broadly based, clear cut black and white issues. every black person, and many whites, can recognize these injustices. and the causes of these injustices -- unfair laws, a lack of accountability for unfair hiring practices -- can be changed though the system. so you had a clear problem and a clear solution that could be achieved by working within the system that caused the injustices in the first place.

it's not gonna be as easy to create a movement around today's social injustices. drugs and violence in black ghettos, underfunded social programs, the erosion of black culture, etc. first, because the blame for these problems is not as clear as those in the past. that's why you have a situation like the banner vs. panel story where some place the blame on blacks themselves (kinda correct) and others place the blame on the system (also correct). so what's the rallying cry when people can't agree on what they should be fighting for? and how do you get people to agree when you're dealing with such ambiguous issues?

second, drugs and violence, bureaucratic bullshit, etc aren't problems exclusive to black people. civilizations have always had to deal with these things. they're commonly viewed as inherent societal problems and i don't think the fact that they're worse in black communities is enough to motivate people to change it.

and finally, the erosion of black culture is definitely not something you can fix from within the system. so when you figure out how you can create a successful mass movement that operates outside the system, which to my knowledge has never succeeded on a large scale in america, please let me know.

more akbar

Veteran Member

What Is "black Culture"?

Quote Originally Posted by Black Man View Post
    What Is "black Culture"?
    I'm saying...looking at this thread, black culture is obviously to long to be explained in time.

Go head and demonstrate it.

{>____<}

First, I would like to give a hand for Blackwisdom and Humanface Huggah. Both of you are doing an excellent job of explaining the true issues of today. The both you are truly intelligent. Thank you.

Welcome back, Aqueous Moon. It's been a while since I've seen you.
    Loyalty is Royalty. Strength and Loyalty

-

I think when white people are looking to hire somebody for a job, they look at job experience and they wanna see how a person is gonna dress when they come for the job interview. Ignorant blacks be showing up to job interviews wearing baggy clothes and sneakers and then they wonder why they won't get hired. You don't come to a interview wearing that shit. You're supposed to wear a shirt, dress pants, dress shoes, tie. When you dress up for a job, ignorant blacks think educated blacks that dress like that are uncle toms which is so ignorant to think that way. When you wear dress clothes on a job, those are the jobs that pay real money. You aren't gonna get any real money working at a grocery store, fast food restaurant, retail store. So to the dude who says whites don't wanna hire blacks, i don't think that's true. I shouldn't have said that whites discriminate against blacks for a job because it's against the law to discriminate against a race of people for a job. The people who sell drugs, i would call them dumb because they aren't trying to get a real job because they know they aren't intelligent to get a real job so they would rather take the easy way out and sell drugs to get paid lots of money instead of working for a lot of money. Anybody can stand on the corner and sell drugs. There's no work involved in that.

The reason why it takes so long for employers to call me is because i've had a lot of jobs which doesn't look good on my application because the employers are gonna wanna ask me how come i've had so many jobs. I've had a lot of jobs that pay a low salary because i have a learning disability and this problem affects my brain because it's hard for me to figure things out so i can get a good paying job and keep my job. I think i'm gonna put on my job application from now on that i have a learning disability so employers will understand why i've had so many jobs. Yesterday i talked to my boss at my job about not moving up to a better paying job position as a maintenance technician at a apartment building because i told him i can't handle that type of work and he said that's fine. I had a pay raise recently and on my evaluation, it said that the company would like to see me move up to a better paying position.

I would like to move up to a better paying position but i'm scared because of the way my brain works. My brain works very slow when i try to figure things out so that's why i'm scared to learn more job skills that pay more money and this is affecting me very much because i can't get my own place and i can't get a better car. It takes a lot of money to afford these things and my brain is preventing me from getting a good paying job so i can acquire these things and it's very frustrating. That's why i think about suicide so much because i wanna die so bad because i'm tired of my life and i think about being homeless because if i wasn't living with my parents, i would be homeless and being homeless scares me. Being homeless would definitely make me wanna kill myself.

I'm sorry i got off topic ya'll about what David Banner had to say about these phony black politicans and black leaders.

Quote Originally Posted by Humanface Huggah View Post
    i admire the attitude but it's not that simple. there are many obstacles in uniting a people. perhaps most importantly, there aren't any crises that you can use to rally the people around. slavery, segregation, no suffrage, severe discrimination in the workplace - those are all broadly based, clear cut black and white issues. every black person, and many whites, can recognize these injustices. and the causes of these injustices -- unfair laws, a lack of accountability for unfair hiring practices -- can be changed though the system. so you had a clear problem and a clear solution that could be achieved by working within the system that caused the injustices in the first place.

it's not gonna be as easy to create a movement around today's social injustices. drugs and violence in black ghettos, underfunded social programs, the erosion of black culture, etc. first, because the blame for these problems is not as clear as those in the past. that's why you have a situation like the banner vs. panel story where some place the blame on blacks themselves (kinda correct) and others place the blame on the system (also correct). so what's the rallying cry when people can't agree on what they should be fighting for? and how do you get people to agree when you're dealing with such ambiguous issues?

second, drugs and violence, bureaucratic bullshit, etc aren't problems exclusive to black people. civilizations have always had to deal with these things. they're commonly viewed as inherent societal problems and i don't think the fact that they're worse in black communities is enough to motivate people to change it.

and finally, the erosion of black culture is definitely not something you can fix from within the system. so when you figure out how you can create a successful mass movement that operates outside the system, which to my knowledge has never succeeded on a large scale in america, please let me know.
    Believe me I'm not trying to be condescending but you're speaking to the choir. Not to tell my business but I've sat at a couple round tables that were organized in order to deal with the very issues that you discussed here. I feel you. Believe me your comments are nothing new to me but they are things that many people don't realize have to be dealt with. Even though the mountain seems to be steep and insurmountable, if the summit is a place that we will to be we will be there. I won't go any more indebt cause this is a very open and insecure forum.

Quote Originally Posted by Black Man
    What Is "black Culture"?
    The culture of those who classify themselves Black.

Realize that "Black" people inhabit the entire planet. I can't say that we need to act Afrikan, Brazilian, Indian, like Eskamos, etc. I'm saying that we need to express our innate natural beauty as unencumbered (spelling? ) by imperialism and colonialization as possible.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ironman}[FONT=Verdana
    First, I would like to give a hand for Blackwisdom and Humanface Huggah. Both of you are doing an excellent job of explaining the true issues of today. The both you are truly intelligent. Thank you.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ironman}

[font=Verdana
    Welcome back, Aqueous Moon. It's been a while since I've seen you.
    Thanks. I realize that my words reveal my lack of knowledge. I'm not intelligent, I just study. As I study (my spirit) I realize how ignorant that I trully am.

I understand your comment and trully appreciate it. Just wanted to share my internal insight of it.

Peace

thanks ironman. you know people fight and bicker but i think forums like this can be a good place to test ideas and gain insight from others.

black man, i used 'black culture' as a shorthand for pretty much any of the behavior patterns, arts, beliefs, institutions, etc that were valued by native peoples prior to the imperialist conquests of the europeans. while there exists a huge diversity in the range of the cultures that may fall into this category, you can simply take it to mean any culture that is unlike the dominant christian/capitalist white culture and i still get the point across. white people can choose what they absorb from black culture -- music, fashion, style of dance, etc -- or nothing at all while black people simply do not have those same choices because if they want to "succeed" in that oprah winfrey sense then they must learn a certain way, speak a certain way, dress a certain way, act a certain way and none of those certain ways came from the culture they grew up with...

edit: damn black wisdom already said it for me
    Last edited by Huggasaurus Sex; 08-17-2007 at 07:20 PM.

more akbar

Quote Originally Posted by Humanface Huggah View Post
    thanks ironman. you know people fight and bicker but i think forums like this can be a good place to test ideas and gain insight from others.

black man, i used 'black culture' as a shorthand for pretty much any of the behavior patterns, arts, beliefs, institutions, etc that were valued by native peoples prior to the imperialist conquests of the europeans. while there exists a huge diversity in the range of the cultures that may fall into this category, you can simply take it to mean any culture that is unlike the dominant christian/capitalist white culture and i still get the point across. white people can choose what they absorb from black culture -- music, fashion, style of dance, etc -- or nothing at all while black people simply do not have those same choices because if they want to "succeed" in that oprah winfrey sense then they must learn a certain way, speak a certain way, dress a certain way, act a certain way and none of those certain ways came from the culture they grew up with...

edit: damn black wisdom already said it for me
    Actually you said what I was thinking but you verbalized it better than I was thinking it.

I talked to some of my co-workers today and they were caught up in the thought that I may grow some locks or get my hair braided. Some of them said, "Hell naw he ain't!!" Some of them were being sarcastic and played the political role of saying that I'm in my rights to do what I want with my hair. It's crazy, but it's the military and I understand military culture. Just me growing my hair and locking it up is a huge thing to some. That's moreso a military cultural norm being violated, but ultimately it's the Eurocentric culture norm that's being violated. Taming my naps is part of the overall etiquette of the culture.

Most people hold off being natural to elevate in corporate America. Even though this isn't the rule, it's not often violated for fear of some sort of retribution.

We do have to assimulate when we're asking someone else to place food on our table. I want to start growing my hair after the winter solstice but I may not due to my economic situation (my ability to take care of my family at this time).

Do I agree with everything he said? Not necessarily...but I agree with some of it, and most importantly, I love the fact that an MC is so opinionated about A) Someone other than "The Man," B) leadership who many are afraid to criticize, and C) about anything period, and is able to articulate it not just in a song, but in a written article. It's even crazier because David Banner is a mainstream, radio-embraced artist, not an obscure indie MC whose opinion wouldn't matter to people. Dude has a sense of responsibility, and I respect it tremendously.