View Poll Results: Which was the worst decade, musically?

Voters
52. You may not vote on this poll
  • 50's

8 15.38%
  • 60's

0 0%
  • 70's

2 3.85%
  • 80's

15 28.85%
  • 90's

3 5.77%
  • 00's

24 46.15%
Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: Worst Decade For Music?

The 2000s gets too much flack. Sure, the mainstream scene might suck but there are TONS of great artists in the underground.

Banned

Underground music is always good, regardless of what era it came from.

50s

SkamPoe at instagram @kinghippoe
    FOLLOW!!

The Thrill of It All spammy sosa's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by JASPER View Post
    80's was great because of analogue synths and other technology. Granted, a lot of good bands from the 60's 70's made their worst records in the 80's when they went synth. 90's sucks cause it was dominated with shitty grunge, metal, euro dance / house and of course boy/girl bands like Backstreet Boys and Spice Girls. Yeah, some good hip hop came from the 90's, but good hip hop from the 90's is mostly sample based on music from the 70's. So can't really count that. Also, the music quality was pretty bad in the 90's because of digitalisation.
    90's grunge like nirvana, mudhoney, and love battery were good

90's corporate grunge bands like soundgarden, stone temple pilots, and alice in chains sucked

also 90's had good post-hardcore bands like shellac, unwound, and drive like jehu

btw 60's psychedelic > 70's punk > 80's alternative > 90's grunge

70's was the best overall decade though

Quote Originally Posted by infinite vagina View Post
    90's grunge like nirvana, mudhoney, and love battery were good

90's corporate grunge bands like soundgarden, stone temple pilots, and alice in chains sucked

also 90's had good post-hardcore bands like shellac, unwound, and drive like jehu

btw 60's psychedelic > 70's punk > 80's alternative > 90's grunge

70's was the best overall decade though
    Yeah definitely 70's.

Quote Originally Posted by Sosa View Post
    Isn't most music based on older music? Not just 90s hip hop.
    All music is based on older music. Even Beethoven is based on older music.
    "I hate them and I wish death among them!" - Mahatma Gandhi

Yeah definitely 70's.

All music is based on older music. Even Beethoven is based on older music.
    So why dismiss 90s hip hop?

So why dismiss 90s hip hop?
    Because sampling isn't the same as 'based on'. Looping 8 bars of a 70's soul b side and slapping some, also sampled, drums on them isn't based on.

hip hop was influenced by disco, the shittiest genre of all time

but a good thing about hip hop is that it killed disco

also hippies made better music about drugs than rappers

every hip hop song about drugs sounds the same

there's variety in psychedelic music made by hippies

Because sampling isn't the same as 'based on'. Looping 8 bars of a 70's soul b side and slapping some, also sampled, drums on them isn't based on.
    Yes it is. The production isn't the same, vocal styles, lyrics etc but a song might contain a few seconds of an old record.

How can new music be old music? The technique is different but its the same 'stealing' that always happens in art.

Also whats wrong with disco infinite?

Yes it is. The production isn't the same, vocal styles, lyrics etc but a song might contain a few seconds of an old record.

How can new music be old music? The technique is different but its the same 'stealing' that always happens in art.

Also whats wrong with disco infinite?
    all disco songs sound the same just like hip hop

nonetheless i like cristina

I used to think the 80s were crap. As far as Soul music goes for the biggest part I would agree. Like someone already said the synths were great in the 80s. In fact I think some of the best synth sounds came from the 80s. Most of the discofunk 80s records sound boring to me. 80s provided some amazing music, but the big artists at that time released some of their worst work in the 80s. I think that's the reason why so many criticize the 80s.

You can't really say what the worst decade is for music. It all comes down to opinion. As long as there is people doing music, music will never die. For instance late 80s and the 90s was horrible for people who listened to r&b before these years. Hiphop was great in the 90s and there is people criticizing it after 2000. But the alternative rockscene is in full affect and there is still good records out there. In the 70s people were complaining that the instruments played a bigger part than in the 50s and 60s. Even though the music was way more advanced. Some of my favorite soul records were released in the 70s (not taking anything away from the 60s, cause some of my favorite soul records are also from the 60s). Music is evolving, it does not stand still and I guess people just don't like changes.

My conclusion: people will complain every decade about what was so great about the previous one. You can't really say there is a worst decade in music. Music is forever.

Imagine Mona Lisa, the painting, being sprayed over with graffiti.
    Now imagine someone painting something that looks kind of like the Mona Lisa.
    It's not the same. When you're listening to a 90's hip hop song, you're still listening to that that 70's soul song, or rather part of that song.

There is a difference.

Imagine Mona Lisa, the painting, being sprayed over with graffiti.
    Now imagine someone painting something that looks kind of like the Mona Lisa.
    It's not the same. When you're listening to a 90's hip hop song, you're still listening to that that 70's soul song, or rather part of that song.

There is a difference.
    Yeah its a different technique. I understand you look down on sampling, and maybe you have a point about if we're talking about a puffy production. But most producers (certainly the ones i like) didn't do straight loops and had a lot of creative merit. Look at RZA, Pete Rock, Dr Dre, Bomb Squad, Dilla etc. Its not like they're stuck in the past, they used it as a jumping off point.

Anyway i enjoyed a lot of the 90s songs better than the songs they sampled, so why should i be concerned with giving credit to artists from the 70s?

Besides lol, by definition music made in the 90s was made in the 90s. Maybe Led Zeppelin records should be acknowledged as music from the 40s?

Yeah its a different technique. I understand you look down on sampling, and maybe you have a point about if we're talking about a puffy production. But most producers (certainly the ones i like) didn't do straight loops and had a lot of creative merit. Look at RZA, Pete Rock, Dr Dre, Bomb Squad, Dilla etc. Its not like they're stuck in the past, they used it as a jumping off point.

Anyway i enjoyed a lot of the 90s songs better than the songs they sampled, so why should i be concerned with giving credit to artists from the 70s?

Besides lol, by definition music made in the 90s was made in the 90s. Maybe Led Zeppelin records should be acknowledged as music from the 40s?
    Co-sign everything in this post. I can not understand why you would look at hiphop like that. Even looping requires a lot of technique at times. There are so many tracks where I absolutely hate the sample, even the part that has been sampled but when it was flipped it sounded so much better. Ofcourse respect goes out to the samplers, but don't act like making a beat is not a creative process.