Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Ghostface Killahs First Listen

Veteran Member

Quote Originally Posted by RADIOACTIVE MAN View Post
    After reading this debate, the album is sitting here untouched. im on the fence about playing it, really had high hopes.

NAH FUCK YALL.
    THIS SHITS GONNA GET SPINS TONIGHT
    I've been sitting on it as well.

Quote Originally Posted by TSA View Post
    man, I'm listening to Pretty Toney right now trying to figure out what some of you guys are talking about

dude said, 'WATCH HOW YOU POP YOUR GUM' smh.
    I think it's a more focused project that BPW and Fishscale, but if someone says FS is better I understand.
    I honestly don't think I ever listened to PT a second time. I just remember thinking it was trash my first listen. I'll revisit

Art is so subjective so everyone will have dif opinions...

Just listened to "Ghostface Killahs" twice via youtube while doing some chores yesterday so more study needed. However, from initial spins am feeling it. As stated by others, GFK seems rejuvenated w his flow and writing w wit. To my ear, seems like his rap battery got resparked from the Czarface collabo... looking forward to buying CD and listening properly!

Re "Pretty Toney". It is by no means his BEST album but based on personal history its prolly my FAV GFK solo. Just wanted to throw in my "50 cents [but not] go to war w Many Men" to paraphrase the Deck line on his feature lol.

W attention from "Of Mics and Men", "Wu Tang: An American Saga", "Chamber No. 9" and "Ghostface Killahs" seems like potential for solid wu resurgence. Hope they can cap it off w a proper Clan album as an exclamation point! PEACE

-Diamond in the Rough- 3rdEyeVizion's Avatar

I’ma give it a 3,75 rating. Ghost is on point, beats are hit or miss. Seems Deck got the best ones from this Danny dude..

Me, Denny & Darryl = Wu-Banga!
    Flex = Feeling this soulfull shit
    Conditioning = Hardbody.. Ghost murders this! A-Game
    Fly Everything = Great intensity on this one.. Sun God brought the heat!
    New World = Funky as fuck.. Eamon sounds cool IMO. Love it!
    Soundsop = Different reggaeton type beat, but I fux with it.

Not really feeling rest of them tracks. None of them are wack tho.

Peace

PRODIGAL SUN

Quote Originally Posted by ShaDynasty View Post
    ^ Yeah BPW was a missed opportunity. A big let down after SC, but really just a misstep. After this he had Pretty Toney and Fishscale which were fire albums.

RZA's attempt at replaying the sample on this one is so trash.
    My man i think you need to revisit that album today

I remember when it came out i wasnt a huge fan either. Especially the retail version.

But the legit version?

TOP 10

THE SUN
    THE FOREST
    THE WATCH
    THE HILTON
    THE JUKS... (very titles creative ghost)
    THEODORE
    FLOWERS
    WALKING THROUGH THE DARKNESS
    STREET CHEMISTRY
    MAXINE

Says a lot when u eave off the lead single and good times from a top 10. FIRE production by Rza math and alchemist. Imo this album is track for track his best album which says a lot but the concepts are way better than anything he did before or since.

Fishscale gets the props BPW SHOULD get. And i know thats because its produced mostly by doom and dilla ao the hipsters gave it the rub. But those doom esque beats were on bpw first and as much as i like fishscale, it does not stack up, even with the incredible tracks it does have ie. ragu and strap.

Seriously. Album needs a relisten for the production alone. So clean and def ahead of its time.

This album got like 5 joints i fuck with. With that said those joints are best ghost has sounded since wizard of poetry/cuban linx 2 era.

Between 36 seasons, sour soul, lost tapes and this, could prolly form one super solid album but then again i never gave those projects a true listen cuz i knew they werent real “albums” per say.

My top ghost albums

SC (for impact alone)
    BPW
    IRONMAN
    FISHSCALE
    PRETTY TONY
    WIZARD OF POETRY
    12 REASONS

everything else is half and half imo. They def throwaway albums with only 1-5 cuts on them each and a buncha ehhh. But those 6 above are qll 4-5 micers imo.

This album rn im feeling

Me denny and daryl
    Conditioning
    Pistol smoke

And my fav one is party over here which is throwing me off cuz incoulda swore i hated it in video.

With all that said. This album feels like his realest one since 12 reasons.
    Last edited by ForensikZ; 09-17-2019 at 12:31 PM.

Obviously I meant the retail version. The final LP coulda woulda shoulda been good.

The good tracks were:

Maxine
    Strawberry
    The Forest
    The Hilton
    Street Chemistry

The rest is basura. I mean WTF is this? A lot of the beats and hooks are pathetic:

Mathematics did a great remix of Strawberry with Deck & RZA added on. Lol I just added the official video only to find that Mathematics had been forced to pull a Flowers style remake with his Strawberry remix:

These fucking sample remakes... lol. They need to hire Chucky Thompson or somebody else who actually knows how to pull these replayed samples off.

PRODIGAL SUN

Obviously I meant the retail version. The final LP coulda woulda shoulda been good.

The good tracks were:

Maxine
    Strawberry
    The Forest
    The Hilton
    Street Chemistry

The rest is basura. I mean WTF is this? A lot of the beats and hooks are pathetic:

Mathematics did a great remix of Strawberry with Deck & RZA added on. Lol I just added the official video only to find that Mathematics had been forced to pull a Flowers style remake with his Strawberry remix:

These fucking sample remakes... lol. They need to hire Chucky Thompson or somebody else who actually knows how to pull these replayed samples off.
    Basura?

ghostshowers is definition of basura. Tush on ptone was basura. Them other tracks tho....

Theodore beat is dumb classic. U wilding. BPW is such a rich fun album.

With that said the retail dont even exist to me. Something indo with all wu albums with a ton of cut songs ie. CL2
    Last edited by ForensikZ; 09-17-2019 at 12:36 PM.

First listen 3.5/5 This album is somewhere between BDR and Apollo Kids. Apollo Kids being the best of the three

As far as Pretty Toney and BPW, they're both equally dope albums in my opinion but both fall behind Fishscale.

Don't sleep on 36 seasons and More Fish

You might have seen this already as its a year old, but I just stumbled across one of the best GFK interviews I've seen.

https://youtu.be/jOad6DNuFzs

You might have seen this already as its a year old, but I just stumbled across one of the best GFK interviews I've seen.

https://youtu.be/jOad6DNuFzs

You might have seen this already as its a year old, but I just stumbled across one of the best GFK (Dennis Coles) interviews I've seen.

The good tracks were:

Maxine
    Strawberry
    The Forest
    The Hilton
    Street Chemistry

Bruh that Theodore shit goes bat shit. Idk what you're talking about. Maybe I read your post wrong

nada ignorante

Quote Originally Posted by Don Universo View Post
    First listen 3.5/5 This album is somewhere between BDR and Apollo Kids. Apollo Kids being the best of the three

As far as Pretty Toney and BPW, they're both equally dope albums in my opinion but both fall behind Fishscale.

Don't sleep on 36 seasons and More Fish

we think alike, Fishscale is my third favorite Ghost album. You already know the first two lol.
    N.I.

crappadonna

Anyone think me,Denny, and Darryl was a meth track with ghost and Cappa added? The title and meths verse doesn’t match the others seems pasted

Old School

Quote Originally Posted by human torch View Post
    Anyone think me,Denny, and Darryl was a meth track with ghost and Cappa added? The title and meths verse doesn’t match the others seems pasted
    I had suggested earlier in the thread that this may have originally been a Meth song because he is the ME in "Me, Denny and Darryl," but I have to assume all 3 were always meant to be on the track together. The title comes from Meth's lyric were he literally says, "Me, Denny and Darryl."