Page 25 of 35 FirstFirst ... 1516171819202122232425262728293031323334 ... LastLast

Thread: [Album Stream] WU-TANG CLAN "A BETTER TOMORROW"

Veteran Member

Quote Originally Posted by CEITEDMOFO View Post
    Liking this album more in my whip, not as soft as 8d
    Cosign. This album has a harder sound to it than 8D.

Quote Originally Posted by Jin10304 View Post
    I noticed that the kung fu skit from HGW leading to Wolves is reused again at the end of Preachers Daughter
    Quote Originally Posted by 5th state View Post
    I consider it the dumb fun song on the album. Gives off an ODB vibe. To each their own.

The original song is a smooth classic obv no doubt about it. I don't get the impression the Wu's interpretation is about trying to be at the same level. It's a different type of song.
    Exactly, I got what they were doing with that track. It definitely felt like something ODB could've been on. Idk why it reminded me of a mesh of Child's Play and Old Man, just something fun and funky, not to be taken too seriously.
    STAY TUNED.

Corny Nuh! Capitalizing Cilvaringz's Avatar

I can understand if people were thrown back by the Disney-esque vocals on Miracle, but it doesn't kill the entire fucking song. I personally love it, I have no problem with Disney, Pocha muthafucking Hontas had some bad ass songs, can't front. And that's not Nathaniel, it's a guy called Will who works a lot with RZA. It's well sung and the lyrics is tight. It's minor key, it's dark, it's 4th Disciple shit. Like someone said before, if Blue Raspberry sung the shit we'd be all over it. Me personally, I would've called Blue and Tekitha as well, I love their shit, but I'm sure RZA had his reasons. On OATIS we used Blue, Tekitha and one other vocalist. But i honestly don't get the hate.

You can't convince me that Wu-Tang Clan has ever made a wack album. The problem is, they have done so much incredible shit that a dope album, or even an averagely dope album is labeled a failure. You either produce greatness or it's a fail. It's like Jordan scoring 20 points instead of 50. It's still better than most players, but because it's Jordan it's considered a bad game.

That's the gift and curse of Wu-Tang I think. You can't tell me 8D was wack, nor Iron Flag and definitely not The W. The problem is that expectations are so high when it comes to the Clan, that 90% of the time you're going to have to deal with disappointments, and then months later the albums start growing on people and start making more sense. Not everybody, but a significant amount of nay sayers.

Trust me, I'm one of yall Wu-Tang die hards, as I have always been. But the thing I'm starting to see reading everybody's opinions and reviews, is not that it's bad album at all, it's that maybe it was the wrong album to drop at this time, and that its different approach is not easily accepted because of the negativity that surrounded the making of the album. If this was a live type of album Wu-Tang had made in between while working on a sample based album, nobody would've been mad. Matter of fact, everybody would've been jumping on the positive aspects of this album and not so much on the negative. But because that wasn't the case, because it could likely be the very last Clan album, because it sounds different (certain songs), because it was flaunted by negative press and stories, it became something you looked at differently. But in all reality, the album is great and far greater than a whole bunch of shit released this year.
    Last edited by Cilvaringz; 12-03-2014 at 06:30 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by JZA/Jordon View Post
    Forever was a bad example, I mean RZA could have easily perfected the album as a 1 Disk record.

But to me The W is a better example, a few great songs but the rest are duds.

ABT I can enjoy from track 1-15
    Wu-Tang Forever is perfect as is.
    STAY TUNED.

Veteran Member

https://twitter.com/RZA/status/540290958206586880

From RZA's Twitter:

When I first made albums they were so aggressive & vulgar that my now ex wife wouldn't play it in the house. This made me rethink my energy

Veteran Member

Miracle is definitely a good track. I like the singing on it and never had a problem with it. In fact it adds to the song in my opinion. The whole joint itself is on some visual storytelling ish and I think it was pulled off well. Ghost's verse is like the conclusion/ending of it.

Same with Mistaken Identity. I like the intro and it's a very well produced/put together track. It feels complete and you gotta remember that tracks from the Wu's earlier days also had the instrumental continuing for a while after the actual verses were done.

In my opinion this was the kind of album RZA was trying to make with 8D but on here he managed to improve upon that formula. In fact overall this is a harder album than 8D and I personally like the fact that there are multiple concept tracks on here.

Well said Ringz, I personally was seeking an album produced in this manor. why? Because I am always reminded of being a punk in Jr. High school and now I have a great career, home and family. A Better Tomorrow personified. The Clan has grown and specifically the mother fucking Abbot who is the heart and soul of something that is a part of me. I appreciate the direction RZA has taken and am loving the result. It's a soulful record of many different emotions.

I know how I FELT the first time hearing this record, taking an amtrak from Penn Station to DC watching the sun rise over Manhattan and Staten Island at 6am this past Saturday.

PEACE

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Cilvaringz View Post
    I can understand if people were thrown back by the Disney-esque vocals on Miracle, but it doesn't kill the entire fucking song. I personally love it, I have no problem with Disney, Pocha muthafucking Hontas had some bad ass songs, can't front. And that's not Nathaniel, it's a guy called Will who works a lot with RZA. It's well sung and the lyrics is tight. It's minor key, it's dark, it's 4th Disciple shit. Like someone said before, if Blue Raspberry sung the shit we'd be all over it. Me personally, I would've called Blue and Tekitha as well, I love their shit, but I'm sure RZA had his reasons. On OATIS we used Blue, Tekitha and one other vocalist. But i honestly don't get the hate.

You can't convince me that Wu-Tang Clan has ever made a wack album. The problem is, they have done so much incredible shit that a dope album, or even an averagely dope album is labeled a failure. You either produce greatness or it's a fail. It's like Jordan scoring 20 points instead of 50. It's still better than most players, but because it's Jordan it's considered a bad game.

That's the gift and curse of Wu-Tang I think. You can't tell me 8D was wack, nor Iron Flag and definitely not The W. The problem is that expectations are so high when it comes to the Clan, that 90% of the time you're going to have to deal with disappointments, and then months later the albums start growing on people and start making more sense. Not everybody, but a significant amount of nay sayers.

Trust me, I'm one of yall Wu-Tang die hards, as I have always been. But the thing I'm starting to see reading everybody's opinions and reviews, is not that it's bad album at all, it's that maybe it was the wrong album to drop at this time, and that its different approach is not easily accepted because of the negativity that surrounded the making of the album. If this was a live type of album Wu-Tang had made in between while working on a sample based album, nobody would've been mad. Matter of fact, everybody would've been jumping on the positive aspects of this album and not so much on the negative. But because that wasn't the case, because it could likely be the very last Clan album, because it sounds different (certain songs), because it was flaunted by negative press and stories, it became something you looked at differently. But in all reality, the album is great and far greater than a whole bunch of shit released this year.
    I agree with this.

I had no expectations for the LP and I honestly enjoyed it. I don't like some of the hooks but I honestly like most of the beats. It's nowhere near AOTY or better than other dope releases this year though but I'm cool with that

If this was say another Wu-Tang album I think people would like it more. I guess that part of the fan base is too stuck on recreating a 1993 sound in 2014 but personally I like RZA's beats these days, there's a lot of subtle stuff happening in songs you pick up on after a few listens.

This time next year throw up a poll and see the difference in opinion between now and then, I reckon it'll be a bit more definitive than either hate or love
    Posts by The Hound are signed TH.

Quoting ≠ Agreement.

courage under fire War and Peace's Avatar
    walking through the valley of the shadow of death

GZA said, "Galactic matter served on a graphic platter."

Holy Saint Dominic!

GOLDEN ARMS REDEMPTION

'Forked tongue make painful kisses...........and fam, when you talk, then the angels listen.'

Quote Originally Posted by fortyglock View Post
    Miracle is definitely a good track. I like the singing on it and never had a problem with it. In fact it adds to the song in my opinion. The whole joint itself is on some visual storytelling ish and I think it was pulled off well. Ghost's verse is like the conclusion/ending of it.
    Love the beat and lyrics on this track, the singing doesn't bother me much, but it should've been Tekitha of course. The part I hate is when the beat changes to some electronic rock on Ghost part...because he had a sick verse and I loved the beat.
    STAY TUNED.

FRESH FISH

Quote Originally Posted by Cilvaringz View Post

I agree with most of this, good points. I love Miracle and think the singing actually fits and the lyrics are good but knew a lot of people would just hate on it. It's a great song.

What makes the fact that the last few albums were even good at all amazing(i think the only problem is that they each have a song or two that makes you scratch your head) is that they can't seem to do anything without acting like asses and fighting. If they could ever get together and work somewhat harmoniously it could be really great. As it is, they come out with reasonably good albums out of disasters haha.

Quote Originally Posted by CEITEDMOFO View Post
    THAN IT GOES INTO THE COUNTRY SONG

BESIDES THAT RZA TRIED HIS BEST TO MAKE A THUG ALBUM
    HE HAD QUENTIN TARINTO IN THE STUDIO WHEN HE DID THE PREACHERS DAUGHTER SONG

the original Preacher's Daughter song was in Pulp Fiction, Quentin probably gave him the idea to flip it. I like how Cypress Hill did it on Hits from The Bong

crappadonna

Quote Originally Posted by War and Peace View Post
    GZA said, "Galactic matter served on a graphic platter."

Holy Saint Dominic!
    Gza uses tons of outer space rhymes, I doubt dark matter will ever come out. Considering he used the rhymes on ABT

What the Wu should have done (and possibly still could do) is announced two albums. The first, A Better Tomorrow, following RZA's vision followed by a second sample based album with more Clan input on musical direction. Then if RZA wasn't able to bring the right type of music then draft in more 4th Disciple, etc.

Ghost mentioned something along those lines in a recent interview, he said he was looking forward to the next album after ABT, sample based shit where they can go all in. I don't know if he was meaning OUATIS or a new joint but it sounded like there was more to come.

I've been listening to the album in the car and I still can't make my mind up on it. For me the album is split in to three catagories... Dope tracks, Dope tracks ruined by hooks or distracting sounds effects, and flat out corny tracks. Felt, Mistaken Identity, Heater, Crushed Egos, Necklace and Never Let Go are dope as fuck!!! 40th Street Black is strange but Meth and U-God flow their asses off on it!! Miracle is dope other than the ending transition bit. Keep Watch, Preacher's Daughter, Ron O'Neal, A Better Tomorrow and Reunion are just meh to me. Pioneer The Frontier would have been ill if there weren't so many layers of different effects distracting from the MC's verses.

In one of the threads about Ghosts 36 Seasons, one of the Revelations said this...

"The challenge production-wise was to create an undeniably banging hip hop album that stayed true to the sound and feel of sample based, drum machine created classic hip hop, without the listener ever being aware of or distracted by the fact that all of this music was created by real musicians, playing real instruments."

This is my main problem with ABT... I'm very aware that it's not sample based. The beats, instruments, effects on a lot of the tracks are very distracting and make it difficult to listen to.

The one thing I'm happy about is that this has reestablished 4th Disciple's working relationship with the Clan. That can only be a good thing and I hope to see his beats featured on more of the generals solo joints.

Peace!