• Average

2 1.00%
  • Mediocre

3 1.49%
  • Wack

1 0.50%
Page 5 of 17 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415 ... LastLast

Thread: Raekwon - Only Built 4 Cuban Linx... Pt II

OK, I'm listening to this album right now. Kiss The Ring, We Will Rob You, Ason Jones, About Me are superior/classic songs already, I can't wait to hear rest of the songs

Shit is average at best in to my ears.

Doesn't feel like a "Wu-Tang" Lp to me.

Too many beats that I have already been privy too.

I'll go further in depth once I touchback down from up out the plantation.

Quote Originally Posted by Deity Allah View Post

Welcome to the minority

"The day Buddha was born it rained tea instead of water" - Warcloud

^^ i have no doubt that this is the greatest album of the year.. easily surpasses the mainstream releases by Eminem and Jay-Z and it's a little above the crazy dope albums by Blaq Poet/DJ Premier and J Dilla/Pete Rock that dropped this year. listening to it for the 2nd time now, this time blasting it in speakers (had to have headphones yesterday) and all i gotto say is GODDAMN, rae is fucking BACK with this banger.. if it was a little shorter i would probably give it a 5/5 rating in a couple months.

daily updates: news, articles, reviews, the best compilations on the net. that true skool street hop!

r.i.p. Johan D, Kaddu, Ricke a.k.a. "Slick Rick" and the rest of the fallen soldiers - you'll never be forgotten!

i dont know or care if this "feels like a wu-tang record" or not, i just know i love it. the wu sound has been so fractured and diversified so much that that's a meaningless statement. the pillage or dirty weaponry are probably the epitome of "feeling like a wu-tang record" and those albums are straight ass, so who the hell cares. there's not really any reason for this to be called cuban linx II, particularly as ghost isnt on it anywhere near as much as he was on the original and it just generally has a totally different feel from the original. as far as i'm concerned it's just a 2009 raekwon album, it feels like a 2009 raekwon album, and it's sick beyond my highest expectations

Ok, so upon further review, this shit still don't move me.

The best tracks on the album in my opinion are Surgical Gloves, Broken Safety & Have Mercy.

No one song though on the album gives me "goosebumps".

I actually prefer Trife's new album over this which is beyond disappointing.

Anyways,

House of Flying Daggers seems to lose some stream via the album version from the CDQ that leaked a couple of weeks ago.

Sonny's Missing is straight, but the fact that it's over the same beat my boy Royal Flush went in over the Pete Rock NY Finest Lp takes the element of "new" away from it. (The same goes for 10 Bricks = Division's "Brooklyn, Brooklyn", Pyrex Vision = O.C.'s "Jewelz", Canal Street & Baggin' Crack = "A beat I heard before but just can't place from where" & Fat Lady Sings = Memphis Bleek "Who's Sleeping".

As far as everything else, those tracks are just "ight".

Masta Killa has the best verse on the album in my opinion on we will Rob you

Walk me With Me sounds like it will be the best track out of the entire bunch when it is all said and done.

Just my opinion, but I'm glad the majority likes it.

i can imagine how the album would be lessened in impact if you had heard a lot of the beats before. the only one of those i heard was o.c, never picked up that pete rock joint and dont fuck with the other two

o.c. is just the same sample though. i dont really understand how there's this law set in stone for hip hop that producers can't resell a beat, when rappers are apparently happy just being sold a beat which is essentially just a remake of someone else's. and funnily enough, the most obvious one i can remember was one step/dilated worst comes to worst, also produced in the form of a remake by alchemist (and then remade by at least two other people, one for ludacris and one for someone else). and the most famous case of a resold beat was also, guess who, alchemist (ras kass/jadakiss). and the most famous case of a producer getting pissed off about another producer remaking his beat was, guess who, alchemist (ra the rugged man claiming he ripped off his beat for royce's "i'm the king")

in conclusion, alchemist is a faggot and probably stole the forest and the hilton off of people too

Quote Originally Posted by Deity Allah View Post

Yeah pretty much.

Listening to it was an underwhelming experience and reminded me of why i never read anything posted in the wu forum.

I can't really understand how this is getting ratings up around 9/10, whatever though.

Obviously it's just me who feels that Rae can barely flow anymore, he barely bother to rhyme anything. Most tracks feel as though he recorded the vocal separately, and they were layed over the beat at a later stage.

Album starts off at a pretty pedestrian rate, never thought much of House Of Flying Daggers and Sonny's Missing isn't bad, but pretty boring track.

Pyrex Vision is dope, but it's pretty much an interlude though.

Cold Outside is ok, nothing special, the track doesn't really even start until 2 minutes into it. Ghost's flow is good, i've never been a fan of the whiny style he adopted post SC, but at least he sounds lively in comparison to Rae.

Black Mozart is the standout for me. The beat is brilliant, and carries the track. Again though, Rae is lacklustre. When INS verse came along though, it reminded me of why still bother checking for new wu. Shitty hook though.

Gihad is ok, but the beat sounds like mush. I won't bother talking about Rae's flow from here on in. New Wu is as boring as when i first heard it, Meth's verse is good though.

Penitentiary's dope.

Baggin Crack is good.

Surgical Gloves could have been worse, but the beat is a mess in a similar fashion to Gihad. Just a bunch of sounds dumped on top of each other to form an awkward track.

Broken Safety is ok, Jada's verse is a bit retarded, still not bad, but nothing i'd want to listen to more than a few times.

Canal Street is ok, again, very average beat.

Ason Jones is cool, laid back beat.

Have Mercy isn't bad, take Blue Raspberry off and it might have been better. Hearing a beat you've heard before doesn't make for a very interesting listening experience though, the sample is used well during the hook though.

10 Bricks is dope, Cappa's verse is good, he even manages to sound like he's not 50 years old.

Fat Lady Sings is awkward as hell.

Catalina isn't bad, once again, there's something bizarre about the beat, it's almost good, but falls down for some reason. Can't decide why exactly. Obligatory awful hook doesn't help.

We Will Rob You is good, (i'm not going to mention rae's flow again). GZA drops a good verse.

About Me is trash.

Mean Streets isn't terrible, but has some terrible elements. The first minute for instance.

I assume Kiss The Ring was supposed to be an elaborate conclusion, but yeah, doesn't hit the mark.

Overall

Not something i'll be listening to much. Black Mozart will get some spins, because the beat is great. Raekwon, in a way, is better than i thought he would be. Lyrically, it's a good album. His flow is all over the place unfortunately, and in combination with some equally all over the place beats, makes a lot of tracks sound awkward. Listening to an album having heard a handful of the beats/samples before decreases the enjoyment for me personally, so that was a minus in my books.

Right now, 6.5 or 7/10.
    Last edited by rainbow; 09-02-2009 at 09:46 PM.

Don't grab my jacket dunn Hollow Dartz's Avatar

Oh well, you can't satisfy everyone. Have a good life. You still have the Pt. I anyways, throw that on. I don't think 5 copies are gonna effect Raekwon sales LOL.
    Only a few years ago Hip Hop purists may have felt superior listening to hard core while their less enlightened companions snacked on commercial rap. As Shaolin research began to point out the overwhelming benefits of raw production, true hip hop enthusiasts started turning back to traditional styles. Wu-Tang in particular, has been shown to myriad beneficial effects, from warding off ignorance and poverty to reducing the risk of incarceration and death.

everybody has their own opinion i guess but it's crazy that a WU FAN doesn't like this

Who says i (or others that don't love it) don't like it?

It has it's moments, but is nothing special. Not a great move naming it OB4CL2 to me, as i, and some others probably, can't help but compare it to it's incomparable predecessor.

7/10 is a decent score as far as i'm concerned.

Drunk Off Titty Milk!!!! BRONZBODY's Avatar

as long as its better than lds im good. i absolutely loathe that album.

Don't grab my jacket dunn Hollow Dartz's Avatar

How are you gonna compare this to the original? This is 2009 a different time period, a different sound, updated music. I don't get some niggaz logic on here.
    Only a few years ago Hip Hop purists may have felt superior listening to hard core while their less enlightened companions snacked on commercial rap. As Shaolin research began to point out the overwhelming benefits of raw production, true hip hop enthusiasts started turning back to traditional styles. Wu-Tang in particular, has been shown to myriad beneficial effects, from warding off ignorance and poverty to reducing the risk of incarceration and death.

It can't be helped, he labeled it as a sequel, and attempted to capture a similar sound/theme/vibe.

Immobilarity is better than this, even though it had more shitty tracks, the best tracks were far better than pretty much anything on here (except Black Mozart & Pyrex Vision).

Anyway, i should probably stop posting in here before i get flamed off the site.

Just seems insane that people are slapping a 9/10 or even 10/10 rating on this.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Hollow Dartz View Post
    How are you gonna compare this to the original? This is 2009 a different time period, a different sound, updated music. I don't get some niggaz logic on here.

How the fuck don't you get the logic? He titled it "Only Built 4 Cuban Linx part 2" so how the fuck don't you understand comparisons? Do you sit there and say "Nah son, can't compare Back to the Future part 2 with part 1, different time frames yo." I really don't get how people like YOU say "Nah, can't compare, there is nothing to correlate between the two." Yeah, not a thing except for the title.

Anyway, this album was hyped by Rae himself as the greatest thing of all time and all the delays because "I want this shit to be ready, yahhhauhahdhahaha" and then I listen to it and it's nothing more than a nice album. He released this ten years too later.

7/10
    Posts by The Hound are signed TH.

Quoting ≠ Agreement.