Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Ghostface Killahs First Listen

I've listened to the album a few times now, it's one of Ghost's weaker albums.

The main problem is the production, most of it sounds cheap and corny. On Burner To Burner you have Wu rapping over fuzzy metal guitars, Soursop has Ghost and MK sounding out of place over bloodclot Jamaican riddims, New World is a really played out sample and not even flipped in a new way, plus Ghost is trying to spit conscious shit (lol) on it inbetween tracks about shooting people in the head. I can't believe they tried to make another sequel to Ice Cream, Ghost should have learned from Rae's attempt that it's not a good idea. The producer responsible did a better job with Decks album.

There's nothing amazing on the album but there are some solid tracks here. Me, Denny & Darryl, Conditioning, & Pistol Smoke are good tracks. The Chase with Sun God is actually dope, its like a sequel to Run and it's the highlight for me.

Ghostface's raps are on point throughout, so its a shame he didn't invest some money in better production, either Alchemist, Pete Rock etc or 4th, True Master and the other Wu producers. If this is how Ghost makes albums these days, I'd rather have RZA take back the reins on the alleged upcoming Clan LP and produce whatever trippy freakouts he's into these days.

Quote Originally Posted by SL33 View Post
    Fucking hard body,

Wu-Veteran

1st off...everybody's review is going to be different for the most part. 2nd..this is first listen. 3rd..alot of you dudes are hilarious. You couldnt make a dope albumin 25 years let alone drop as many Classics as the wu has. Ghost and Mk sounding out of place? Nah you out of place and out of rank. Corny production? Yall are too much. Enjoy the new music. Ghost is flowing on point..the beats are listenable..bangin...too many critics without medals

Quote Originally Posted by JEM View Post
    You couldnt make a dope albumin 25 years let alone drop as many Classics as the wu has... too many critics without medals
    What does this have to do with anything lol. I still have ears.

nada ignorante

This album will definitely grow on you.

Heres are the dopest tracks imo:

Me Danny & Derryl
    Burner to burner
    Flex
    Conditioning
    The Chase
    Soursop

The rest are just average or boring (Pistol Smoke)...
    Last edited by hotnikks; 09-07-2019 at 04:32 PM.
    N.I.

Wu-Veteran

Just cuz stuff doesnt make sense to you ("ghost trying to spit concious shit in between shooting ppl in the head") dont mean it wont make sense to others. You can laugh at that if you want. Sometimes devils gotta get got. Someone rapes or murders a member of your family you gonna want to pop them...on the other side if everyone was concious then that wouldnt have happened in the first place. That shouldn't have to be explained to you if you feel so strongly about critiquing hip hop with your "golden ears".

Wu-Veteran

This album isnt made with Supreme Clientele in mind..this is
    nEw GhOsTfACe!!
    Those 9's and 10' out of 10
    Are based on a fresh 1st time listen.

Does it flow?..YES. flawless flows.
    Lines? Fishscale.
    Beats raw? Yes.
    Beats commercially viable? YES.

a perfect balance.

I love Alchemist beats. Just original dusty Roc Marciano/Willie The Kid shit...but you gotta understand...this us Ghostface Killah..he in a different bracket. They gonna put ghosts catalog next to Nas, Jay Z, Jadakiss..the greats. He has to drop balanced material for a project like this...and he succeeded.

Quote Originally Posted by JEM View Post
    Just cuz stuff doesnt make sense to you ("ghost trying to spit concious shit in between shooting ppl in the head") dont mean it wont make sense to others. You can laugh at that if you want. Sometimes devils gotta get got. Someone rapes or murders a member of your family you gonna want to pop them...on the other side if everyone was concious then that wouldnt have happened in the first place. That shouldn't have to be explained to you if you feel so strongly about critiquing hip hop with your "golden ears".
    Come on, social commentary is not one of Ghost's strengths. It looks silly for him to be concerned about the state of the world on one song and shooting people on the next.

Are you really supporting vigilante justice? In any case Ghostface is basically talking about killing his rivals in the street, not vigilante justice so whatever. He's also 50 years old and hasn't been in the streets like that for years.

I'm a big Ghostface fan, but I prefer a lot of his other work from the last 10 years over this.

Shaolin Master

To be honest, boring as fuck!! I’m a big Ghost fan always will be. Don’t check the boards that much anymore but this sounds like Big Doe Rehab 2, cheap shitty production, small bit cohesive but lacks replay value. Ghost has wasted years with cheap production and diluted his discography with subpar releases. This is another example! Would love to see him reach out to decent producers but it won’t happen.

Wu-Veteran

Quote Originally Posted by ShaDynasty View Post
    Come on, social commentary is not one of Ghost's strengths. It looks silly for him to be concerned about the state of the world on one song and shooting people on the next.

Are you really supporting vigilante justice? In any case Ghostface is basically talking about killing his rivals in the street, not vigilante justice so whatever. He's also 50 years old and hasn't been in the streets like that for years.

I'm a big Ghostface fan, but I prefer a lot of his other work from the last 10 years over this.
    Since when do any of these rappers live out the shit they say in their rhymes. Mostly this is art entertainment. Ghost is from the streets tho. You make no sense. The environment he came up in was gun violence..the person he is/tries to be..peaceful...teaching the truth..

Supporting vigalante justice? Because of music? You obviously havent been through shit if that's how you think. The most pressure situation you probably ever felt was the glasses tips behind your ears.

Shaolin Master

lmao @Jem

PRODIGAL SUN

Good review, thanks.... Cant wait to get my copy

Veteran Member

I mean it's a step in the right direction but he can do better.

EXTREME WEIRDO

Quote Originally Posted by ShaDynasty View Post
    I've listened to the album a few times now, it's one of Ghost's weaker albums.

The main problem is the production, most of it sounds cheap and corny. On Burner To Burner you have Wu rapping over fuzzy metal guitars, Soursop has Ghost and MK sounding out of place over bloodclot Jamaican riddims, New World is a really played out sample and not even flipped in a new way, plus Ghost is trying to spit conscious shit (lol) on it inbetween tracks about shooting people in the head. I can't believe they tried to make another sequel to Ice Cream, Ghost should have learned from Rae's attempt that it's not a good idea. The producer responsible did a better job with Decks album.

There's nothing amazing on the album but there are some solid tracks here. Me, Denny & Darryl, Conditioning, & Pistol Smoke are good tracks. The Chase with Sun God is actually dope, its like a sequel to Run and it's the highlight for me.

Ghostface's raps are on point throughout, so its a shame he didn't invest some money in better production, either Alchemist, Pete Rock etc or 4th, True Master and the other Wu producers. If this is how Ghost makes albums these days, I'd rather have RZA take back the reins on the alleged upcoming Clan LP and produce whatever trippy freakouts he's into these days.

Thing is they don't want to pay for top name producers when they can get these weed carriers to handle it. Ghost has handed his management of his albums
    to people like M-Eighty and Remedy to business these projects now he doesn't have Def Jam money behind him. They just get little known up and coming producers to handle all the beats, pay them fuck all and then market the hell out of the product with "packages" and signed bullshit etc etc. Its just product not art for them and it guarantees everyone except the producers more cash but the producers aint complaining they get to live out there dreams and say they produced a Ghostface album. They probably paying Remedy to let them do the beats.
    The Lost Tapes was the same, they even put remix albums out there now. At least on this album Ghost is flowing better and his voice is getting back to that higher pitch old Ghostface sound and the beats aren't all that bad, some even pretty good.