• average

35 27.13%
  • mediocre

36 27.91%
  • wack

31 24.03%
Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Method Man - Tical 0: The Prequel

Not his strongest album, the songs all song like he was trying to go more mainstream. Still has a few good tracks

The turn
    afterparty
    whats happenin
    The prequel - streetlife and meth is almost as good as rae and ghost

^^ add "The Motto" to that list which is a great song IMO.. rest of the album is pretty weak, Meth has great lines allover the album but production is horrible for large parts of the LP.

daily updates: news, articles, reviews, the best compilations on the net. that true skool street hop!

r.i.p. Johan D, Kaddu, Ricke a.k.a. "Slick Rick" and the rest of the fallen soldiers - you'll never be forgotten!

^^ye i forgot that track which is more like the other tical albums. also i dont mind the outro

Don't grab my jacket dunn Hollow Dartz's Avatar

1) Intro

2) The Prequel
    This beat is kind of wack to start off the album, I was expecting better and I can't get into this track. Method Man came ok lyrically on here, but we waited 6-7 years for this one, this should be more grimey. This is the sound of the whole Lp. 3/5

3) Say What
    A club track by Method Man. I'm not really feeling this one either. I heard Missy didn't even want to come through to do the hook. This has too much "commercial-ness" to it Where is the grimey Method Man at? Beat isn't all that great either, you can tell where they were aiming with this one. 2.5/5

4) What Happening
    This is a pretty good track. A nice guest spot by Busta Rhymes on here, he definitely delivers and Method Man comes through on here lyrically. This was a pretty good single at the time. Beat is pretty good, I'm definitely feeling the chemsitry on here. Wish this album had more bangers on this. 3.5/5

5) The Motto
    This is actually ok, but this one is a little too slow for me. Method Man comes through on here lyrically. But this is pretty boring. I won't drag on about this one. 3.5/5

6) We some Dogs
    This joint is wack. I'm mad disappointed. Especially some Red & Meth collab. Snoop couldn't even save this track. Everything from the beat to the hook is wack. 1/5

7) The turn
    The best track on this album. rza came through on here. Raekwon definitely came through on this one he just rips it to shreds on here. This is one hell of a Method Man verse, i even made this my ringtone, he goes in on this shit. The last verse was unexpected but a nice follow up. 4/5

8) Tease
    Another attempt at a radio track. I'm not feeling this one either, pretty wack. We waited 6-7 years for this shit? By this point in the album I'm mad disappointed right now. Meth can do way better. 3/5

9) Rodeo
    Ok I won't lie I'm feeling this one a little bit right here, Ludacris came through on here to keep this alive. I'm feeling the chemistry on here. This could've been the next single. 3.5/5

10) Baby Come on
    This shit is wack. Another radio joint. Where is the grimey Meth on here? 1/5

11) Who ya Rolling With
    I would've gave this shit a 4, but they removed the ODB hook and he ripped that shit. Streetlife sounds wack on this hook. Beat was pretty good, but the hook threw me off on here. 3.5/5

12) Never Hold Back
    This is ok. Not to bad, but nothing special. Method Man delivers on this one I can't lie at all. Hook is ok but we need something better than this. 3.5/5

13) The Show
    This is one of the Last great lyrical performances by Method Man. he definitely came through on here and just goes in as the song goes on. the beat isn't even all that great but Meth just steals the show on here, you have to give him credit on this one. 4/5

14) Act Right
    Why are songs like this on a Method Man album? I'm not even going to waste time. 2/5

15) AfterParty
    This is actually a good banger. Good to hear a Method Man & Ghostface track. Ghost came through on here, great story telling and they both go in on this shit. One of the few good tracks on this album. "Wu-Tang the best rap group of all time" Ghost just goes in on here. 4/5

16) Crooked Letter I
    Another banger from Method Man. This is pretty good. Him and Streetlife deilver on this beat. They steal the show over this beat. You can feel the chemistry on this one, i don't know why Method Man doesn't have some more good shit on this album. 4/5

17) Outro

Beats - 2.5/5
    Lyrics - 3.5/5
    Overall - 3/5

I can't believe I'm even giving a Method Man album this low of a rating. This album should've been grimey as hell. I remember buying this shit just being mad disappointed. Although this did go gold, this was for a straight up commercial audience. I'm at a lost for words for being a Die hard Meth fan. Peace ****Overall 3/5****
    Last edited by Hollow Dartz; 12-09-2008 at 11:42 PM.
    Only a few years ago Hip Hop purists may have felt superior listening to hard core while their less enlightened companions snacked on commercial rap. As Shaolin research began to point out the overwhelming benefits of raw production, true hip hop enthusiasts started turning back to traditional styles. Wu-Tang in particular, has been shown to myriad beneficial effects, from warding off ignorance and poverty to reducing the risk of incarceration and death.

Are U Watching Closely? 11th Chamber's Avatar

yea its almost like they had two completely seperate recordings sessions for this when you listen to it

One with that nasty Meth shit you wanna here

One with the wackest, poppest, fuck shit tracks

But on the real we know what really happened. Altho I kno its Def Jam being wack, Meth still came ass on it a little too often

The bad press this was getting made the album seem ok when I first heard it. But despite a couple of excellent tracks this remains purely a party banger (and good at it). Just no real replay value
    "What is the meanin' of crime? is it Criminals Robbin Innocent Muthafuckaz Everytime?"

Lightbulb

lol! @ the "classic" votes.

I thought it was ok just not Meth at his best.

Worst Wu release ever... But What's Happenin is nice banger...

Oh Meth man. I guess this a cautionary tale in a many ways. Great to heat the real Meth back on 8D though

this is not a very bad album like everyone say, some classic tracks like The Turn, Afterparty, The Show. Why he not perform these tracks live? that would be dope and im not talking only about Method Man, other members also have some classic cuts which they could perform live, not just only 93-96.
    Stay Off The F*&?%$' Flowers

Garbage ass album. This album is proof that Meth can't pick dope beats for shit.
    STAY TUNED.

Quote Originally Posted by Mysta View Post
    Worst Wu release ever...
    Perhaps. Meth just said fuck the Wu sound on this one, he couldn't have stemmed further away from it. And instead he went for generic wack ass funk West Coast wannabe sounding beats. Ummmkay :/
    Last edited by TheWuSepticTank; 01-06-2015 at 02:03 AM.
    STAY TUNED.

SHAOLIN STUDENT

Quote Originally Posted by TheWuCepticon View Post
    Perhaps. Meth just said fuck the Wu sound on this one, he couldn't have stemmed further away from it. And instead he went for generic wack ass funk West Coast wannabe sounding beats. Ummmkay :/
    I don't think so. If I remember Meth wanted RZA to produce the entire album but Def Jam didn't want. They (Russell Simmons) said that RZA last hit was "triumph" or something like that. RZA produced many tracks for the album but the label rejected them ! They called Puff Daddy and other wack producers but it was not Method's choice.

Quote Originally Posted by The blackma View Post
    I don't think so. If I remember Meth wanted RZA to produce the entire album but Def Jam didn't want. They (Russell Simmons) said that RZA last hit was "triumph" or something like that. RZA produced many tracks for the album but the label rejected them ! They called Puff Daddy and other wack producers but it was not Method's choice.
    Yeah I see, but it seems like an emcee of Meth's caliber and clout, could've been supplied better production than this. His last album prior to this was double platinum, Blackout was at least platinum, i believe, Wu still had a platinum and gold album. Not as spectacular of a status as it once was, but still something. It just seems to me that Meth is terrible at picking beats in general, there's almost nothing remotely resembling a serious song on this entire album. It seemed like he made this album without even writing an overall concept, or separate concepts for each song. Like it was intended to be just one big corny party album with genEric Sermon type, funk beats. It just makes no sense.
    Last edited by TheWuSepticTank; 01-27-2015 at 08:11 AM.
    STAY TUNED.

i agree, this still stands as one of the worst Wu-Tang albums of all time. and it's not only the beats, but like you stated above also the concepts and even the rhymes seems a bit off at times. there are bangers on here (The Prequel, The Turn, The Motto, What's Happenin') but they are few and far in between, and the weak songs are so below Method Man's caliber as an emcee that it's almost unforgivable that he would release such a wack ass disc. even Meth knows this shit was wack if you listen to later interviews... and we waited some 6 years for this LOL

even No I.D. has a super wack beat here - "Tease", what the fuck is that?!

daily updates: news, articles, reviews, the best compilations on the net. that true skool street hop!

r.i.p. Johan D, Kaddu, Ricke a.k.a. "Slick Rick" and the rest of the fallen soldiers - you'll never be forgotten!