Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The 2000s in retrospect

Default The 2000s in retrospect

I just made a thread in the hip-hop section about 2000s underground rap (Immortal Technique, Jedi Mind Tricks, etc), so now I'm feeling a bit nostalgic about that decade. Horrible mainstream rap, but great underground rap. That being said, it was a weird, gaudy, kinda disgusting decade....

9/11
    The Great Recession
    Bush (not evil, just stupid)
    Hurricane Katrina
    School shootings and mall shootings every other week (Virginia Tech, Amish school massacre)
    D.C. sniper attacks (dude turned out to be a Nation of Islam member quoting Killarmy lyrics)
    Pluto no longer the 9th planet from the Sun (???)
    Darfur
    War on Terror

But oh God, the fashion and hairstyles were the worst. Men wore pink Abercrombie shirts with the collars up, Native American bead necklaces, boot cut jeans, etc. Women wore low rise jeans, velvet sweatpants with "Juicy" written on the ass, Ugg boots, etc. It was a disaster all around.

Lol why do you care about Pluto?

Mainstream rap in the early 00s was incredibly dope, I think the 2nd half of the decade is where I lost interest.

Banned

I think it’s funny how now Bush was ok, not the fascist lizard person Hitler he was back then.

Lol shits nuts.

{>____<}

Bush never wanted to be President. That wasn't his true goal.
    Last edited by IrOnMaN; 10-20-2021 at 09:43 PM.
    Loyalty is Royalty. Strength and Loyalty

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by IrOnMaN View Post
    Bush never wanted to be President. He sucked at everything else beside painting.
    Yes poor george. Lol. He had to settle for President.

To be fair, Bush came up with the "compassionate conservative" ideology, but that died by the end of the decade. Republicans realized they had to be apathetic and compassionless (Trump) to win elections, because being a "compassionate conservative" (Romney) just didn't cut it with their new base.

I saw an article recently that said 2008 was the last time Americans were in harmony, politically speaking. I remember everyone hated Bush, and it was kind of nice and endearing. Not in a mean way or anything, but it was nice to see Americans on the same page for once. After 2008, every election has been divided and tribal, and now it's Us vs. Them. I kinda miss when everyone equally hated politicians. There will never been another landslide victory like that again. Too tribal.

{>____<}

Quote Originally Posted by Goldenchild View Post
    To be fair, Bush came up with the "compassionate conservative" ideology, but that died by the end of the decade. Republicans realized they had to be apathetic and compassionless (Trump) to win elections, because being a "compassionate conservative" (Romney) just didn't cut it with their new base.

I saw an article recently that said 2008 was the last time Americans were in harmony, politically speaking. I remember everyone hated Bush, and it was kind of nice and endearing. Not in a mean way or anything, but it was nice to see Americans on the same page for once. After 2008, every election has been divided and tribal, and now it's Us vs. Them. I kinda miss when everyone equally hated politicians. There will never been another landslide victory like that again. Too tribal.
    Don't get me wrong, Bush was a leader and a smart man. I guess you could say wrong time due to 9/11, the start of America's longest war, Hurricane Katrina ('05), and the recession ('08). Three (3) historical events in his presidency was an eye opener. We can admit those were crazy times and if Obama or Trump were president during that time, we'd have a different conversation.

Banned

Bush and Cheney ushered in an era of federal government overreach that is still with us today. Everyone bought in after 9/11, and it enhanced under Obama. Now they want to go into hyperspace with it which is why they are pretending 1/6 was some insurrection and terror threat.

Real reason the establishment turned on trump was because he was airing the CIA’s dirty laundry.

But hey, who am I too say

Before 2016, I didn't even register to vote. I was blissfully ignorant. I like boring presidents like Jimmy Carter who I don't have to see or hear. Then Trump started acting like a 1970s punk rock band and tweeting, and I reluctantly registered to vote. I'm sure I wasn't the only one. And I figured government overreach was always a thing around the world. I miss the Bush and Obama years when I didn't have to think about politics. Now I gotta worry about "neckbeards" and "incels" and "alt right" and weird stuff like that. Trump unleashed a shitstorm and disrupted my blissful ignorance lol. That's the only reason I voted against him. I want my presidents boring as hell

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Goldenchild View Post
    Before 2016, I didn't even register to vote. I was blissfully ignorant. I like boring presidents like Jimmy Carter who I don't have to see or hear. Then Trump started acting like a 1970s punk rock band and tweeting, and I reluctantly registered to vote. I'm sure I wasn't the only one. And I figured government overreach was always a thing around the world. I miss the Bush and Obama years when I didn't have to think about politics. Now I gotta worry about "neckbeards" and "incels" and "alt right" and weird stuff like that. Trump unleashed a shitstorm and disrupted my blissful ignorance lol. That's the only reason I voted against him. I want my presidents boring as hell
    Lol well we all get one vote use it how you want.

The ABBOTT

I miss the concept of not knowing what happened to people or others not knowing about me also. I mean anyone can do a web search or scan social media sites and find something on anyone. The anonymity of the time needs to make a comeback. I also get nostalgic for PS2/OG X box, rap city da basement, magazines/newspapers still being relevant, blockbuster video.

Banned

I miss not looking at a phone screen. I miss not reading my local community page and reading what the same 15 whackos is complaining about. I don’t know why I feel I need to know what these people think.

I’m glad I never got into Twitter or anything beyond Facebook. I can’t imagine being a kid growing up with this shit. It’s not their fault either, it’s just what they’ve been handed.

I actually miss reading the actual sports page. I think social media has changed sports for the worse.

I can’t sit through a professional sports game. I don’t really even watch the Browns anymore.

Ohio state footballand college football is the only thing I can watch and hold attention.

{>____<}

Quote Originally Posted by Dooch View Post

I can’t sit through a professional sports game. I don’t really even watch the Browns anymore.
    They don't suck anymore. The Lions are 0-6 so you should be proud.

I forgot to mention the Islamophobia. Some dude was talking about how Dave Chapelle, a Muslim, didn't speak up during that time to help his people. I kinda see his point. It was open season on Muslims in the 2000s. You could've shot a Muslim and gotten away with it. I remember the System of a Down heavy metal band got beaten up because people thought they were Muslim (they're Armenians lol). People talk about anti-Asian hate today, but I swear it was 10 times worse for Muslims in the 2000s

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by IrOnMaN View Post
    They don't suck anymore. The Lions are 0-6 so you should be proud.
    Yea I know but it’s boring. I just don’t care. I see grown men in jerseys and I just don’t get the attraction to that.